Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 detects HDTV only if it's turned on during startup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 15, 2010 9:25:18 PM

I'm dual booting Windows XP and Windows 7 and I've got an onboard ATI Radeon HD 4200. My HDTV works on either OS if it's already turned on when I boot. If I boot Windows XP with my HDTV turned off and I decide I want to use it, I go into the Display settings and XP will detect the newly-turned on TV. However, if I boot Windows 7 with the TV turned off and I then want to turn it on and use it, Windows 7 will not detect it when I press the "Detect" button. Same goes for the "Force Detect" button in Catalyst. I've got to reboot with the TV on to make it work.

It's not a hardware issue, and the fact that it works on the older OS and not the newer one makes me suspect the driver I'm using for Windows 7. The problem is, ATI's website doesn't have a driver for the HD 4200. I tried letting Windows 7 decide using the "update driver" function, and I tried manually installing the driver for the HD 4300, since that's the next higher one. Should I be rolling back to an older driver or one that's more generic? Does the fact that the graphics card is integrated mean I should be using some other driver?

Much appreciate any help on this.
September 15, 2010 11:32:03 PM

In Catalyst there's a 'Display Options' tab. You could set it to auto detect or the other option if it's on manual. Might not help, just an idea.
September 17, 2010 3:36:07 PM

I tried that and some more stuff last night:
I installed the integrated HD 4200 driver found here, once with the whole software suite and once with just the driver itself.
I tried an older version (9.6) of Catalyst from guru3d.com.
I looked on the motherboard manufacturer's website, but they didn't have anything relating to the integrated graphics card.
I looked on Windows Compatibility Center and they didn't even have the HD4200 listed. I'm not too concerned about compatibility, as the whole motherboard is compatible and Windows 7 can see the TV if it's there on bootup.
Related resources
September 19, 2010 3:13:02 AM

You may consider the question "is turning the TV on before boot-up really THAT big of deal?" I also run an HDTV off my 4850 (Component), but I (thankfully) haven't experienced this. I know turning the TV on before boot-up would seem like a hassle, but you could get used to it.

However, you have not sad whether this is a component of HDMI hook-up. How are you connecting to your TV?

Also, be VERY careful about downloading multiple drivers. Mixing same-purpose drivers can be fatal. If you start having more problems or notice any performance decreases or glitches, I highly recommend using the "system restore" option for Windows 7. It is quick and will revert key changes like drivers without effecting documents, saved games, ect..
September 21, 2010 5:10:05 PM

You're right, it's not that big of a deal. I guess the reason it bothers me is because XP does it just fine, which led me to believe that the answer would be simple. Plus I'm an electrical engineer, so inefficiency drives me crazy.

I'm connected to the TV via HDMI. Windows 7 considers my DVI monitor to be a generic PNP monitor, and the TV to be a generic non-PNP monitor. I don't know much about HDMI, but I understand the monitor uses EDID to tell the graphics card what it is. How does the OS tell the graphics card to tell the monitor to send that data?

How about this: if I got an adapter and plugged it into my second DVI port, would I lose any video quality? I don't care about HD audio, since I run my audio through SPDIF to a receiver and leave the TV volume off anyways.
a b $ Windows 7
September 21, 2010 5:24:19 PM

I had the same problem with Vista and a 4000 series ATI card.
Windows 7 and a ATI 5970 detects it. You'll get used to it.
!