Solved

How to add another HDD?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 15, 2013 8:27:27 PM

Hello,

As of now, I have a 500GB HDD. I am upgrading my MOBO, so I am going to buy another HDD, because I am getting close to that 500GB mark. I really dont want to re-install all my stuff, so I want to keep my original 500gb hard drive, and add another one. Can I just plug it into the sata drive? Or do I have to wipe my first hard drive? Thanks for the help.

Ryan

More about : add hdd

Best solution

February 15, 2013 8:45:56 PM

You do not need to re-install.

1. Buy the second drive.
2. Plug it into an available SATA port.
3. Format and partition the drive.

You will then have you primary 500GB C:\ drive and your new HDD most likely as D:\

For all purposes your storage drive is basically a very large flash drive.

Edit: Sorry didn't see you were getting a new Mobo gimme a moment, gotta take a call at work. ha

Edit 2: Once you move the HDD to the new Mobo youre going to need to run a windows repair as it wont be setup that that chipset. You also wont have the drivers for some of your mobo components installed so you will need to install those as well.

Also, was your copy of Windows installed by the manufacturer or did you purchase Windows? If you did not purchase the OS yourself you will most likely run into problems transferring the license.
Related resources
February 15, 2013 8:57:04 PM

crazyg0053 said:

1. Buy the second drive.

You will then have you primary 500GB C:\ drive and your new HDD most likely as D:\

Edit: Sorry didn't see you were getting a new Mobo gimme a moment, gotta take a call at work. ha

OK, so a new motherboard has an effect on the hard drives?
m
l
February 15, 2013 9:00:52 PM

crazyg0053 said:

1. Buy the second drive.

Edit 2: Once you move the HDD to the new Mobo youre going to need to run a windows repair as it wont be setup that that chipset. You also wont have the drivers for some of your mobo components installed so you will need to install those as well.

Also, was your copy of Windows installed by the manufacturer or did you purchase Windows? If you did not purchase the OS yourself you will most likely run into problems transferring the license.

I purchased a copy of windows 7 from newegg so I don't think that will be a problem as long as I still have the physical copy right?
m
l
February 15, 2013 9:03:50 PM

You will need to reactivate windows on the new motherboard. You shouldn't run into any problems as your copy of windows will allow you to activate multiple times.
m
l
February 15, 2013 9:05:44 PM

Alright, so simply install the new mobo, plug the existing hard drive in with the new, and run the copy of windows 7? Seems simple enough even for me, haha.
m
l
February 15, 2013 9:15:06 PM

Best answer selected by ryanrhino24.
m
l
February 15, 2013 9:17:14 PM

Yup

1. Install the new mobo (leave the new HDD disconnected for now)
2. Windows should boot up
3. If it does not, use the windows disk you have to run a repair
4. When windows loads, go to Computer -> System Properties. On the right it will say windows needs to be activated
5. Activate windows with the serial that came with your copy
6. Hook up the new HDD
7. Format/partition the new HDD
m
l
!