Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Am i bottlenecking?

Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2011 11:35:52 PM

id like to start off my saying that I am new to these forums
I recently bought an asus gtx 460 1g graphcis card and im worried that its making my q8200 bottleneck (a quad core running at 2.33ghz not overclocked). So is this card making my cpu bottleneck? Im worried that its impairing my graphics cards full potential. Am also scared about overclocking my cpu because its runing at like 50c while just using the internet browser with a stock fan. I dont wanna waste 300 dollars to get a new card that will fit a 775 socket, because id rather get like an i7... And on top of that i have no money to spend... Will over clockig my graphics card via smart doctor help?Any advice? Im a newbie.. Thanks in advance

More about : bottlenecking

a c 899 à CPUs
a c 1410 U Graphics card
January 30, 2011 11:55:50 PM

Overclocking the CPU is the only thing that will help if the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. The question is, are you happy with the performance? There is nothing dangerous about a bottleneck but you would need an after market cooler for your CPU to overclock it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 12:08:18 AM

Compare benchmarks on your machine to those they get in GTX 460 1G reviews. A Q8200 is decent enough so you should not see too many bottlenecks with that setup. Could you tell us about your build a little bit more. If you are not running 4GB DDR2 800MHz, there is a chance your RAM bottlenecks a little--but it's still probably your CPU or graphics.

If you don't have a good CPU cooler, you must be very careful about overclocking. Go into your bios and check the fan and Health settings. Make sure your CPU fan is currently set high enough (qualitative--highest settings may be too noisy). Make sure you system has shut-down temperatures enabled. Also, make sure that you have an exhaust fan on your case. An intake fan is pretty important too. Depending on your motherboard and what fans you use, these may be adjustable like the CPU fan too.

The Core 2 Quad's I've overclocked on stock coolers (Q6600 & Q9400) have good thermal throttling so when my CPU reaches near 70'C, they slow themselves down a bunch and drop the temps into the 50's when I'm running CPU stress tests. You can keep an eye on temps and benchmark results from LinX to watch that happen. If you have good thermal throttling, you don't have to be too afraid--but ALWAYS watch your temps when you first overclock a machine.

I got the Q6600 (2.4 stock) to 3.0GHz and the Q9400 (2.66 stock) to 3.2GHz with no voltage increases--this is key because voltage really increases temps. You've got some good headroom on your processor. With an overclocked Q8200, you shouldn't see CPU bottlenecks--not that you should see them too much on stock settings either.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2011 12:08:52 AM

I am not sure if i am bottlenecking.. how can i tell? I was thinking about spending maybe a max of like 50 dollars on a cpu fan so i can overclock my q8200. If i do what speed should i overclock it too, and if my computer is a hp pavilion will the overclocking feature be disabled or locked? OH and isnt like 48c too muc for a cpu in idle? im suing piriform speccy. Oh i have 6 gbs of ram. are there any programs i can use for benchmarking? like something that can play a video or something and show me my results?
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 12:29:21 AM

HP, Dell Gateway the likes of the those companies lock the bios out of overclocking features for a good reason.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 12:35:32 AM

You probably can't do much, if any, overclocking with that HP. I was able to do a little with my Gateway Athlon x2 in the past. To check bottlenecking, benchmark your PC and compare it to GTX 460 scores in reviews--those systems rarely have anything other than graphics bottlenecks. Some games have benchmarks. Futuremark has benchmarks you can download (http://www.futuremark.com/download/). Pretty much all reviews have their scores--although they don't necessarily reflect gaming benchmarks, which you would have to own the game to do.

As far as 6GB RAM. That probably means 2x2GB and 2x1GB. Your RAM will likely run faster with 2x2GB because your computer can run it in symmetrical Dual Channel mode.
m
l
January 31, 2011 12:36:39 AM

so all hp boises are locked? and again how can i tell if i am bottlenecking

m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 12:40:34 AM

Yes all hp bios are locked. I use a Q8200 in one of my rigs but it is OC to 3.1 Ghz and has been for over a year now with no problems. At stock speed I believe its low clock speed is just gonna bottleneck anything. The Q8200 is a great multimedia CPU but thats about it at stock speed.

