mminkster

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
i am running 6 gigs of dominator gt ram at 1600 speed on win 7 64 bit ultima when i go to control it says 3.9 usable. if go and put 6 more gigs in system[3 more dims] will this bottleneck me in any way, i was told that 12 gigs for gaming could bottleneck. my cpu is an i7-975 overclocked to 4.6 and i am running 3 580s in sli,an evga classified 3 motherboard

Solution
I really doubt it would cause a bottle neck. BUT it may make the overclock slightly more difficult to maintain, might/ might not Do you realy need the extra ram ? Are you doing anything but gaming on this machine. Video editing or something ram intensive ? If not just forget it. Or sell what you have and look at a new set.
When filling all slots on an overclocked box it's more difficult for the memory controller to sync all those modules.....that usually means dropping ya CAS timings or RAM speed down a notch below rated speeds. So you *may* have to go to 1333 or drop CAS timings a bit w/ all slots filled in order to maintain same OC.

I really doubt it would cause a bottle neck. BUT it may make the overclock slightly more difficult to maintain, might/ might not Do you realy need the extra ram ? Are you doing anything but gaming on this machine. Video editing or something ram intensive ? If not just forget it. Or sell what you have and look at a new set.

Solution