Sign in with
Your question

I would like to replace / upgrade my graphics card on a Quad CPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 5:13:17 PM

Hi, I've currently have NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 palit and I want to replace it with Gigabyte 460OC 1GB (I dont want to overclock it). I've read somewhere it will create a bottleneck on a system like mine. My questions are is it suitible for my system or will it create a bottle neck and if so can someone suggest a suitible graphics card to upgrade for my computer please?

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40GHz, 4GB RAM, 800MHz, 530W psu

David.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 5:17:22 PM

Sorry for the aburpt title, should be 'I would like to replace / upgrade my graphics card on a Quad CPU`
David
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 5:18:47 PM

You can OC your CPU a little bit (3.0GHz are great, if you can) and don't worry about bottlenecking... :) 

What is your monitor resolution?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 5:27:56 PM

:)  Its a 19" monitor and i can max the screen resolution with 1280 x 1024. Cool thanks for the reply, I'm not getting much from emailing companies.
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 5:35:47 PM

For 19" monitor, GTS250 is more than enough. Now just concern to OC your CPU a little bit...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 5:58:39 PM

Grr someone wanted to charge me £300 to upgrade my graphics card.

My icons and email are slow to respond and I thought that might be the graphics card fault too and thats why it started me thinking a higher seris graphics card might resolve that too apart from the gaming aspect,

Dave
a c 191 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 6:11:32 PM

Unless you're into Metro 2033/Crysis or GTA IV at masive AA settings, Wa1 is correct, the GTS250 should be fine at that resolution.
Slow response might be down to the sytem just needing a good clean out.
September 15, 2010 6:13:45 PM

Quote:

My icons and email are slow to respond and I thought that might be the graphics card fault too and thats why it started me thinking a higher seris graphics card might resolve that too apart from the gaming aspect,

Dave

Lol, aww, I'd be disappointed if my CPU would bottleneck my pc...
I've also got a Q6600 @ 2.4GHz and I'm also thinking about buying the GTX460. What a coincidence ^^.
a c 124 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 6:27:02 PM

Sounds like a much better upgrade would be an SSD. They basically get rid of slow load times altogether. Aside from that, I agree that if you can get a cheap cooler, OC the CPU a little to get some more performance. Unfortunately if the PC was an HP, Dell, Gateway etc, chances are you won't get to OC without a new motherboard.
September 15, 2010 6:28:22 PM

wolfram23 said:
Sounds like a much better upgrade would be an SSD. They basically get rid of slow load times altogether. Aside from that, I agree that if you can get a cheap cooler, OC the CPU a little to get some more performance. Unfortunately if the PC was an HP, Dell, Gateway etc, chances are you won't get to OC without a new motherboard.

Wait. Why? I've got a Dell Vostro 410.
a c 124 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 7:47:18 PM

Hard drives are a primary bottleneck in any system. Quite often the issue with a lot of lag when loading your email or opening iTunes or whatever isn't really related to your CPU performance. It's often simply slow access time on the hard drive. Especially if you don't keep it well defragmented and occasionally optimize it. HDDs are very bad at random read/writes compared to SSDs. The other potential reason is insufficient RAM, which means a lot of file paging is used, and that just compounds the problem because file paging is basically like using your HDD as RAM. Except RAM is like 100x faster (or more). Since you have 4gb RAM I doubt that's the issue.

A GPU has zero effect on loading stuff except for games, and even then it's mostly CPU and HDD. GPUs are mostly only good for rendering, with a few exceptions like some apps can use CUDA or OpenCL to run parallel processes on the GPU to speed up what's happening, but that's more for professional apps like some 3D software. So unless you find your games are running like ***, you don't need a new video card.

The most common praise of an SSD is that the system becomes "snappier" so basically every loads way faster and there's almost no delay between clicking an icon and the application popping up.

If we're talking OCing, it's because those manufacturers don't let you. They use mobo designs from companies like, for example, Asus (called ODM - Original Design Manufacturer) but they modify them. Usually the BIOS is not changeable, it's basically hardwired in, and they basically never ever give the option for overclocking since if you do that and break it, they would probably have to pay to replace what you broke. An aftermarket mobo has (usually) no such limitations so you can update to newer and better BIOS versions with more CPU support or better handling of onboard components, plus tweaks to the BIOS and overclocking.
September 15, 2010 7:55:16 PM

Woah. That sucks. So I'm stuck with my 2.4GHz CPU. Guess that'll bottleneck my system entirely, right?
a c 124 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 8:06:05 PM

Maybe a little bit, but it shouldn't matter whole lot. Plus, you can easily get a $50 or $70 mobo to replace it, and OC away. Add another $50 for a cooler. And, if you're feeling like it, $150-250 for a decent SSD (60 to 80gb maybe 100gb if you're lucky).

But really, no, it won't entirely bottleneck you. Depends what you're doing. CPU usage is usually very low in Windows. Like I said before, the biggest performance bottleneck when doing stuff like opening random programs and browsing around is going to be the hard drive because there's a lot of little random reads and writes.

