Sign in with
Your question

Black screen after new video card install

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 15, 2010 9:40:05 PM

I bought an evga gtx 460 and replaced my bfg 8800 gt ocx. After I installed the 460 i tried to boot but i get nothing but a black screen... The computer boots all the way into windows but I can see nothing. I checked all the connections and they were good. I have a 650w psu which is more than the card requires. I installed the 460 into my gf's pc thinking maybe it was the card and it works fine. I throw the 8800 gt back in mine and it works perfectly. I flashed the bios to the latest and that made no difference. I formatted and put a fresh install of win7. I am at a loss I don't know what it could be other than maybe the motherboard but my old card still works. Is it possible that my motherboard could just not physically support newer video cards? I have scoured these forums and have come up with nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Asus M3A78
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad core
4 gigs G skill 1066 ddr2 ram
Seagate 7200 80gig x2 raid0
Corsair TX650 psu
Win 7 64 bit

More about : black screen video card install

September 15, 2010 10:06:49 PM

Since posting this I have found posts on the internet about people with the same motherboard having the same problem I am but no solutions.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2010 4:12:00 AM

Is it possible you have a bad 6-pin power cable going to the 460? IIRC, your psu isn't modular, so you can't have the psu-end plugged into the wrong port (Yes, it has happened here, within the last 3 days lol).

If you have no way of checking that (multimeter to start, another psu, a different cable, a molex to 6-pin adapter), it is possible to to use a cable you know works from your GF's psu, if you cozy them up together (touching so they share a common ground).

You have a working mobo slot, a working vid card . . . power and drivers are all that's left. And a driver issue would give you at least a BIOS screen.

m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2010 9:57:39 AM

I don't think the 6 pins are bad because I have used both of them to power my 8800 gt and this is a brand new power supply but I'll try using some 4 to 6 pin adapters and see if that will work. I have also tried a gtx 260 and a 9800 gx2 and they both do the same thing... Black screen but the computer boots.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2010 10:20:56 AM

Can you try the card on a different computer?
m
l
September 16, 2010 3:55:13 PM

I have tried them all on my gf's pc and they all work. Only think I can think is that my pci-e is screwed up in away that only lets it draw so much power and thats not enough for the newer cards or I have a short somewhere. So I am going to do a bench build and see if I can get it to work that way.
m
l
!