Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Athlon ii x3 440

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 31, 2011 6:00:06 AM

Hi, I just bought my desktop. The shop offered free unlocking from athlon ii x3 to phenom ii x4 b40 (3.0ghz). Later found out (at home), that L3 cache was not present, which is very disappointing.
I'm using Asrock n68c- s ucc, is there any way that I can unlock L3 cache?
Also, still looking for the best Video card for my system, given with these processor and motherboard, what should I follow when installing new hardwares and programs like video card, the one that is compatible with original athlon ii x3 or the newly unlocked phenom ii x4 b40?

Also, I noticed that my system though still new, runs slow. The program doesn't open right away. My windows 7 32 bit, would display color scheme changed to basic if I have few tasks running (like some folders opened, 2 browsers, yahoo messenger, skype while playing Plants vs zombies)

How can I optimize my processor and why am I encountering these where in fact I'm using 4 cores?

I'm using CPU-Z to scan my system, but don't know how to interpret it.
What values in CPU- Z, should my system have to fix these issues?
Or what are the numbers I should have on what field (not OC values please)

What can I do to optimize my system overall.
BaseScore WIndows performance is 3.0 by the way. :( 

CPU-Z:
CPU:
Name: AMD Phenom II X4
Code Name: Deneb
Brand ID: 29
Package: Socket AM3 (938)
Technology: 45nm
Core Voltage: 1.144V
Specs: AMD Phenom (tm) II X4 B40 Processor
Core SPeed: 803.7 MHz
Multiplier: x 4.0
Bus Speed: 200.9MHz
HT link: 1004.5 MHz
Cache: L1 Data- 4x 64 KBytes 2-way
L1 Inst.- 4x 64 KBytes 2-way
Level 2 4x 512 KBytes 16-way

Cores: 4
Threads: 4
Channels: Single
NB Frequency: 1607.3 MHz

DRAM Frequency: 401.8 MHz
FSB: DRAM: 1:2
CAS# Latency (CL): 6.0 Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 6 Clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 15Clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 20 CLocks
Command Rate (CR): 2T

More about : athlon 440

a b à CPUs
January 31, 2011 9:08:33 AM

Your CPU is most likely a propus which does not have any L3 cache. CPU-Z often misidentifies unlocked CPUs. I have a rana 445 and by checking the serial code on the chip it was identified as a propus yet CPU-Z labels it a Deneb.

I'm currently use an AMD HD6850 with my unlocked 445 and they seem to work well together. A HD6870 would probably be another good option if your looking for a little more depending on your resolution and monitor size.

Your slow overall performance may be contributed to a unstable or faulty unlocked core or may be your hard drive. It also seems you are using a single 2G stick of ram so you are not getting the benefit of dual channel which may cause sluggish performance.
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
January 31, 2011 9:19:59 AM

For the GPU I recommend you get a 5770 or better anything over a 6870 would ber overkill for your system. and +1 to the get 2 x 2Gb RAM for dual channel also check the spec of the ram and set it to that in the bios. If there was L3 cache there it would unlock with the extra core so its jst not there. You could try running with the core locked again just to compare how it runs.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2011 9:21:16 AM

Thank you for the reply.

Where do I verify or enter the serial code for me to know if it's deneb or propus?
I'll check the reviews on AMD HD6850, thanks!

Regarding my system's slow performance, if it's unstable or faulty unlocked core, where do I check or how do I verify
that if it's really the unlocked core and also the hardrive? My HDD is samsung 320gb, brandnew.
Single 2G stick of RAM? Where is that, how did you know and how can I get the benefit of the dual channel?

Please let me know all these information I need to improve my desktop pc performance.

Thanks in Advance!
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
January 31, 2011 9:26:11 AM

"Regarding my system's slow performance, if it's unstable or faulty unlocked core, where do I check or how do I verify that if it's really the unlocked core"
The CPUz confirms there is an unlocked core to check if its stable run Prime 95 for 2+ hours.

The Hard drive should be fine as lng as it really is new and not an old IDE one or anything

"ingle 2G stick of RAM? Where is that, how did you know"
You said "
Memory:
Type: DDR3
Size: 2048 MBytes
Channels: Single
NB Frequency: 1607.3 MHz "
You need 2 identical sticks to run in dual channel

Adding an extra stick of RAM will most likely sort the performance issues out.
m
l
January 31, 2011 9:29:36 AM

Thanks Baralis and Simon!

@Simon, I'll read reviews for GPU 5770, thanks!
okay, I'll add 2gb RAM, currently this one I'm using is Elixir (brandname), is it okay if I mix it up with other brand as long as it's 2gb DDR3?
Is there any program (that can show reliable results) to check
the performance (number or percentage results) of this current system I have?
for me to also check the locked system which is athlon ii x3,
I'll compare both cpu the unlock (phenom II x4) and the athlon ii x3...
Please suggest a very good program that I can use to compare the both of them.