What games do you play and at what resolution?
m
l
January 31, 2011 12:50:47 AM

i play at my monitors native 1600 by 1150
these are the games i have: World of Warcraft, call of duty 4, Garry's mod, Counter strike source, left 4 dead, Hl2 and those kinds of games.
Im thinking of getting crysis.
Q8200 stock speed 2.33ghz, so it is gonna be bottlenecking my Gpu? that sucks..
What kinda benchmarks can i run to see my preformance?
Will overclocking my Gpu help lol?
Is there anything i can do?
Oh and my 6 gbs of ram are in 4 slots. 2x2gb and 2x1gb
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2011 12:53:04 AM

To reiterate what others have said: In order to see if you are bottelnecking your system, run a benchmark and compare with those of a more modern system with a GTX 460. If you are at par with the score, you are fine, if you are a little low, then you have a slight one.
m
l
January 31, 2011 12:58:21 AM

where can i compare my scores compared to others? right now i am downloading 2 benchmarks
Oh, and im pretty sure 48c is very hot for a cpu in idle, is there anything i can do about that?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2011 1:11:44 AM

You have a stock cooler and an intel processor, that kind of heat is to be expected. When you do your benchmark, you can post it online (most of them anyways) and then you compare.
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:20:19 AM

i cant oc my cpu but can i oc my ram? but only 2 of the 4 sticks have a heatspread? My motherborad is a Pentagon Corporation Benicia. Have you ever head of it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 1:51:59 AM

Typically, both your RAM and CPU get overclocked at the same time. How the computer accesses RAM (single, dual, triple channel) depends on the configuration of the RAM attached. You can install Memtest86+ to a flash stick and boot to the flash stick (usually listed as a hard drive) and check your RAM speeds with various RAM configurations.

Suppose you have slots 1, 2, 3, & 4. Your motherboard can typically run dual channel if you put two sticks in--one in each slots 1 & 2. But these two sticks must run at identical settings. Slot 3 runs on the same channel as 1 and 2 with 4, so if you want 4 sticks to run in dual channel, you'd need identical sticks in all four slots. If you do not use identical sticks (such as 6GB RAM configurations on non X58 systems), it will run single channel mode from all slots. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Disclaimer: There's a possibility that you could run RAM A in slots 1 & 2 and RAM B in 3 & 4 or maybe it's 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 and still do dual channel--but I don't think so.
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:55:14 AM

ok here are the results of one of the benchmarks tests tell me how i did plz but keep im mind i was donwload 2 more benchmarks and had several windows opened while this was going on , i dont know if that matters but plz respond!
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/551696;jsessionid=A810E66A776C3E89238DB5DB295527F2?show_ads=true&page=%2F3dm11%2F551696%3Fkey%3DLwKz2UyRADMF65ayxh5PYKrcjW4tXv
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 1:55:48 AM

Also, don't bother getting a fancy CPU cooler if you don't have fans venting in AND out of your case--otherwise it's like running your CPU in an oven--blowing more hot air past it will can't cool it down too much.

Heatspreaders are really only useful if you really overclock your RAM. I've been running some DDR2 800 with no heatspreaders at 960 for months and haven't had an issue--also I'm lucky that this is good RAM ($40 2x2GB on Fry's deal 2 years ago).
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:57:03 AM

I think i did my ram wrong!! oh no the person at the store screwed me over cheak the link for ram descriptions!!
plz looks at the test! 3 more tests are on thier way thanks!! If i get a lower quality graphics card that will not make my bottleneck will this increase my performance?
If yes what card should i get?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 2:03:53 AM

Yes it matters. The only way people can compare computers is if they're all the same--which means a fresh restart with nothing running in the background. Antivirus disabled as well.

Btw, if you're running Antivirus, some really slow your computer down. Avast is great and AVG is solid. Norton & McAfee are resource hogs and slow your computer down like you have a virus or something.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 2:05:44 AM

Also run your benchmark on default settings and try it with different RAM settups. Try two your two corsair sticks in the same colored slots.
m
l
January 31, 2011 2:10:47 AM

dalauder said:
Also run your benchmark on default settings and try it with different RAM settups. Try two your two corsair sticks in the same colored slots.

yea right now i have them in the same coloured slots
m
l
January 31, 2011 2:11:52 AM

ok! after this install i will restart my computer how do i know what settting they are using?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 2:34:42 AM

There are "Performance", "High", and "Extreme" Presets. Look at the reviews from Tom's Hardware links I sent you.
m
l
January 31, 2011 2:47:09 AM

Ah.. this is my score from the default settings http://3dmark.com/3dmv/2892119
I think the default setting are on preformance i dont know but thats what it says on the options tab. How did i do? now im going to try to 3d mark 11 test. Do you think i did well or? oh and thanks for your opinions! XD
How did i do?! ill get back to you with 3d mark 11 test!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 2:57:38 AM

Notice on http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-rou... that they run the benchmark with PPU disabled. Try doing that so that you can compare your scores directly to the review.

