Catalyst 10.9 is out

There you go
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx
Post your results and experiences.
87 answers Last reply
More about catalyst
  1. Hmm I saw a news article on it last night so I went to download it, and the ATI site only gave me 10.8 lol. I'll give it a go tonight.
  2. Wonder if there any good? Read some improvements in the 5770 speed cool. Need better improvements in crysis and left for dead 1 though. And Amd needs to make a 1 driver install like Nvidia instead of having to download hdmi driver seperate.
  3. Well the 10.9's are no better than the 10.8's, did a fresh install and jumped into a quickie BC2 battle and noticed that the load times were much longer than when I had the 10.4's installed.. reverting back to 10.4.. This is just ridiculous..

    Google it, there are more than 30 threads full of complaints..

    I don't understand why AMD releases a crap driver every month instead of a great driver every other moth like NV, makes no sense at all :fou:
  4. You should be able to get 10.9 off steam.
  5. sabot00 said:
    You should be able to get 10.9 off steam.


    huh?
  6. Steam is partnering with AMD to deliver driver updates from 10.9 onwards.
  7. sabot00 said:
    Steam is partnering with AMD to deliver driver updates from 10.9 onwards.

    I'm guessing that you didn't see this thread that was started some 3 1/2 hours before your first post. :lol:
  8. OvrClkr said:
    Well the 10.9's are no better than the 10.8's, did a fresh install and jumped into a quickie BC2 battle and noticed that the load times were much longer than when I had the 10.4's installed.. reverting back to 10.4.. This is just ridiculous..

    Google it, there are more than 30 threads full of complaints..

    I don't understand why AMD releases a crap driver every month instead of a great driver every other moth like NV, makes no sense at all :fou:


    They must have decided to cater to the lowest denominator for performance for sake of stability/compatibility. The performance complaints are probably up, but maybe all other forums with system problems is down ?
  9. Yeah, AMD has been doing a $hitty job with their drivers for the past couple of releases. AMD needs to get to nVidia level in driver quality imo. I'm guessing this is why most people don't but ATI workstation cards....
  10. notty22 said:
    They must have decided to cater to the lowest denominator for performance for sake of stability/compatibility. The performance complaints are probably up, but maybe all other forums with system problems is down ?


    I just don't understand why they cannot patch an existing driver correctly, its not like they are starting from scratch. How can they screw up a driver that was already working fine?

    Sorry for the rant, but it's just a PITA to have such a wonderful GPU and not be able to get a decent driver. If NV can do it then AMD should be able to at least come close.
  11. Mousemonkey said:
    I'm guessing that you didn't see this thread that was started some 3 1/2 hours before your first post. :lol:


    What about it?
  12. sabot00 said:
    What about it?

    It just goes to prove that some people don't bother to read the first page of the forum but will quite happily make a post believing that they are the only or first person to discover something that has already been reported, that's what it (and you) are kind of proving.
  13. I don't think I'm the first, but in a thread about Catalyst 10.9 I find that information pretty relevant, and in case someone wanting to know more about Catalyst 10.9 stumbling on to this thread it might be helpful.
  14. I hope this driver is making a few things better
  15. I looked at the release notes and the only noted performance improvements are for Call of Pripyat and the Chronicles of Riddick.
    I was hoping for Bad Company 2, Source based games, or UE3.
  16. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    I hope this driver is making a few things better


    I hoped for the same but at least on my end it made things worse.

    At least I have one good driver to work with, if not id be pulling my hair out by now :D
  17. I find it amusing that people are discussing ATi driver issues but whenever I mention ATi driver issues I get told that ATi drivers no longer have any issues, which is it?
  18. sabot00 said:
    I looked at the release notes and the only noted performance improvements are for Call of Pripyat and the Chronicles of Riddick.
    I was hoping for Bad Company 2, Source based games, or UE3.


    I actually lost a few frames in CoP using the 10.9's, hopefully AMD can get it right by next month. The 6xxx series is not going to perform as expected if AMD keeps skimping on the drivers.
  19. Mousemonkey said:
    I find it amusing that people are discussing ATi driver issues but whenever I mention ATi driver issues I get told that ATi drivers no longer have any issues, which is it?


    Who are those people?

    In my case the 10.4's are as stable as can be, no complaints at all, but the problem lies in the fact we should at least get 1 good driver every 3 months. AMD is releasing these drivers too quickly, I bet they are not even testing them on multiple platforms just to make sure they are good to go. Releasing a driver every month does not achieve anything if more than 50% of the users are having issues that should have been resolved months ago.
  20. OvrClkr said:
    Who are those people?

    Oh there's been quite a few, TGGA was the last JDJ has never been onside with idea that the state of ATi drivers being a reason not to have one of their cards and I didn't even bother counting the amount of people who slagged me off earlier this year whenever I mentioned the GSOD issue or the Batman AA issue before that.
  21. I really lawl at people who diss on ATI drivers, maybe they just were unlucky, IDK. But with my 10.8 etc. etc. Every time I've updated, No problems with there drivers at all, maybe it's because I install them correctly? Who knows, BTW Driver Sweeper ftw.

