What is required for TV Tuner

jpboyrox

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I was considering getting this TV Tuner card: http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-compro-videomate-s350-dvb-s-pci-card-6L3F.html
I have never used one and so don't know what I would need. I can install it and all okay, but will I need an aerial or satellite? and how can I find out what channels I would pick up? Is this a good one to get and what are the advantages of more expensive ones?
Relevant PC setup:
Video Card ---------HIS ATI Radeon HD 4850 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express
Processor ----------Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM ---------------4GB Corsair Memory 4GBKIT (2X2GB) 800MHZ
Monitor -------------20” 1680 x 1050

I think you'll need to have a satellite dish for that one, if you want terrestrial DVB-T with the ability to run a SKY box as well for instance then you will need something else. I use a Compro VideoMate E800 Series card which is OK but the drivers could do with a bit of work.

pcgsoccer

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I have the exact hardware you do except I have a 19 inch monitor! I have the AMD theatre pro 650. I run W7 64 bit. Unfortunately AMD still doesn't have software for recording tv shows on W7 64 bit for some strange reason. Anyway it's a good tuner card. Windows media center can handle recording software. You need to download the current drivers for your OS. Don't use the included disc. I run a splitter from my cable company into it. I also have an aerial for over the air digital which is an amazing quality source if you have the reception. The over the air is in 4:3 aspect ratio so I have stuck with my 19" 4:3 monitor.