Thanks in Advance!

m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
January 31, 2011 9:33:43 AM

Sorry I forgot to say you only need the GPU if you are gaming if not a much cheaper one would be fine. As for the RAM you normally buy 2 identical sticks together I am nt sure how important this is but I would always make sure they are the same speed and timings not just DDR3. SiSandra will tell you if your system is performing as well as it should.
m
l
January 31, 2011 9:54:49 AM

@Simon, Thanks! I'll try SiSandra. Will post the result for you guys to interpret it for me.
Where do I set the speed and timings of the 2 "identical" sticks of RAM? (if I'll need to do it manually)...
I have Prime95 but I tried to run it once then my system started to run slow and flashing, I was worried and so I stopped it LOL!
Somehow I was able to let prime95 show the result, it's just that I don't know how to interpret or should I say, I just don't know how to use the program.
Can someone show me the first step on how to run the Prime95, what settings of Prime95 should I select and set to what numbers?

**I'm so happy because of the prompt response from ya'll guys! this is the best forum I've found.

Please post here everything you know to help me with my system, based on the "current" specs of desktop I have.
If there's a need for me to change some settings in BIOS please let me know
what and where in BIOS....

Thanks in advance!
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
January 31, 2011 10:01:43 AM

The RAM settings are in the bios, where depends on your motherboard look in manual if you have it. Prime95 stresses components to see if there stable the only results to watch for are errors, there are 3 options to run blend mainly tests your RAM the others the CPU. Keep an eye on your temps when you run it using a program called HWMonitor and don't let them go over 60C (55C prefered). The Sisandra results are self explanatory you can select similar systems to compare your results to.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2011 10:06:12 AM

Prime 95 will make your system very slow since it is maxing all your CPU cores out. However the flashing Im not sure about. Can you explain it further?

Memory timings can be set in the bios assuming your bios supports it. Most prebuilt PCs have very limited bios. CPU-Z should give your memory settings and memory model. You can look up your exact model of memory (google) and find the supported settings and make sure you are running within limits.

Also have you monitored your temps while running Prim95?

Edit- Looks like simon is ahead of me =)

I see your Core Voltage: 1.144V which may be a little low. If you run into instability you may need to bump it up a little at a time until stable. 1.144 is probably what it was set at for 3 cores. Currently I have mine at 1.28V for 4 cores. Anything below 1.4 is safe according to AMD.
m
l
January 31, 2011 10:15:06 AM

Thanks Simon. I'll look that up in the Manual of my Asrock board. I'll try my best to understand Prime95.
If I'll run Prim95 for 2days, you mean, whenever I turn ON the PC, it should run automatically right? Doesn't really mean, prime95 should be literally be running for 2straight days (not turning the PC OFF), am I correct? SOrry for being so ignorant on this. :)  I'm willing to learn all this from ya'll for me to maintain my pc, build new and try OC someday. :)  Really interested...
I guess, HWmonitor (another separate program) should be turned ON as soon as the prime95 is ON. Will monitor the temp. By the way, the fan I believe, is the default that came with the processor and I think that's the only fan.
Running prime95 and HWmonitor won't need an addional fan I believe, right?

Thanks in Advance!
m
l
January 31, 2011 10:20:55 AM

@Baralis, thanks to you too, I'll verify if Asrock n68c- s ucc model supports tweaking settings of the Timings. I'll google my RAM settings, thanks!
Will run Prime95 tomorrow or anytime I'm free to do all these things.

Is it okay to use my PC while Prime95 is running on the background for 2days? or should I just let the prime95 run and use my PC after the test(s)?
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
January 31, 2011 10:21:27 AM

Only run Prime 95 for 2 hours not 2 days and only as a 1 off, its just a stress test. HWMonitor just monitors your temps so start it just before Prime95 just so you can see if the temps go too high (and stop prime95 if they go too high). The stock fan is only designed for a 3 core CPU so if you temps do go to high then either lock the extra core back up or get a better cooling fan. You temps should peek after the 1st 10-15 mins of prime 95 so you don't need to keep watching them for 2 hours.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2011 10:28:09 AM

With a new PC I always watch my temperatures regularly with HWmonitor until I have a good idea of were it runs. You should definitely watch your temps while running Prime95 particularly with a stock heatsink and fan.

