Anyone know why this motherboard is no longer offered?

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Well, I actually built two rigs. The first one I upgraded to the Z68 but kept the same i7-2600 processor. The other right still has the P67 board mentioned above. If it is a bad chipset, I would prefer to upgrade it now before I build her's using my old m/b.

draggoth

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
There was indeed a problem with some of the early P67/H67 chipsets, but it was fixed a while ago and the motherboard you mention looks like it's the B3 model(with no bugs), maybe they just ran out of stock on this one.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

The P67/H67 chipsets aren't bad at all, I think they can still be very viable platforms for a while, it's just that the Z68 has the combined features of P67/H67 and also throws in a couple of nice new things, like ssd caching.

Also, I'm not completely sure but some Z68 motherboards are gonna be able to support the new 22nm processors from Intel coming next year with just a bios update, so that might extend the usability of those boards.