Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't boot after graphics card install attempt

Last response: in Motherboards
October 2, 2011 10:29:44 PM

Hello,
I tried installing my old video card on my new PC. The video card is a Radeon 4850. The PC I built is an AMD Athlon II CPU on an M4A88T-M/USB3.
Without the video card, my computer booted fine. But after I attempted to install the video card, my PC no longer boots. It powers on, but there's nothing on the screen and the fan just keeps turning. It almost sounds like it's trying to turn on continuously: fan starts up, dies off, starts up again, dies off, etc, etc.
I previously thought it was of a bad motherboard and have sent it back for warranty about 5 times, each time they sent me a new motherboard.
I've tried taking out the battery on the motherboard to factory reset the BIOS, but that didn't help.
Anybody have any idea what might be going on?
One more piece of information is that the Video Card may be bad. My PC was destroyed last year due to a power surge. Now I suspect that the video card was also fried. But can a fried video card mess up my motherboard?

Thanks for your help..
October 3, 2011 3:04:45 PM

Any insights, anyone?
m
l
October 4, 2011 8:38:40 PM

Help please?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 8:53:03 PM

calm down - LOL so it works without the video card?
m
l
October 4, 2011 10:47:40 PM

It used to work without the video card. Now it won't work even without the video card.
m
l
October 5, 2011 1:04:51 PM

This could be an undervolt condition with the power supplied to the video card.
It cannot reach the preset threshold to properly power the system.
Did you plug-in the 4-pin power connector to the video card?
Do you have a large enough power supply to handle all the hardware attached devices?

AFTER YOU REMOVE THE A/C POWER CORD TO THE POWER SUPPLY.
Try unplugging the main power connector from the Mobo and remove the video card.
After you remove the video card, wait 5 mins, and then reinsert the card. Re-attach the main power
connector and then cold boot. If it tries to launch but cannot, you need a better power supply.

I would say you need at least a 500 watt power supply for most modern boards.
Especially if you have more than one HDD, dual channel memory and a DirectX 10+ video card.
Moreover, at least a 600 watt (700w to be sure) if you run Dual video monitors on it as well.

Try the card in another system if you can, but I suspect either you have an undervolt condition in the system or your power regulation components on the mainboard has already been damaged.

** If you have a Mobo with built in onboard video, you'll need to disable the onboard video in the Bios by selecting "PCI-E" as the primary or select "disabled" in a menu. Then try again as stated above.
m
l
October 5, 2011 5:31:40 PM

I have a 600W power supply. At this point, I'm pretty certain it's the video card that's messing up the mobo.
The mobo has an onboard video card. So even if the ATI video card didn't work after connection, the onboard video card should have worked when I disconnected the card from my mobo.
So after I disconnected the video card, to flash teh BIOS, I took out the mobo battery, disconnected the power from the PSU and left it overnight. I reconnected the power to the PSU the following morning, reinserting the battery on the mobo as well. Still same issue.
I will try to get another warranty replacement, and probably trash the Radeon 4850 card.
m
l
!