CPU upgrade no boot.. HELP

harleydog21

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
So basically here is the deal.. I'm upgrading my compaq presario desktop with a new processor.. Single-Dual core.. I put the new processor in carefully.. booted it up had really no problems.. Me being in the mood I was decided to take out everything clean it all out with compressed air and put it back together.. When I boot up now it gets power for a second fans spin, there is a single beep and everything shuts off.. the computer stays with the green LED light like there is power but nothing happens.. I've now put my old CPU back in with no problems everything runs fine.. Are there any ideas? I will post my specs if you think it will help.. I'd really like any suggestions as I'm sick of a single core... BAHHH help!

harleydog21

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Also could you be a little more specific? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you completely but how would booting the mobo outside the case fix a short? I'm now getting beep codes which are pointing to my psu or mobo but i've had the psu tested and its fine

harleydog21

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Motherboard - Asus a8ae-le
PSU - 300W
Processer - AMD Athlon 64 4000+
Video Card - ATI Radeon X 1650 Pro, PCI-E, 512MB
Hard Drive - 200GB SATA HD, 7200 RPM
3GB DDR RAM

I have researched the Mainboard and it is compatible with the Athlon 64, my old processor was a Athlon 64 (V) 3500+ 2.2 GHz (Single core). I tried taking everything out besides the PCU PSU and a stick of RAM and booting it on the table, but I get the same results, fans sputter then stop.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Your PSU isn't powerful enough for the new twin-core CPU. 300W is OLD news.

How to test: Remove the graphics card to lower the load on the PSU. If the PC boots up then, then you know what the problem is. If it doesn't leave a reply and I'll try again! :D

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hmm... Sorry, didn't take the time to read the entire post. Just saw 300W PSU and dual-core CPU and went "PSU CRAZY". I wanted to say your OS is screwed after the PSU one, but it seems it really is the PSU. If the fan only spins up for a second, I am willing to say it is actually the PSU. Remember, 300W is WEAK, most new GFX cards use much, much more than that alone, so you cannot expect to run it all the way. My guess is that the cleanup boosted system performance a little, enough to take the last little bit of power from the PSU.

I ran a simple setup: Basic motherboard, GFX card, CPU, RAM, HDD, everything on a PSU that seemed cool (ran fine, didn't heat up). I switched motherboards (swopped to a newer one), and the PC did the same, even with minimal peripheral components running (only CPU, RAM and HDD was on). I had to purchase a newer PSU, and everything was fine.

Trust me, borrow a stronger PSU from a friend (400W should do) and test it again, with the stronger PSU.

PSU's lose their power over time, and they don't like changes (you cleaned it up, and that was probably the last straw for the cheap caps and things inside, and boosted it's loss. Now it's more or less a paperweight... :/

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Let me tell you what my PC did:

It ran fine with motherboard, RAM, CPU, HDD, optical drive, GFX card.

I swopped motherboards, and ran it with only RAM, CPU, HDD.

Press "ON" button, PC goes "whhooooiiiieeeeeshhh..... beep... sssshhiiieeeeewwwhhhooo{silence}"... Motherboard LED stays on (it is still getting power after all), but when you switch it on, it repeat above noises with no display on screen. Takes about two seconds for everything to complete.

harleydog21

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
hmm, well I figure I should probably replace my PSU anyway as its pretty old and like you said they can lose some of their power over time.. Do you think 400w would be plenty? or should I go larger? thanks for the response

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Well, 400W would work, but it would still be dodgy. Most good manufacturers don't produce low-powered PSU's anymore (there is no market for it anymore, even basic workstations require 400W or more nowadays), meaning you would probably look into the 500W~600W range of PSU's.

I'd recommend the Corsair CX500 anytime for someone with a basic rig. It's not really expensive, and confirms to the new 80Plus PSU's scheme where all participating brands are build their PSU's with an efficiency of at least 80% (80% of the power put in is placed into the PC, minimizing energy loss to heat/cheap components). It's also a quiet PSU with its large 120mm fan moving more air than the standard 80mm~90mm fans on generic PSU's. The 500W power also gives you enough headroom for additional (and more powerful) components, and with what you have now you can OC without worries about the PSU.

harleydog21

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
So back to the drawing board here.. I upgraded my PSU today and I still am having the same issue.. Is it possible my CPU is fried or would my case fan still spin? Right now I have the mobo out and I'm just table booting with the bare necessaties hooked up.. What else could it be?

TRENDING THREADS