Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to tell when a CPU is bad

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Thermal Compound
Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 30, 2011 11:44:39 PM

My third build...but still a rookie! I used rubbing alcohol to remove thermal paste from the CPU prior to a HSF re-install, but some of the alcohol got on the transitor side of the CPU. The machine never did post... everything remains dead... everything... even after 3 power supply changes and a new mobo.

Any chance that CPU is toast?

More about : cpu bad

a c 915 à CPUs
January 30, 2011 11:51:59 PM

Good change since you have ruled out the PSU and Motherboard.
m
0
l
January 31, 2011 12:22:57 AM

rolli59 said:
Good change since you have ruled out the PSU and Motherboard.



Thanks. Nice ride, by the way. I should never have sold my '69 camaro. Can you send link to a larger pic? Bruce
m
0
l
Related resources
January 31, 2011 1:16:43 AM

bbartlow said:
My third build...but still a rookie! I used rubbing alcohol to remove thermal paste from the CPU prior to a HSF re-install, but some of the alcohol got on the transitor side of the CPU. The machine never did post... everything remains dead... everything... even after 3 power supply changes and a new mobo.

Any chance that CPU is toast?


email address removed to avoid spam
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2011 1:43:33 AM

Rubbing alcohol generally won't kill a CPU. The moisture that remains behind after it evaporates can sometimes cause problems though. Did it dry out thoroughly before use, or did you reinstall and power it on while wet?
m
0
l
January 31, 2011 1:54:20 AM

mavroxur said:
Rubbing alcohol generally won't kill a CPU. The moisture that remains behind after it evaporates can sometimes cause problems though. Did it dry out thoroughly before use, or did you reinstall and power it on while wet?



Yep... dried it out, although I noticed stains as if water damaged. (Not on the heat sink side) Is there a way to test the CPU in isolation... or will Intel do it?

Thanks for help!

Bruce
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2011 2:08:58 AM

Intel won't test it. The only way to test it is to install it in a known-working system. What type of processor is it?
m
0
l
January 31, 2011 2:12:57 AM

It's an i3.... (a steal at 75.00) I have another system with the 1156 socket. I can swap it out with that one..... as long as there is no risk in damaging that system. That is what worries me.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2011 2:34:52 AM

It's not likely that it will kill a board. If the CPU is dead, it normally just fails to POST. Anything is possible though.
m
0
l
!