Your scores seem to be on the low end, but not bad. You should get about 12,600 on your GPU score at default video card settings (675Mhz core, 1800MHz memory). You get 11,700 on a non-optimized system (non-overclocked with manual instead of "auto" settings).

You could try adjusting your GPU speeds (MSI afterburner or Galaxy Xtreme tuner) by 5% and see if your scores change. If they improve, then it's not a CPU bottleneck on this program.

Disable PPU (Physics Processing Unit).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 3:03:45 AM

Also, your computer will run faster with your antivirus disabled. I'd close my browser window and disable startup items by running msconfig. Btw, Windows 7 is much faster than Vista and that could be hurting your score that 8% between 12,600 and 11,700.
m
l
January 31, 2011 3:08:06 AM

Id like to run the vantage test again but it would not let me.. and i could not change the ppu after i ran the test. ill have to somehow get another trial key but i will try it again with ppu, yea and i hate crummy vista... its just a hog of everything.. expecially memory, right now it isnt doing to bad but its using 2gb of my 6bg or memory and the only think i have open is this window sometimes to gets to like 2.5 and higher! Here are my latest results for the 3d mark 11 basic edition benchmark test
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/551942;jsessionid=6B67DBC0317261074A3C68AAB2306104?show_ads=true&page=%2F3dm11%2F551942%3Fkey%3DxAYDLEmVJKVnrN3pu36weLYYrWM5t6
m
l
January 31, 2011 3:11:15 AM

Quote:
Op at that resolution you rmaking it harder for the cpu. At high resolutions the cpu wont play so much of a part. But at lower resolutions it plays more of a part. So try and get a 1080p monitor. It will make things easier

lol i will when i get the money! right now i guess my hp w2207h 22 inch will have to do! so you want me to try it again at my monitors native? 1680 x 1050?
m
l
January 31, 2011 3:11:54 AM

dalauder said:
Also, your computer will run faster with your antivirus disabled. I'd close my browser window and disable startup items by running msconfig. Btw, Windows 7 is much faster than Vista and that could be hurting your score that 8% between 12,600 and 11,700.

Disable all the startup programs then restart computer?
So how do you think i did guys?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 3:48:54 AM

It doesn't look like a CPU bottleneck to me. 11,700 on Vista versus 12,600 on Windows 7 on a top of the line i7 (w/trip channel DDR3). Slightly faster CPU or RAM might make a tiny difference. You'd probably get the biggest bump if you overclocked your video card.

For that I basically use a utility like Galaxy Xtreme Tuner to increase clocks and then a benchmark program like PassMark (only the 3D graphics tests) along with Furmark (or 3DMark06 + Furmark) to check for artifacting. No errors or artifacts and I increase the speed until errors or a video driver crash (which requires a shutdown with no video a lot of the time). After finding my max OC, I dial it down a notch and leave at at those settings permanently (unless I encounter in-game crashing). It only takes me about 30 min nowadays to get nearly a max OC.

Of course you'd want to monitor your temps while doing this. Furmark is great to see your max GPU temps.
m
l
January 31, 2011 6:36:12 PM

dalauder said:
It doesn't look like a CPU bottleneck to me. 11,700 on Vista versus 12,600 on Windows 7 on a top of the line i7 (w/trip channel DDR3). Slightly faster CPU or RAM might make a tiny difference. You'd probably get the biggest bump if you overclocked your video card.

For that I basically use a utility like Galaxy Xtreme Tuner to increase clocks and then a benchmark program like PassMark (only the 3D graphics tests) along with Furmark (or 3DMark06 + Furmark) to check for artifacting. No errors or artifacts and I increase the speed until errors or a video driver crash (which requires a shutdown with no video a lot of the time). After finding my max OC, I dial it down a notch and leave at at those settings permanently (unless I encounter in-game crashing). It only takes me about 30 min nowadays to get nearly a max OC.

Of course you'd want to monitor your temps while doing this. Furmark is great to see your max GPU temps.