    But the only thing about ATI drivers is they need to work on their crossfire drivers if any. If they get the perfection in that or their scaling to NV's level, I call win. Also I think the fail in there drivers has something to do with, ATI slowly (now not even called ATI) deteriorating in personnel. ALL in IMO
  22. latest 10.9 slowed my aliens vs predator down a bit so went back to 10.5 there decent older drivers.
  23. Currently using 10.8, AMD still struggle with their own drivers, that's a shame...
  24. I think Amd just gota concentrate on making good fast stable drivers. That are in 1 file to install
  25. 10.9 is a huge success for me. Kudos to AMD!

    AVP FPS went up by 25%

    Mafia 2 FPS increase 20%. (They fixed a issue)

    10% more frames on Metro 2033

    FPS up by 25 frames in BC2 when Direct X11 is enabled. (I usually disabled it because I get more frames in DX9, but now I get more frames in DX11 then Dx9!)
  26. ^
    congrats...

    Well, not all system are work beautifully with 10.9, sometimes we just try each driver until we found the most suitable for us...
  27. YAY Praise the....uhmmm people at ATI ! Proper 2D idle clocks! (157/300 and not 400/OC mem) Only took 5 months to fix!

    I'll be comparing performance of the 10.9's against the 10.4's in various benchmarks and report back with the results.

    Oh and installation went fine, no driver sweeper, no uninstall, just downloaded, ran it straight over 10.4, reboot and jobs a good'en.
    Overscan worked perfectly, all I had to do was right click desktop and open CCC and it automaticly overscanned : )
  28. Does this mean it is no longer possible to download drivers unless you have a steam account?
  29. kewl
  30. sabot00 said:
    I looked at the release notes and the only noted performance improvements are for Call of Pripyat and the Chronicles of Riddick.
    I was hoping for Bad Company 2, Source based games, or UE3.

    Damn due, optimizing for BC2 makes sense, but really? Source??? Can't you already play CSS/HL,etc at like 100fps?!?!?
  31. AMD Releases ATI Catalyst 10.9a Hotfix for Radeon HD 4800 X2 Series Graphics Cards
    Less than a day after releasing the ATI Catalyst 10.9 WHQL driver suite, AMD rolled out the Catalyst 10.9a Hotfix driver for users of the ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 and Radeon HD 4850 X2 graphics accelerators. Applicable for Windows Vista and Windows 7, Catalyst 10.9b Hotfix improves performance of the said graphics cards, eliminating a bug that lets the OS make use of only one of the two GPUs.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/131114/AMD-Releases-ATI-Catalyst-10.9a-Hotfix-for-Radeon-HD-4800-X2-Series-Graphics-Cards.html
  32. Shadow703793 said:
    Damn due, optimizing for BC2 makes sense, but really? Source??? Can't you already play CSS/HL,etc at like 100fps?!?!?

    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

    The CS:S bench gives me 233.....and thats at 600/450 clocks. At default 750/900, I get......233.3. It's CPU limited!
  33. Unfortunately, no time to test 10.9 out as I'm setting up my SSD but I did install it without issue... I should be gaming before the weekend tho so hopefully I'll have some feedback.

    omgitzfatal, looking forward to seeing the benchs :D
  34. Mousemonkey said:
    Oh there's been quite a few, TGGA was the last JDJ has never been onside with idea that the state of ATi drivers being a reason not to have one of their cards and I didn't even bother counting the amount of people who slagged me off earlier this year whenever I mentioned the GSOD issue or the Batman AA issue before that.


    Yea, I guess there are a few out there that really don't care if a new driver is faulty or not since they can always revert to the previous driver and problem solved, basically what I do every time a new one is released. I guess I got used having good drivers for the most part since I have mostly been using NV cards in the past 15 years. The thing that bothers me is the fact that the 5xxx series is capable of so much more with better/stable/optimized drivers :(
  35. Ok so got a few results for you guys.

    All results done with a HD5850 @ 1000 Core 1200 mem

    BFBC2 maxed (except only 1xAA) 1920 x 1080 - 1 minute of Heart Of darkness Level - recorded FPS with FRAPS

    10.4 results: MinFPS = 63 AvgFPS = 76.883 MaxFPS = 136

    10.9 results: MinFPS = 37(WTF?) AvgFPS = 86.402 MaxFPS = 136

    Heaven Benchmark 2.1 1920 x 1080, Tesselation = normal, Shaders = High, Anisotropy = 4, AA = None Full Screen.

