Problems overclocking 5830

CKLayoka

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
*Update*
Currently, I can't even run my computer for more than an hour without a shutoff. I've completely undone the overclock and done a System Restore back to just after I got the card. The fan noise isn't a problem anymore--I just want to be able to use my computer. Any ideas what is causing this?

**Original Post**

I just got a Radeon HIS 5830 card. I'm running 6016x1200 eyefinity on it, and I love the card.

There are a few problems I'm having with software and overclocking.

First, when the computer boots up, the fan fluctuates between normal and slightly higher than %50 speed at about a 1 second interval. It produces a WEOooWEOoooWEOoooWEOoo noise that is just awful. I can fix this in Catalyst by manually setting the fan to %50, where I can't even hear it (which is great). But I don't want to have to redo this every single time I boot up my computer. That's ridiculous! Any ideas for other solutions?

Secondly, I've been a little dissatisfied with my fps and graphics quality on my large resolution. I found that by using the Catalyst ATI Overdrive software, I could OC it (to the maximum allowed) and get awesome results. I turned my clock from 800 to 875, and it passes all the stability tests and the temps never go above 60. No artifact, and my games worked great. However, my computer would, after about an hour, turn itself off without so much as a warning: first the displays, then the rest of the computer (takes about 2 seconds). Windows never claims a hard power off and asks for safe mode like it usually would. It's super frustrating! I even saw this happen and was watching the temps when it did-- 57 degrees, which I've seen it go above with no problem. Some games are almost unplayable at stock clock, but with the OC it's the best gaming experience ever! Any ideas for why the computer is turning itself off and how to fix this?

Next, I tried ATI Tool to OC instead, as a possible solution. I couldn't get it to install because "Windows will not accept unsigned drivers." I disabled driver signing in gpedit.msc but still no luck. Is this program worth using? How can I get it to even install?

Other than these couple problems, I'm really pumped about the card (when it's OC'ed) and I love Eyefinity. Any help on these couple problems would be great, thanks.

mrmez

Splendid
1.) Does that one second fluctuation bug you SO much? Think of it as a safety. When you hear that you know your gpu fan is still good. When you don't, you know its dead and not to use your pc or you could damage something.

2.)Sounds like a temp issue, tho the numbers suggest otherwise. Try running the fan @ 100% and see if it last longer. Also, more Mhz require more volts (duh). Maybe needs an extra 0.025v or so.

I've largely given up on winblows, but as i recall, Riva Tune/r or something was also good... maybe it was for Nv cards, i can't remember.

CKLayoka

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Yeah Rivatune is only for Nv cards. I put the fan on auto, which seamed to solve both problems. I played for about 3 hours last night with no problem. Then today, had a shutoff after about 30 mins (the first that occurred while actually gaming).

I'd love to increase the gpu voltage, but how is that done? BIOS? Overdrive doesn't provide that ability. If its bios, it will probably ask me to key in the voltage directly. In that case, how do I find out what my current voltage is (to add .025 to)?

Rivatuner is for both brands but sadly out of date, been using it for a few years and sadly no updates. As for the awful noise manually set the fan to any setting that you would like and maybe it will keep the setting. My old but trusty x1900xt was always a loud card while my 3870 I can't stand the fan doing the same as your card. So I would set the fan to 60% and leave it as that. I can take white noise but not this.