Sign in with
Your question

Help with buying more ram

Last response: in Memory
October 2, 2011 8:08:09 PM

i currently have core i3-540 on p7p55d pro mobo, ati 5750 gpu and 2 gig 1333 mhz ram.

im thinking about buying more ram i have a choice of either getting a 2 gig dimm or 4 gig dimm. which would go best for my set up i heard that running asymmetric is worse than running dual channel but would it even matter on my system? i would like to have 6 gigs of ram but would it run slower than if i had the 2x2 dual channel or is 2x4 asymmetric fine?

More about : buying ram

a b } Memory
October 2, 2011 8:14:55 PM

match what you got or get a new pair
m
l
October 2, 2011 8:17:00 PM

well it doesnt matter what size the the memory is (example: 2gb, or 4gb dimms) as long as they are the same speed and voltage then they should run fine.
m
l
Related resources
October 3, 2011 12:15:10 AM

ah ok its the same model of ram just different sizes (2gig and 4gig) was wondering if mixing different sizes would slow it down have a 2gig dimm with a 4gig dimm in dual channel
m
l
a b } Memory
October 3, 2011 3:31:48 AM

computernugget said:
well it doesnt matter what size the the memory is (example: 2gb, or 4gb dimms) as long as they are the same speed and voltage then they should run fine.

They also need to be the same size.

Two RAM modules, one 2 GB and one 4 GB, would be a little slower than two identical modules and would not run in dual channel mode. On the other hand, most people would never notice the speed difference.

On the third hand :) , your system would be faster with 6 GB of mismatched RAM than with just 2 GB.

Otherwise, Jack Naylor gave you the best advice.
m
l
October 4, 2011 2:51:03 AM

always trying to work agaisnt someone. i hate you jsc. lol
m
l
October 4, 2011 4:41:29 AM

lol thx guys found every reply helpful
m
l
!