Help with buying more ram

i currently have core i3-540 on p7p55d pro mobo, ati 5750 gpu and 2 gig 1333 mhz ram.

im thinking about buying more ram i have a choice of either getting a 2 gig dimm or 4 gig dimm. which would go best for my set up i heard that running asymmetric is worse than running dual channel but would it even matter on my system? i would like to have 6 gigs of ram but would it run slower than if i had the 2x2 dual channel or is 2x4 asymmetric fine?
7 answers Last reply
More about help buying
  1. match what you got or get a new pair
  2. well it doesnt matter what size the the memory is (example: 2gb, or 4gb dimms) as long as they are the same speed and voltage then they should run fine.
  3. ah ok its the same model of ram just different sizes (2gig and 4gig) was wondering if mixing different sizes would slow it down have a 2gig dimm with a 4gig dimm in dual channel
  4. no it wouldnt
  5. computernugget said:
    well it doesnt matter what size the the memory is (example: 2gb, or 4gb dimms) as long as they are the same speed and voltage then they should run fine.

They also need to be the same size.

Two RAM modules, one 2 GB and one 4 GB, would be a little slower than two identical modules and would not run in dual channel mode. On the other hand, most people would never notice the speed difference.

On the third hand :), your system would be faster with 6 GB of mismatched RAM than with just 2 GB.

Otherwise, Jack Naylor gave you the best advice.
  6. always trying to work agaisnt someone. i hate you jsc. lol
  7. lol thx guys found every reply helpful
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Dual Channel DIMM