Backup

Archex

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I need help setting up a backup. I'm trying to backup all my files as well as my windows installation and programs on an external HDD. i know this is possible by cloning my entire boot drive and creating an image file. if my boot drive fails i can use that image to recover windows and all my files/programs. i want my computer to do this automatically but i only want it to update the files that have changed on the image, i don't want it to write 209 Gb of data every time I save a few pictures or work files. is it possible to back up just the new files to the image and not the windows installation.
Also i want to create a large image file that includes windows and everything else because when this array fails i want to be able to copy that image to a new drive and avoid having to install windows plus tons of programs. If im not too clear please let me know thx.

Solution

Create a base image, then run regular backups of the files after that to capture changes.
To do a full restore, you would restore the image then run the backup program to restore the files not in the image.

Solution

Archex

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Correct me if I'm wrong, I should created a large image that includes everything, save it then run a seperate back up of files /folders that regularly change ?

Any good/ reliable back up software you'd recommend ?

I just use the windows backup, and also the xcopy command which can be set to only copy changed files.
Easeus makes a good free backup utility that can do everything you want http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html