The first order of business to speed up any system is:
-Delete all unecessary crap - especially most of the preinstalled garbage you get with the system. Also, make sure you only have the programs you need when windows loads. That system tray can get very full of useless programs you never use and it just wastes disk and RAM space as well as CPU time. Either uninstall them, or at least set them to NOT run at startup. You can google other methods of stopping programs from launching at startup.
-Update drivers, chipset drivers, everything you can. Driver Detective can help here.
-Clean your temp files and registry. Ccleaner is really good at this.
-Defragment and if you can leave the PC running on its own for an hour or two, run a defrag + optimization. Auslogics Disk Defrag is quite nice.
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 8:12:11 PM

God if I hear someone say that a standard Q6600 will bottleneck a 460 I'll scream the street down. NO IT WON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to know what people who have said this will, are basing their facts on. Anyone care to reply?
a c 275 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 8:13:23 PM

Quote:

Dave

Your Q6600, GTS250, and 4gb should be sufficient for normal asks.

That said, I think you have a problem somewhere.

Start with checking for a virus, spyware, or malware.

If you do not already have a good security system, start with Microsoft security essentials. It is good, free, and very unobtrusive. You could also run spybot search and destroy to check for bad programs on your system.

Look at your installed programs. Is there anything there that you do not recognize or is not needed.

Look at the startup list of programs. Is there anything you don't need or recognize?

When running, start the windows performance monitor.
Do you see any programs that are taking up lots of cpu, ram, or I/o?

To assess the value of a better graphics card, run this test:
Run your games, but reduce the resolution and eye candy to a minimum. This will simulate what will happen if you upgrade to a stronger graphics card. If your FPS improves, it indicates that your cpu is capable of driving a stronger graphics card to higher levels of FPS.

There is really no such thing as a bottleneck where improving a part of your PC will actually slow things down. If the improvement is not the current limiting factor, then you will do better, but not as much as you hoped.

For normal everyday usage, I love the SSD. You might consider getting one when the new crop of more affordable ssd's arrive this fall. It makes everything feel snappier.
September 15, 2010 8:57:24 PM

Kkkk1 said:
God if I hear someone say that a standard Q6600 will bottleneck a 460 I'll scream the street down. NO IT WON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to know what people who have said this will, are basing their facts on. Anyone care to reply?

I read it somewhere on these forums, sir. + Everyone's telling me to OC it, which I can't. -.-
I've just checked it.
Thanks for the info though.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 9:28:55 PM

Hi,

Thank you all for the responses and useful information. As for a slow system I had to change my window live mail security settings due to the IP, to adjust the server timeouts to wait 5 minutes amongst other security settings.

I noticed the slower response times after I put my Canon Photo software on... so that must be loading something at start up. Then backup software from seagate external hardrive (2 icons in my in tray), superantispyway from google, steam, logitech profiler for a steering wheel.

The performance index graphics and gaming graphics 6.9, hard drive 5.9, CPU & RAM 7.1.

As for miscellanous programs I have Kaspersky internet software. I'll tranfer my photo software back on my old pc at sometime

As for graphics The Tesco's favorites page shoot to the top of the page every time you add an item to your basket now. Sorry if that seem infintile to mention.

and i defrag 2 times a month. WD hard drives are faster I just dont trust them.

LlStrike, great to share a problem with same rig,

Dave
a c 124 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 9:47:55 PM

^sounds like you're doing pretty good then. WEI isn't the best benchmark, but those scores are pretty good. HDD at 5.9 is pretty typical. WD drives, like you say, are indeed a bit faster and can get that score up to a low 6, but an SSD goes up to around 7.1.

The Canon software most likely does boot up a background app to check when the camera gets plugged in. You might be able to disable that and then manually open the program when you plug it in.
a c 275 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 10:19:51 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you all for the responses and useful information. As for a slow system I had to change my window live mail security settings due to the IP, to adjust the server timeouts to wait 5 minutes amongst other security settings.

I noticed the slower response times after I put my Canon Photo software on... so that must be loading something at start up. Then backup software from seagate external hardrive (2 icons in my in tray), superantispyway from google, steam, logitech profiler for a steering wheel.

The performance index graphics and gaming graphics 6.9, hard drive 5.9, CPU & RAM 7.1.

As for miscellanous programs I have Kaspersky internet software. I'll tranfer my photo software back on my old pc at sometime

As for graphics The Tesco's favorites page shoot to the top of the page every time you add an item to your basket now. Sorry if that seem infintile to mention.

and i defrag 2 times a month. WD hard drives are faster I just dont trust them.

LlStrike, great to share a problem with same rig,

Dave

Do you need the canon photo software? I have no problem downloading from my Canon camera with nothing but Windows default software. For a canon printer, I only download the driver software. Look carefully at what components you need and use. Software suites from Canon and HP may also keep calling home to see if there are any updated.

Your system is fine, you need to get rid of apps you don't constantly use residing permanently in your system. Load and run them as needed.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 10:44:59 PM

I use the canon photo software rarly I didn't think of disabling the camera software, to use to seeing the camera window pop up when connected and downloading the photos in the shooting month/date/time folder! I can exit the tray icons i dont use on boot up,

Dave
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2010 5:10:29 PM

wolfram23 said:

-Update drivers, chipset drivers, everything you can. Driver Detective can help here.
-Clean your temp files and registry. Ccleaner is really good at this.
-Defragment and if you can leave the PC running on its own for an hour or two, run a defrag + optimization. Auslogics Disk Defrag is quite nice.

I thought Drive detective programmes were keylogger, virus software?

Dave
a c 124 U Graphics card
September 17, 2010 5:34:26 PM

...? I'm sure it's entirely possible that some are, sure. Why not? But that's a pretty broad and, well, odd assumption to make.
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 17, 2010 5:37:58 PM

The title of this topic has been edited by Mousemonkey
!