Back-up question on system images?

deerslugoh

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I have installed a Samsung 840 250g SSD as my primary drive on my desktop. I was wondering if I could install another HDD 1 "terabyte" to my system and partition it into 2 partitions. One would be 250 gigs and the other 750 gigs. My plan is to put a disk image of the ssd that I use as the primary disk on the 250 partition as a back-up of my ssd. this would make it easy to restore my primary disk if it became corrupted or damaged. the other 750 gig partition I could use to store photos, and other junk documents on. I figured in the future I could by an external HHD for other back ups. My problem is that my wife will let the grand kids get on the internet on this computer. unfortunately, when these heathens get to using my machine all kinds of crap happens. so when they use it viruses, changed configuration, and adware and all type of issues pop-up. some times my spyware and antivirus programs fix it. but a couple of time I have to do a complete reinstall of everything stating with the OS and all the other programs. I figured that a whole disk image reinstall would save a lot of time and hassles and put things right. Any advice on how to approach this issue would be appreciated.

Pete the deerslug

Why wouldn't you simply perform a full backup of the SSD to a folder on the HD? I backup all my systems so that they can be restored from the image.

Have you considered creating another account for the grand kids that doesn't have full admin rights?

Latest posts