I have the asus smart doctor utility that came with my graphics card, but i dont know what to set the speeds to.
These are the current settings of it.
Vcore: 1.05
Engine:675MHz
Memory: 3600
This is what its at right now what should i set them too? and so you dont think i bottlenecking to much? and i should keep this card?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 10:16:35 PM

Click on the Specifications tab on this website to see default settings: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-us...

You are at default settings (Note that memory 3600MHz is the same as 1800MHz, depending on if you count clock rate or data rate [DDR means Double Data Rate because DDR Ram sends data twice per clock cycle]). Your voltage seems to be a little higher than average (just means the manufacturer set it high). This website has some good goals to shoot for while overclocking: http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/781197-gtx-460-default-...

I personally don't like to touch voltage when overclocking graphics. Be careful if you do and monitor your temps (like with HWMonitor or GPU-Z) whenever overclocking. Voltage bumps should be extremely small (both for CPU or GPU)--on the order of 1.05V to 1.0525V. You can bump it more, but don't do something like 1.05V to 1.2V unless you know what you're doing or feel like gambling. When overclocking CPU's manually set voltages to defaults (or a little higher) because the Auto setting often scales with clock speed and can overvoltage components.

If you're going to overclock, it's good to start slow and carefully until you get the hang of it. It doesn't hurt to read up on it as much as possible and to check manufacturer specified heat and voltage limits. For speeds to use--don't try to up your core from 675MHz to 800 all in one go. Try 700 then 725 then 745 then 760--taking smaller jumps as you get closer to your anticipated maximum. And don't do memory and core at once--find your max individually then see if they can work together. Distorted image artifacts (corrupt squares, lines, etc.) are usually memory and snowing is core. Memory artifacts can damage your card permanently so stay away from them if you're getting them.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you fry your machine. MONITOR YOUR TEMPS!

(Also, choose a best answer on this thread at some point because it gives the best answer extra points.)
m
l
January 31, 2011 10:40:35 PM

im new to this i dont know what points are for! and if i chose best answer can i continue this? I dont know what i am doing with this overclocking how can i show you a screen shot of asus smart doctor? What are memory artifacts and how do i know if i have them are they bad? asus smart doctor is showing me that im running at about 35c on like idle, OHh and another thing how do i cheak if it is stable?! thanks a big thing!
m
l
January 31, 2011 10:59:55 PM

dalauder said:
Click on the Specifications tab on this website to see default settings: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-us...

You are at default settings (Note that memory 3600MHz is the same as 1800MHz, depending on if you count clock rate or data rate [DDR means Double Data Rate because DDR Ram sends data twice per clock cycle]). Your voltage seems to be a little higher than average (just means the manufacturer set it high). This website has some good goals to shoot for while overclocking: http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/781197-gtx-460-default-...

I personally don't like to touch voltage when overclocking graphics. Be careful if you do and monitor your temps (like with HWMonitor or GPU-Z) whenever overclocking. Voltage bumps should be extremely small (both for CPU or GPU)--on the order of 1.05V to 1.0525V. You can bump it more, but don't do something like 1.05V to 1.2V unless you know what you're doing or feel like gambling. When overclocking CPU's manually set voltages to defaults (or a little higher) because the Auto setting often scales with clock speed and can overvoltage components.

If you're going to overclock, it's good to start slow and carefully until you get the hang of it. It doesn't hurt to read up on it as much as possible and to check manufacturer specified heat and voltage limits. For speeds to use--don't try to up your core from 675MHz to 800 all in one go. Try 700 then 725 then 745 then 760--taking smaller jumps as you get closer to your anticipated maximum. And don't do memory and core at once--find your max individually then see if they can work together. Distorted image artifacts (corrupt squares, lines, etc.) are usually memory and snowing is core. Memory artifacts can damage your card permanently so stay away from them if you're getting them.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you fry your machine. MONITOR YOUR TEMPS!

(Also, choose a best answer on this thread at some point because it gives the best answer extra points.)

