cupcake_01

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hello,

I am going to be buying a new computer soon and I need help deciding between which of the following processors is better...

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5800 or AMD Athlon II X3 435

(Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E5800 - 3.10GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB cache
AMD Athlon™ II X3 435 - 2.9GHz,1.5MB)

The computer will have 4GB RAM regardless, and normal tasks that I will be using it for is Internet Explorer, Photoshop, iTunes, Microsoft Word, etc...

Which would be best to choose?

Thanks

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
The AM3 chipset will have a cheaper and possibly further (bulldozer) upgrade headroom. They don't produce the C2Qs anymore so a new one will be expensive.

You could go for an AMD dual core (Athlon II X2) if the tasks are non cpu-intensive. Those CPUs are more than enough for media/internet usage, assuming these aren't your only choices.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
The choice here is obvious, go for AMD. Better in multitasking (by far), better in gaming, newer processor/technology and genuinely better in all that matters.

The AMD processor you listed, sports 3 cores as opposed to the outdated singel-core processor from Intel.

Seli

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
I've been looking something around this pricerange too, so based on a heckload of surfing....

If you need atleast something roughly as fast as the two above, I think the Dual Pentium would be the worst option of any possible. They are just way too overpriced.

Maybe a used Core2Duo or AMD X3/X4?

If you really want something with warranty, then a cheap MB with support for Core2quod and a 2.6-3.4 GHz Core2Duo CPU. (With the idea that you can in few years try to find a used quod to nearly double the CPU power)
OR
AM3 board with maybe fast X2, X3 or medium speed X4 CPU.

I haven't looked at the prices of new Socket 775 MBs but I guess the AM3 would be better choise overall.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Sorry for the typo, I was looking on a site who apparently have got it wrong as well. The Core 2 Duo is simply a better architecture than the dual-core. It's like version 2 of the original dual-core that sports 2 prescott cpus.

cupcake_01

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Ahh thankyou for all the responses, after reading around similar topics I did have a gut feeling the AMD
would be a better processor overall but wasn't too sure about the Intel one.

Its a Dell computer that I am purchasing so I can't actually customise it with another processor I didn't mention but the AMD seems like more than enough processing power with 3 cores.
I also did read that it would be better for future applications which will use more cores as time goes on.

Thankyou again for all your responses.
:)

Seli

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
I think the main difference between Core2Duo and PentiumDualCore is the cache size. Not a lot of folks have bought them, they're sort of Celeron versions of the C2D.

G33K707

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
AMD is better (and cheaper) in lower end processors, so yes I vote for the X3 or you can save a little more to buy an Athlon II X4 for an instant Quad OR take your chances and buy a Phenom II X2 (555 BE preferred) AND GET A CHANCE TO GET A PHENOM II X4 FOR ONLY $90 (Phenom II X4's are $150 and above). (PROVIDED A CORE UNLOCKING MOBO)

Or if you don't want risking your money and those are your only choices then the X3 is way better.

Hope this helps

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Well, I don't know if it's just me but I would recommend you, just like I encourage friends and family to build their own pc's OR buy the parts and let someone else assemble it for you. Pre-built pc's are genuinely more expensive than the sum total of its components. Avoid brand computers if you're buying desktop unless you go with a custom prebuild from newegg or the like...

G33K707

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Wait...Will you keep this CPU for like 2-3 years?

If so then you still have a chance to change your mind.
How much is the rig your going to buy?
It would be better if you built your own rig and go for an X4.
Apps and games today are starting to exploit 4 cores and more.

But then again...you could just buy the rig now and then just buy an X4 later when you need it...

cupcake_01

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
I did consider building my own computer, however I wouldn't be confident building it myself and I don't know anyone locally who could do it for me.

However, the computer I am buying has all the features I need - I've looked into each and I won't be using the computer for complicated games. If I desperately needed to upgrade the processor, I would do in future but from what I've read, I'm sure the processor will last me quite a few years for the tasks I'll be using the computer for.

TheTech214

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Go with the Intel. They last longer require less power and has a higher clock speed. More cache too. I also highly recommend installing fire fox for a web browser.