Some will in fact run Prime95 for days straight to ensure stability. Personally I never ran it for more then 8 hours at a time. While Prime is a great indicator of stability it isnt perfect. For example my current system would run Prime95 for hours with no errors but as soon as I tried to watch a video my PC would crash due to low voltage untill I bumped by Vcore up 0.2.

m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
January 31, 2011 10:37:29 AM

BTW I have built 2 PC with that exact board and it does allow you to set the RAM to the correct speed and on both my builds it doesn't get it right by default so your RAM is most likely running slower than it should. Your CPUz results show its only running at 800MHz which is slower than any DDR3 is rated. If you have the part no you can find the spec here http://www.elixir-memory.com/product_QueryResult.aspx?N...(RoHS%20Compliance)&Density=2GB&ShowFlag=N&Application=DeskTop
m
l
January 31, 2011 10:54:50 AM

Hi, Simon!
Yes, here it is:
Part No: M2F2G64CB88B7N-CG
Mnftrr: Nanya Technology
Max Bandwidth: PC3- 107000(667MHz)

Thanks for the input.
m
l

Best solution

a c 102 à CPUs
January 31, 2011 11:35:42 AM

So you need to set the speed to 1333MHz not the 800MHz its at and if you want try to get another stick of the same part no, if not 1333MHz cl9 1.5V
February 2, 2011 7:57:24 PM

I"m back! I have the entire day to set it right.
Just a refresher, @simon, 1333MHz is what you've found out after giving you the Part Number of RAM, right?
Why did you compare it with 800MHz? 800MHz is the core speed (processor speed) and not the RAM speed right?
Little confuse... Please help me out.

Ram Speed and Core speed are different?
I'll open the Asrock Bios later, based on the CPU- Z I posted,
what should I change the value first?

m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
February 2, 2011 8:02:35 PM

Yes 1333MHz is from the past no. Your cpu Z readings say "DRAM Frequency: 401.8 MHz FSB: DRAM: 1:2" this means its running at 800MHz. Yes RAM speed and core speed are different though they are both linked.
m
l
February 2, 2011 8:07:08 PM

wow! you're there!
Okay, I'll try my best not to be confused with RAM speed and Core speed.
In BIOS, I'll need to change the value of my RAM to 1333MHz, right?
What value should I enter for the Core Speed? Is there anywhere in BIOS we can set/change the speed of the Core speed?
m
l
February 2, 2011 8:14:09 PM

@Simon12, I'll be changing the values in my BIOS mobo based on what you suggest.
I hope you can give me what value should I change first, next, so on and so forth.
Thanks in advance!
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
February 2, 2011 8:15:17 PM

Yes set the RAM to 1333MHZ. Don't mess with the core speed unless you want to overclock its only running at 800MHz because its idle and will go up to the correct speed when it needs to.
m
l
February 2, 2011 9:30:54 PM

Memory Tab: CPU- Z
Type: DDR3
Size: 2048 MBytes
Channels # Single
NB Frequency: 1607.2 MHz

DRAM Frequency: 669.7 MHz
FSB: DRAM : 3.10
CAS# Latency (CL): 9.0 Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 12 Clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP): 12 Clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 30 Clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 33 Clocks
Command Rate (CR): 2T

Did I get it right?
this is the result of CPU- Z, after making RAM changes in BIOS
The CL, i set it to 9 clocks
Did I miss something?
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
February 2, 2011 9:44:28 PM

That looks fine.
m
l
February 2, 2011 10:04:03 PM

simon12 said:
The RAM settings are in the bios, where depends on your motherboard look in manual if you have it. Prime95 stresses components to see if there stable the only results to watch for are errors, there are 3 options to run blend mainly tests your RAM the others the CPU. Keep an eye on your temps when you run it using a program called HWMonitor and don't let them go over 60C (55C prefered). The Sisandra results are self explanatory you can select similar systems to compare your results to.

55C preferred (where can this be found, what column?) by looking at the current HWMonitor result below my system has and Baralis said Vcore he suggests is higher than 1.14. Where can I change this considering the Max is only 1.27 and he's using 1.28v and accordingly from AMD max is 1.4 (which I don't see 1.4 from the HWmonitor result below).

Also, noticed that the Core Speed Jumps to 3000MHz+ sometimes, is that normal? Screenshot below:

Thanks in Advance!
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 10:32:32 PM

CPU temp would be the "CPUTIN" reading. Normally the temperature you would want to watch would be your core #0-3 but unlocking CPUs will usually cause these to read incorrectly as yours is.

These readings in HWMonitor are your mins/maxs of what your pc is actually hitting. So for instance a Core speed of 3100 max is what your CPU is at stock settings so seeing it that range is perfectly normal.

Your Vcore, the 1.27 that you have as a max is fine if you run stable. Each chip is a little different. If you run into instability you may need to raise it .01 at a time untill you find your stable.
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
February 3, 2011 9:17:49 AM

Your settings all look normal, you should check the maximum temp your CPU could reach by running prime 95 for 15 mins. This stresses the CPU and I would expect the Vcore voltage to increase while its running, watch the temps and stop it if the CPU temp goes over 60C.
m
l
February 7, 2011 5:17:27 AM

@Baralis and Simon12, thanks guys! learned a lot! :) 
m
l
February 7, 2011 5:18:55 AM

Best answer selected by animoso.
m
l
!