How can i check if it is stable, i set my voltage down to 1.025v from the original 1.05v and the temperature went up... and when i trried to set it back it asks me if i want to continue because i was going over factory defaults. Im using the Asus SmartDoctor software that came with my gpu and it only lets me put the voltage up to 1.1 and the mhz to 1000 at max for what i cans ee right now
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2011 11:57:23 PM

You're not going to exceed 1000MHz for the core (probably won't exceed 900MHz). And you don't want to go over whatever voltage listed in the link I posted I think it was 1.08 and some change. For stability, run Furmark--like I said in my above posts and a benchmark like PassMark or 3DMark. You can't be sure it's stable until you play games with the settings for a while. Stability is more qualitative than quantitative. When you're satisfied that it's stable--that's good enough.

My process is:
1) Set clocks
2) Run Benchmark
3) Record max temps during benchmark and benchmark results (Keep temps under manufacturer specs [or ~90'C, Furmark will get HOT]. See the overclock.net link I sent you)
4) Repeat

I repeat until I experience artifacting or crashing. I then reset settings and go for my max clock on Memory using the same steps. For final settings, I usually use settings a notch (~10MHz, but more a qualitative thing) below what caused artifacting or crashing.
m
l
February 1, 2011 12:02:41 AM

why does future mark take so long? what settings should i be using what shoul i put it to? it ran for 23 mins then i accidentally closed it, my card went at 75C max is that good/?
m
l
February 1, 2011 12:11:05 AM

it wont let me record temps while im benchmarking only while stability testing
m
l
February 1, 2011 12:11:33 AM

how do i know if i get an error will it say?
m
l
February 1, 2011 12:21:36 AM

right now im running 810mhz on 1.037v. but when i try to bump it up to 1.04v it just jumbs to 1.05 and says increase by 3 with a error of 10 is that normal? my fps ir sure going up tho. im only running the bench marking temps in the windowed mode so i can see the gpu tem on the asus card. should i run the whole stability test? i dont think i got any errors yet because i did not get a message. I think i can increase my fan speed from the asus smart doctor, but i think its on like an auto detect and deals with heat its own way so i dont wanna touch that.
m
l
February 1, 2011 12:43:09 AM

Ok i set my card to 1.037 volts because i read that people get to like 850 at like 1.025v
i set the engine to 846MHz i think its stable. I ran the tests on default in windowed mode the screen resolution was 1280x1024 (my monitors native is 1600x1050 tho)
here are the average fps for that test
Min 85
Avg 102
Max 139
Should i try to push for more or should i leave it at that? should i run the stability test on Furmark? it got to about 70c from windowed mode but i started when it was at about 42c or something in the 40's. Is it normal for the temp to take a few mins to get back to the idle temp, like for me it take a few mins (mabey like 2-5) or something like that to get the temp back to 38c
m
l
February 1, 2011 12:56:23 AM

dalauder said:
You're not going to exceed 1000MHz for the core (probably won't exceed 900MHz). And you don't want to go over whatever voltage listed in the link I posted I think it was 1.08 and some change. For stability, run Furmark--like I said in my above posts and a benchmark like PassMark or 3DMark. You can't be sure it's stable until you play games with the settings for a while. Stability is more qualitative than quantitative. When you're satisfied that it's stable--that's good enough.

My process is:
1) Set clocks
2) Run Benchmark
3) Record max temps during benchmark and benchmark results (Keep temps under manufacturer specs [or ~90'C, Furmark will get HOT]. See the overclock.net link I sent you)
4) Repeat

I repeat until I experience artifacting or crashing. I then reset settings and go for my max clock on Memory using the same steps. For final settings, I usually use settings a notch (~10MHz, but more a qualitative thing) below what caused artifacting or crashing.

Plz reply!! i also did not change any memory settings because i did not konw what to do with it. Also do you know of any programs i can use to monitor gpu temp while gaming? And id really like to say THANKS! you been a lot of help!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 1:23:02 AM

HWMonitor--just leave it minimized. If that doesn't work (it should), then GPU-Z. You can choose what settings for GPU-Z to display (current, min, or max temps). You're welcome. If it wasn't for these forums, I'd have to be getting work done while I'm at work.
m
l
February 1, 2011 1:47:48 AM

Lol! another question i think my psu is making my gpu hotter because it is right on top of the gpu and the air it blows is ridiculously hot!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 1:56:47 AM

PSU air is hotter than everything else--for the most part. So long as your heat is fine, your PSU is probably not gonna cause the GPU to overheat. Put your GPU in the top PCI-e slot, which is as far away from a bottom mounted PSU as you can get and, typically, your x16 PCI-e slot. Also, "it is right on top of the gpu"? It should be below the motherboard (below gpu in bottom mounted) or above it (above the CPU). That's a long ways from your GPU. A more efficient PSU operating in the middle (20-80% usage) of its specified wattage will generate the least heat.

