Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade my CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
January 31, 2011 3:25:45 AM

I have been thinking for about a week now if I should upgrade my CPU, I'm thinking it might be bottlenecking my GPU, which is Sapphire Radeon 6870. I currently have AMD Athalon X2 255 Dual Core 3.1ghz, is that a slow processor? should I upgrade to a Phenom x4 Quad core 955? thanks I hope I can get a response tonight so I can place my order and get it in this week. Oh and if there is a AM# motherboard you recommend, let me know also, I wanna do a total make over for my PC, if I do end up buying a new CPU. thanks.

System Specs:

AMD Athalon X2 255 Dual Core 3.1ghz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6870
Ram: Corsair XMS3 6GB
PSU: OCZ ModXStreme 600W
MB: Generic HP Brand.

More about : upgrade cpu

a c 159 à CPUs
January 31, 2011 11:58:21 AM

I would say no. Most games don't use four cores. If you just want to spend more money, wait for bulldozer which may be released in April.
m
l
a c 161 à CPUs
January 31, 2011 12:02:39 PM

^+1 Or upgrade to SB.

If you want more performance, use overclock.
m
l
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
January 31, 2011 12:17:53 PM

If you live in the usa, and ever sell your hp board, let me know. I might buy it if it uses ddr3 and has 4 ram slots.
m
l
February 7, 2011 5:41:42 AM

So either I go with Intel, which I know is a very good CPU, but at the same time cost more, or wait for bulldozer.

Would it still be a good upgrade if I only upgraded the Motherboard, and buy a Case, and use the original AMD Athalon X2 255? Use those in while I wait for bulldozer? And I prefer using AMD, because they are cheaper then Intel. I have nothing against Intel, I just feel like I'm paying more for a few FPS that doesn't really matter to me. Heres what I have in mind as to Motherboard and case let me know what you guys think.

ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock 880G EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 880G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

is it worth the extra money for the 880g? The only main difference is the one step up on the north bringe, HDMI, and onboard GPU. The HDMI, and onboard GPU, I raelly dont need since I have my Sapphire HD 6870.

as for the case im still deciding.

m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
February 7, 2011 1:17:08 PM

I recommend you wait on another board purchase. Some of the current boards may run the first generation bulldozer; some not. Why take the chance that some manufacturers won't upgrade the bios for bulldozer. Might as well wait until April to be sure your board works with bulldozer.
m
l
!