Sign in with
Your question

AMD motherboard recommendation am3+, All have similar specs and price?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 2, 2011 9:22:45 PM

Hi all,

I did my first system build in around 15 years and feel I did an okay job. I though I may make SOME mistakes. One was on the processor, but I always intend to replace it (got an Athlon instead of a Phenom)

The other was on the motherboard. I got an 880g based board. my main issue is that it is not very future proof. I already have need for usb 3.0 and the usb 3.0 card would take up the only open pci-e slot.

This system is used for office tasks, Computer graphics (motion picture composting),scientific computing and star craft II.

I've decided that the 970 based boards all seem to offer what I want. A good mix of expansion slots, usb 3.0, SATA III, AM3+. I think I could keep this system with processor upgrades for 5+ years.

All of the boards I've seen are around the same price 99-120( newegg.com )
Each manufacturer seems to have boards with the same features, at the same price.

How do I go about separating the wheat from the chaff? I've searched for customer and professional reviews. The only thing I really can see is removing the boards with high RMA complaints?

Any advice?

Thanks.
a c 1097 V Motherboard
October 3, 2011 1:48:06 AM

I just bought an MSI one because it was cheapest, then again I was choosing between ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and Asrock so either it was the cheapest or toss a coin!
I have used all those brands in the past with good results!
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2011 3:13:20 AM

I went AMD with my last purchase and had the same problem deciding. Ultimately I went with the one that had the BEST slot options for what I wanted to install (dual 5850s, TV tuner card, Soundblaster card), all else being equal. So..., what do you want to install? Can the board you choose handle what you want to install?

The MB had to have sufficient spacing for the air circulation for the video cards and have preferably x16 for both slots. Equally important was the compatability with the CPU I chose.

Price was a lower consideration. If a lower priced MB from a good brand had what I wanted that was good enough. Once I had it down to two choices I started reading as many reviews that I could find about the product to see if anyone had come across quirks during their review (spacing around CPU cooler for example)

I went with the Gigabyte 890FXA-UDA5 because it had all that I needed for slots, good reviews and the bonus that it looks good in the case.
Related resources
October 3, 2011 5:48:21 AM

I went with an ASUS m4a89gtd pro. gave me all the options i wanted and some extra features like a Sata 6.0 and USB 3.0 and got myself a p II 955 BE. Also depends alot of your case that your choosing. Good airflow is always nice but u pay a little more. So look into other things also. Mother boards with plenty features will run you between 100-140. If you looking into doing all that motion picture stuff then focus on a good compatible mb with gpu. Tell me what you decided on .
October 3, 2011 7:43:17 AM

Traildriver said:
I went AMD with my last purchase and had the same problem deciding. Ultimately I went with the one that had the BEST slot options for what I wanted to install (dual 5850s, TV tuner card, Soundblaster card), all else being equal. So..., what do you want to install? Can the board you choose handle what you want to install?.

Thanks for the response.

For right now my motherboard does everything I need. I don't plan on running crossfire. Right now I'm running a Radeon 5750 along with an ASUS PCI sound card. I want to install a usb 3.0 card. That would cost around $20 and take up the last open pci-e slot. I figured the $20 would be much better spent towards a new motherboard.

The last windows system I had was a p4, when I got it there were a lot of empty slots. I just re-imaged it be donated and as it leaves here all the slots were full, Firewire, Sound card, modem, Wi-Fi Card.

I am running a salvaged case from a HP enterprise machine. I haven't seen many cases under $150 that hold a candle to the way enterprise cases are designed. Airflow isn't something I've considered much. How much does the MB design affect this? Right now the case temps are quite good for cpu and gpu, but I'm only running a 65w CPU.

You mention CPU compatibility. I plan on getting a bulldozer, but in 3 years, when the current crop hit the $99 price point. Shouldn't all of the 970 based boards support the current 6 core Phenoms? Why wouldn't they all support the current AMD CPU's?

It looks like I may need to do bit more research because UFEI may be something I want to have. I'm hoping to run windows 8. I'll need to see if there are any advantages to UFEI or I should look at that for my next machine.

October 3, 2011 7:48:12 AM

andrey64 said:
I went with an ASUS m4a89gtd pro. gave me all the options i wanted and some extra features like a Sata 6.0 and USB 3.0 and got myself a p II 955 BE. Also depends alot of your case that your choosing. Good airflow is always nice but u pay a little more. So look into other things also. Mother boards with plenty features will run you between 100-140. If you looking into doing all that motion picture stuff then focus on a good compatible mb with gpu. Tell me what you decided on .

Thank you for your response.

I'll update you when I decide. I'm actually running my build right now, except I have gigabyte 880 based motherboard. It's just a bit to limited for my future plans. Since It works and is up and running right now I may take my time. If the bios updates come to support the FX chips. , I may even consider some 870 based boards.
October 3, 2011 7:51:59 AM

rolli59 said:
I just bought an MSI one because it was cheapest, then again I was choosing between ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and Asrock so either it was the cheapest or toss a coin!
I have used all those brands in the past with good results!

That is the ting I have found, it appears to be up to a coin toss.

What do you like about your motherboard? Anythings you use that you thought you wouldn't? Any features you thought would be cool and didn't touch after your initial build?

Are there any bad brands? It seems that ASUS gets top marks on the highest end boards, does that quality trickle down to lower end boards?

Thank you for your input.
!