An unrelated issue: A bad PSU is dangerous to your whole PC. If you got a good one, ignore this statement.
m
l
February 1, 2011 2:35:03 AM

dalauder said:
PSU air is hotter than everything else--for the most part. So long as your heat is fine, your PSU is probably not gonna cause the GPU to overheat. Put your GPU in the top PCI-e slot, which is as far away from a bottom mounted PSU as you can get and, typically, your x16 PCI-e slot. Also, "it is right on top of the gpu"? It should be below the motherboard (below gpu in bottom mounted) or above it (above the CPU). That's a long ways from your GPU. A more efficient PSU operating in the middle (20-80% usage) of its specified wattage will generate the least heat.

An unrelated issue: A bad PSU is dangerous to your whole PC. If you got a good one, ignore this statement.

My cpu is a coolermaster 700w etreme power plus, its directly above the gpu. like 4 inches away from it maybe. and its blowing air away from it. I took away one of the tabs in the back of my pc where you are supposed to put the pci card (the one slot is empty) hopefully it will redirect some of the heat. Again ive ran the stability test for at least 30 mins. does it ever end? i took a screen shot of it right before i closed the window if you wanna see. but i dont know how to paste it. Right now its running in the 30-40c range whe im not doing anything. and rached about 77c at the highest point durring the stability test, after taht it was constantly between 67-68c. Am i doing well?
Here are the specs of my gpu after overclocking, ill be back tmr with the benchmark tests!
Engine: 846MHz
Vcore: 1.037v
Memory: at the bottom it says [DDR] then its set to 3600Mhz. (i have ddr2 memory if that matters) I did not chage the memory settings, because i do not know anything about it. Should i have changes the memory settings?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2011 3:26:21 AM

I don't think the stability test ends. I just run the benchmark test on Furmark for 60 seconds (sometimes less) between bumping up my GPU clock. It sounds like you're doing well. 846 is a big improvement. Run a PCMark 3D test benchmark or 3DMark 06, 11, or Vantage benchmark at your max core speed (could be 846), max memory when you find it (w/stock core speed at 675), and then try both at once. Record those so you can see improvement.

As to the memory--I'd overclock that too. It shouldn't break unless you push it way too far (or too quickly) when it's already artifacting (I've had cards that go from 700 to 740 memory and 400 to 600 memory--it really varies how much overclocking headroom you can have). Adjusting the memory is almost exactly like core speed.

If Furmark levels off under 90'C, then your temps are doing well. All my cards run into the high 90's on Furmark--but it's 85'F ambient at my house. You might want to do a little research into temps GTX 460's are meant to reach.
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:16:10 PM

PROBLEM i oced my gpu restarted my computer and now its back at defaut settings...
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:22:23 PM

ptwick said:
PROBLEM i oced my gpu restarted my computer and now its back at defaut settings...

dalauder said:
I don't think the stability test ends. I just run the benchmark test on Furmark for 60 seconds (sometimes less) between bumping up my GPU clock. It sounds like you're doing well. 846 is a big improvement. Run a PCMark 3D test benchmark or 3DMark 06, 11, or Vantage benchmark at your max core speed (could be 846), max memory when you find it (w/stock core speed at 675), and then try both at once. Record those so you can see improvement.

As to the memory--I'd overclock that too. It shouldn't break unless you push it way too far (or too quickly) when it's already artifacting (I've had cards that go from 700 to 740 memory and 400 to 600 memory--it really varies how much overclocking headroom you can have). Adjusting the memory is almost exactly like core speed.

If Furmark levels off under 90'C, then your temps are doing well. All my cards run into the high 90's on Furmark--but it's 85'F ambient at my house. You might want to do a little research into temps GTX 460's are meant to reach.

OMG NO I RESTARTED MY COMPUTER AND MY OC WAS GONE! it went back to shitty default settings why!
ANother think do you know any other programs that i couls use to mionitor my temperature while gaming? (gpuz did not work to well) should i oc memory from smart doctor or do i need another program or the bois? i ahve no idea what ot do with it. :( 
everytime i turn of computer asus smart doctor resets my settings to default is that supposed to happen?
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:41:58 PM

i think i fixed the reset problem.
m
l
!