    10.4 results: MinFPS = 17.5 AvgFPS = 39.7 MaxFPS = 104.6

    10.9 results: MinFPS = 15.9 AvgFPS = 38.6 MaxFPS = 103.3

    STALKER CoP Benchmark Maxed out 1920X1080 NOAA DX11 HBAO Enabled SSAO Quality: High Tesselation = Enabled

    10.4 results:

    Day: Min: 49.3FPS Avg: 195.6FPS Max: 317.7FPS
    Night: Min: 43.5FPS Avg: 223.3FPS Max: 412.4FPS
    Rain: Min: 49.1FPS Avg: 255.6FPS Max: 423.5FPS
    Sun Shafts: Min: 40.5FPS Avg: 130 Max: 227.7FPS

    10.9 results

    Day: Min: 51.4FPS Avg: 202.1FPS Max: 314.8FPS
    Night: Min: 46.2FPS Avg: 227.5FPS Max: 411.6FPS
    Rain: Min: 52.4FPS Avg: 254.3FPS Max: 425.9FPS
    Sun Shafts: Min: 66.3FPS Avg: 131.1 Max: 234.7FPS

    So abit of a mixed bag so far, BFBC2's min FPS taking a huge hit, but the average FPS went up by 10FPS.... Weird.
    Heaven results were dissapointing, seeing a loss across the board.

    Stalker's results were better, good to see the minimum FPS getting a healthy boost.

    More to come shortly.
  36. OvrClkr said:
    Yea, I guess there are a few out there that really don't care if a new driver is faulty or not since they can always revert to the previous driver and problem solved, basically what I do every time a new one is released. I guess I got used having good drivers for the most part since I have mostly been using NV cards in the past 15 years. The thing that bothers me is the fact that the 5xxx series is capable of so much more with better/stable/optimized drivers :(

    What gets me is that for something that is issued every month and has been for the last few years they don't appear to be solid, reliable and improved each time. If the wages department at your place of work got your money wrong each month I'm sure that you'd want to know why people who are doing the same thing each month can't seem to get it right.
  37. Lol I'm not trying to do anything underhanded, I'm surprised at the results too.

  38. broken link :/
  39. Dunno why that isn't working

    http://img199.imageshack.us/f/stalkerdx11ultratessela.png/

    The screenshot is alittle old but still with my 5850.
  40. Link works for me.
    Maybe its your ATI drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  41. lol, I'm not, just one HD5850 @ 1000Mhz Core 1200Mhz Mem.

    If a HD5870 can only get 80FPS then I would need 3 x HD5850's to get 200+ FPS, Maybe there's something wrong with the benchmark.
  42. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    Link works for me.
    Maybe its your ATI drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    lol :lol: :sol:
  43. darkknightdude said:
    10.9 is a huge success for me. Kudos to AMD!

    AVP FPS went up by 25%

    Mafia 2 FPS increase 20%. (They fixed a issue)

    10% more frames on Metro 2033

    FPS up by 25 frames in BC2 when Direct X11 is enabled. (I usually disabled it because I get more frames in DX9, but now I get more frames in DX11 then Dx9!)


    You must be the luckiest guy on earth, especially when there were no improvements whatsoever for those games you listed above.

    In my last 15 years of playing FPS games I have never seen a driver give the user an extra 25 frame boost, man you got lucky!! :lol:
  44. Rustyy117 said:
    lol, I'm not, just one HD5850 @ 1000Mhz Core 1200Mhz Mem.

    If a HD5870 can only get 80FPS then I would need 3 x HD5850's to get 200+ FPS, Maybe there's something wrong with the benchmark.

    The Stalker benchmark can be a tad odd sometimes, I recall Jennyh getting strange results with CF 5770's a while back.
  45. Mousemonkey said:
    The Stalker benchmark can be a tad odd sometimes, I recall Jennyh getting strange results with CF 5770's a while back.


    Yeah I'll just take it as the benchmark being buggy, People can still see the difference between my 10.4 results and 10.9 results. ;)
  46. I never leave anything at stock cuz I r harcor3! (Jokes) but seriously I don't know, but I can find out for you tomorrow, I have FC2, HawX (demo) and RE5, along with others like Dirt 2

    I won't be doing anymore comparisons today, have to wait until tomorrow I'm afraid.
  47. trial and error...installing and uninstalling are getting pretty tiresome.

    They should just release it when they know for sure they have an improved driver...instead of rushing it out to meet monthly release.
  48. Quote:
    Ok then tomorrow plz run dirt2,re5(variable benchmark).At stock setting of 5850 and ur cpu.


    I'm not resetting my rig back to stock man, this is just a driver comparison, I'm happy to put my HD5850 at stock for BFBC2, and I'll run the benchmarks you asked for, but I only have 10.4 results for dirt 2 and re5 at 1000/1200 and CPU @ 4Ghz.
  49. Yes I have them installed, and I already have the 10.4 results for those games (noted them down awhile ago)

    What I'm not prepared to do is revert back to 10.4 and put everything to stock, run the benchmarks again, then reinstall 10.9, re-run the benchmarks then set my OC's back.... Its just alot easier if I compare the drivers with my card and CPU/RAM at there normal speeds.

    This isn't a Overclock Vs Stock Vs 10.4 Vs 10.9...thing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Catalyst Graphics