Sign in with
Your question

Noobie building first system

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2010 7:36:08 PM

Ok I am thinking about building a new system for my wife for christmas. But I have no experience building computers and thought that this would be a good time to learn.

Primary Uses: Internet, streaming, gaming, video editing, multitasking

Preferred Site For Parts: None

I know that I am missing some items but not sure what else is needed or which one to buy. I have put together a list for two different computers trying to decide which is best for the price. The cost between these two computer is alot and money is always a issue as I am not a bank.

Are these components compatiable?
Are there other components cheaper for the same quality?
Which computer is better for the price?

First computer

CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full-Tower Case
Intel BX80613i7980X Core i7 980X Extreme Edition Processor
EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI Motherboard
XFX HD585XZAFC Radeon HD 5850 Video Card ( 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFirex Ready, Dual DVI, Display Port, HDMI )
G. SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL ( x 2)
Not sure what power supply
windows 7

Second computer

CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full-Tower Case
AMD Phenom II X4 905e Quad Core Processor HD905EOCGIBOX
Asus M4A78T-E Motherboard
XFX HD585XZAFC Radeon HD 5850 Video Card ( 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFirex Ready, Dual DVI, Display Port, HDMI )
G. SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL ( x 2)
Not sure what power supply
windows 7

Thanks for the help

Larry

More about : noobie building system

November 5, 2010 7:50:02 PM

You're asking what is best for price between the two or want suggestions? You also skipped a few(just about all) questions in the how to ask for build advice. A budget would help give us a place to start.

You say cost is an issue yet you list a $2000 computer that will be obsolete a month after you get it, and a sub-par $800 computer. Obviously the best bang for your buck will be the $800 computer with other parts than what you listed.

From intuition alone I recommend you going with something in the middle and at the same time being conservative.

CPU: i5-750
MOBO: Asus P7P55D-E PRO
RAM: G.Skill/Mushkin/Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600
GPU: HD 6870
HDD: Spinpoint F3 1TB
DVD: Generic DVD Burner
PSU: Corsair 650W TX Series
HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
CASE: What you listed

This build should be around $1000 give or take depending on deals. Add Win7 for $100 more.

Overclocking?: Recommended
SLI/CF?: Up to you, the board provides for it.
m
l
November 5, 2010 8:11:24 PM

I think you will need to be a bit clearer regarding your budget and usage. Hard core video editing is far different than throwing up the occasional Youtube video for friends.

Gaming means different things to different folks. The resolution of your monitor will also dictate how much video card you need.

There are links in my signature that might help you.
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2010 8:27:16 PM

Kureme, Sorry about skipping the questions on how to ask for build advice, did not know about them.

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next couple weeks

Budget Range: Some where around $1200, I really do not have a budget, however I do not want to break the bank on this build.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, editing video, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: none

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: not sure

Additional Comments: This computer is for my wife and she want a computer that performs well and doesn't bog down when she is playing her games or editing video.

My biggest problem is that I do not know what questions to ask. I am trying to find what would be the absolutle best computer at the best price that meets her needs.

Thanks for the help

Larry
m
l
November 5, 2010 8:38:42 PM

At around $1200, kureme's build is excellent. You could substitute an nVidia GTX 470 in place of the AMD 6870 graphics card, if you have a preference for nVidia, but that's really about it.

Optional addons:
* SSD for boot/apps drive - about $120 for a 60 GB Agility2/Vertex 2/Callisto/Phoenix/Force or about $240 for a 120 GB drive.
* processor upgrade to i7-870 - only if high-end video editing is likely
* RAM upgrade to 8 GB - also only for high-end video editing
m
l
November 5, 2010 9:29:35 PM

The i7 950 is the best in terms of price/performance ratio. The 980 is just a joke @$1000.

Get an Asus Sabertooth or a Gigabyte UD3 (both around $200). You'll never need the insane EVGA.

GPU - Get one according to your budget & resolution. But some games do perform better with NVidia cards. What games do you intend to play & at what resolution?

RAM - With the i7 system, what you need is 12GB(3x4GB) DDR3 1600 RAM - Should cost under 300.

You can also go with a hexacore AMD system (1090t)- not quad-core - to save a bit of money. But that will be a lot slower for gaming & slightly slower overall for video rendering. - Phenom II 1090T vs Core i7 950

EDIT : If you don't need a system right now, I'll say wait for a few weeks 'coz both AMD & Intel are coming out with new tech shortly & that'll surely shake things up a bit. The new hyperthreaded i7-2600 may just be your calling! :) 
m
l
November 5, 2010 9:33:28 PM

I will find out what video resolution my wife plays her games at and update my post.

Thanks to all who have posted a response
m
l
!