Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my current PC

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2010 5:07:08 AM

Hello!

I recently bought myself a hd4870 vapor-x GPU, and get amazing results but I've heard that my system could be much better if I upgraded certain things..

my current setup:
GPU:stated above
CPU:Intel Duo E5300
MOBO: MSI M-7383(something like that, its a really cheap one)
RAM:4GB DDR2
PSU:Thermaltake Litepower 500W

Now, what I was thinking of upgrading were the CPU and the Mobo to the following..
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
MOBO: Asus M4A79XTD Evo 790X AM3 ATX

Now my friend told me that the mobo only supports DDR3 Ram, I would need to upgrade my RAM to DDR3..is this true?
If so I would get this one:
2x2048MB Kingston ValueRam DDR3-1333 CL9 Kit

Thanks for your help guys, and im sorry if this is a little confusing but im really tired :S

More about : upgrading current

a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2010 5:16:42 AM

Your friend is right, that new motherboard would need DDR3 RAM. It is possible for you to upgrade to an AM2+ (instead of AM3) motherboard that would support the 955 BE processor as well as your DDR2 RAM if you wanted to save some money now, but DDR3 is the way things are going. Up to you!
m
l
November 5, 2010 5:22:52 AM

alright, i think ill go with the ddr3. Is the hardware I picked good(MOBO+RAM) or are there any better ones? (after the CPU, I've got around 150 euros)
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2010 5:53:08 AM

Yep, you've got a nice motherboard and decent RAM. I prefer fancier memory usually, but that stuff will do the trick.

I'd personally pick either the Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 motherboard or the Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 if you can get them instead, but thats just my preference. The Gigabyte 790/890 boards are quite nice also if you did want to keep that particular chipset.
m
l
November 5, 2010 6:51:09 AM

Is there anything better about the GIGABYTE boards?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2010 4:13:19 PM

Nah nothing really, I just prefer them personally. As for motherboards in general though, Asus ones are perfectly fine - just make sure you're not paying for a bunch of extra stuff (like extra PCI-E video card slots if you're just using 1 card).
m
l
!