Sign in with
Your question
Solved

System building nightmare

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2010 2:35:05 PM

I've been having nothing but problems with a new build..

Components:

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX950-D-B 950W (Yes I know I should have went with a better PSU)

40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5

Here are the problem(s):

First an easy one. In BIOS the character "6" appears to be glitched. Every instance of the number "6" shows up fuzzy with dots over it. In the Windows 7 install screen there are weird red lines and dots all over. This problem was solved by putting in an older graphics card. Everything looks fine now. Original graphics card is bad?

Problem 2. When installing windows 7, 90% of the time the computer will restart at 0% of "Expanding Windows Files". 10% of the time it will restart before reaching this point. This is usually preceded by my dvd spinning very fast. If I'm installing on a fresh format and it restarts, the next time I try to install it shows that a little over 1gb of the drive is now occupied. So the install is starting, it is just messing up during the install.

I tried to put in an old WinXP Corp CD and an old WinXP tiny CD and I get errors before it can even load the installer. I have also tried a different DVD of the Win7 install disk.

I first replaced my mother board, and nothing has changed. I have tried each 2gb RAM stick individually and come up with the same problems. Replacing the, presumably, bad gfx card has done nothing. I believe my cpu is fine, it is idle at 31 C.

Next steps? Replace my DVD drive? Replace my hard drive? Any chance this is the PSU? Any chance it was the mobo and both ones Ive used are bad?

I'm really at a loss here.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2010 4:07:09 PM

I'd run memtest on your memory first - not common but it might be a bad package altogether. I've had 2 bad sticks in a 4gb kit before... Also, make sure they are in the right slots. I think that board was a bit picky (I have it too).

Secondly I'd try your PSU. Those Gigabyte motherboards are usually great - Rosewill power supplies on the other hand...
November 5, 2010 4:57:41 PM

Update... attached an external cd rom... got past 0%. It is presently installing. omg..

Question though about the original vid card displaying the character "6" oddly in BIOS. Is the card bad or is this normal? I've never seen this before.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2010 7:00:29 PM

That's kind of a weird one... I think it would be a bad card if you're getting anything odd like that (and it looks normal with a different card). You could try it out and see if any other odd things happen while in Windows or games, but you might need to send that one back...
m
l
November 5, 2010 7:17:17 PM

Best answer selected by Michcarr.
m
l
!