Should I upgrade my CPU?

HiepNotik

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
I have been thinking for about a week now if I should upgrade my CPU, I'm thinking it might be bottlenecking my GPU, which is Sapphire Radeon 6870. I currently have AMD Athalon X2 255 Dual Core 3.1ghz, is that a slow processor? should I upgrade to a Phenom x4 Quad core 955? thanks I hope I can get a response tonight so I can place my order and get it in this week. Oh and if there is a AM# motherboard you recommend, let me know also, I wanna do a total make over for my PC, if I do end up buying a new CPU. thanks.

System Specs:

AMD Athalon X2 255 Dual Core 3.1ghz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6870
Ram: Corsair XMS3 6GB
PSU: OCZ ModXStreme 600W
MB: Generic HP Brand.

HiepNotik

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
So either I go with Intel, which I know is a very good CPU, but at the same time cost more, or wait for bulldozer.

Would it still be a good upgrade if I only upgraded the Motherboard, and buy a Case, and use the original AMD Athalon X2 255? Use those in while I wait for bulldozer? And I prefer using AMD, because they are cheaper then Intel. I have nothing against Intel, I just feel like I'm paying more for a few FPS that doesn't really matter to me. Heres what I have in mind as to Motherboard and case let me know what you guys think.

ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198

ASRock 880G EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 880G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157191

is it worth the extra money for the 880g? The only main difference is the one step up on the north bringe, HDMI, and onboard GPU. The HDMI, and onboard GPU, I raelly dont need since I have my Sapphire HD 6870.

as for the case im still deciding.

I recommend you wait on another board purchase. Some of the current boards may run the first generation bulldozer; some not. Why take the chance that some manufacturers won't upgrade the bios for bulldozer. Might as well wait until April to be sure your board works with bulldozer.