Lesson Learned Today

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 12, 2005 4:21:07 PM

Novice BobSam learned a lesson today.

DON'T delete images!

Today I got an email from a head basketball coach of a team that I had
photographed recently in a Holiday tournament requesting all the photos
that I had shot. His wife makes a srapbook for the players, collecting
all the article and photos she can.

Well you can guess what I had done. ;-(
I got behind in the tournament and one of the games I failed to process
--- crop and color adjust. AND deleted the entire game from my HD
(shift delete -- Gone). I have the other games to give him, and he
doesn't know I took pictures of the missing game, but darn the luck. It
would have been nice to give them all five for the "exposure" to the
team and school.

Lesson Learned -- DON'T DELETE IMAGES - Move them to a cd if they are
"bothering" you.

Good Luck!

Novice BobSam

More about : lesson learned today

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 8:03:43 PM

Unfortunately, we have done a lot of disk writes and deletes. I
recovered a 40 meg video last year with real good results but this time
I am sure it is too late.
Thank you for the suggestion on the recovery method.
Regards,
Novice BobSam
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 9:10:18 PM

>DON'T delete images!

Folks rarely throw out negatives.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/
January 13, 2005 1:25:21 AM

BobSam wrote:

> Novice BobSam learned a lesson today.
>
> DON'T delete images!

You can bet it. And you always learn it the wrong way.

[snip]
--
al-Farrob
--

On 12 Jan 2005 in rec.photo.digital, BobSam wrote:

> Lesson Learned -- DON'T DELETE IMAGES - Move them to a cd if they are
> "bothering" you.

Unless you've done a lot of disk writing since you deleted them, they may
still be recoverable. Google for 'file recovery windows' or 'undelete'
(I assume you're on Windows?) and you may be able to come up with not-
very-expensive shareware which will enable you to recover them. Make
sure you trust the source and check for viruses first, though.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:10:18 -0700, Frank Vuotto <deepthrob@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >DON'T delete images!
> >

> Folks rarely throw out negatives.

A lot more people do that than you would imagine.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:08:23 PM

> --- crop and color adjust. AND deleted the entire game from my HD
> (shift delete -- Gone). I have the other games to give him, and he

http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/amd/887/rescue/e_inde...
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
etc.etc.free

http://www.ontrack.com/software/
etc. pay

If it's on your HD, and you only did a SHIFT-DELETE, you can immediately
recover every deleted file IF AND ONLY IF you immediately DO NOTHING
ELSE to the computer!

Otherwise, as time goes by, more and more of those images will be
overwritten by new data.

The recovery programs (some are free) can easily recover almost all
deleted image files right away w/o any worries at all.

----

Keep in mind that deleting a file on most systems does not do anything
except mark a directory table entry as empty - the actual file is still
sitting on the HD.

In other words, if it's really, really sensitive data - someone else can
get to it. You'd better erase it with:
http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:10:02 PM

and the most important thing, make a backup to CDs (verified after
write) on anything important first thing.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:34:25 PM

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> Novice BobSam learned a lesson today.
>
> DON'T delete images!
>
> Today I got an email from a head basketball coach of a team that I had
> photographed recently in a Holiday tournament requesting all the photos
> that I had shot. His wife makes a srapbook for the players, collecting
> all the article and photos she can.
>
> Well you can guess what I had done. ;-(
> I got behind in the tournament and one of the games I failed to process
> --- crop and color adjust. AND deleted the entire game from my HD
> (shift delete -- Gone). I have the other games to give him, and he
> doesn't know I took pictures of the missing game, but darn the luck. It
> would have been nice to give them all five for the "exposure" to the
> team and school.
>
> Lesson Learned -- DON'T DELETE IMAGES - Move them to a cd if they are
> "bothering" you.
>
> Good Luck!

I've tried to avoid the scenerio by copying them first to my external drive
(where I keep most of my work) and then recopy via Firewire to the internal
drive. As soon as I have around 700mb of pix I transfer these to a CDR.
Hopefully both drives won't fail at the same time. Friends have even gone to
the trouble of buying two external drives and saving to both.
!