Suggestions for software to easily copy large numbers of d..

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 12, 2005 6:29:04 PM

Can anyone make some suggestons for software that can easily copy large
numbers of digital images to CDs and DVDs (and span more than one disk, if
necessary)? Following some suggestions from this group, I did buy a program
a couple of years ago that I thought was just what I needed -- Archive
Creator. I even tried out the demo version first, and every *seemed* to go
smoothly. It was only after purchasing the full version (non-refundable)
that I learned that it created major problems with my system. I use Win
XP-Home edition on a Compaq Presario 8000 computer, and my first inkling of
a problem was that System Restore would not work after installing Archive
Creator. I made many attempts and communicated with the publishers, but
nothing helped. Finally, I uninstalled Archive Creator -- and then all of
my options under "Help and Support" literally disappeared from the screen.
I finally used System Restore by going a different route (through
Start>Accessories, etc.), restored to a date earlier than when I had
installed AC, and then everything worked fine. Recently, I had to reformat
my hard disk and reinstall everything. So, I decided to try AC again -- and
had exactly the same results.

So, can anyone recommend an alternative program that will carry out the type
of functions that AC was actually designed for? I went into such great
length about AC because it does have exactly what I wanted -- easy to use,
fairly fast, and can be used to copy both image files and data files (in
fact, any type) to both CDs and DVDs. I also like using a "tree" of my
computer files that I can quickly click so that only those files I select
will be copied. It's unfortunate that AC is obviously completely
incompatible with my system.

Thanks,

MaryL
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:08:31 AM

It would be too difficult to group your material into 4.5 GB chunks?
From there, Nero (or almost anything else) gets the job done.

MaryL wrote:
> Can anyone make some suggestons for software that can easily copy large
> numbers of digital images to CDs and DVDs (and span more than one disk, if
> necessary)?
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:08:32 AM

"Robert Barr" <not@for.harvest> wrote in message
> It would be too difficult to group your material into 4.5 GB chunks? From
> there, Nero (or almost anything else) gets the job done.
>
> MaryL wrote:
>> Can anyone make some suggestons for software that can easily copy large
>> numbers of digital images to CDs and DVDs (and span more than one disk,
>> if necessary)?

I have both my data files and digital images categorized into a great many
folders (similar to the "directories" I used back in my DOS days). This
works very well for me. I can easily find exactly what I want. For
example, each class I teach has a folder with some subfolders, also
organized by topic. The end result is: this is very efficient for me, but
the different folders with varying numbers of files of greatly different
sizes would, indeed, make it very difficult to group material into specific
chunks for backup. I would like to be able to click on the parent folders
(often with *many* files or photos) and simply copy those to CDs or DVDs if
I can find the "right" program that will automatically span more than one
disk. Colin mentioned PowerDesk, and that looks very interesting. I sent
e-mail to customer support to see if it spans multiple disks. I don't have
any objection at all to paying for software if I can find a product that
will do what I want. Freeware is nice, but almost everything on my computer
is a commercial product that I bought -- again, no objections as all, as
long as it works well.

Thanks,
MaryL
January 13, 2005 3:46:45 PM

MaryL wrote:

> Can anyone make some suggestons for software that can easily copy large
> numbers of digital images to CDs and DVDs (and span more than one disk, if
> necessary)? Following some suggestions from this group, I did buy a program
> a couple of years ago that I thought was just what I needed -- Archive
> Creator. I even tried out the demo version first, and every *seemed* to go
> smoothly. It was only after purchasing the full version (non-refundable)
> that I learned that it created major problems with my system. I use Win
> XP-Home edition on a Compaq Presario 8000 computer, and my first inkling of
> a problem was that System Restore would not work after installing Archive
> Creator. I made many attempts and communicated with the publishers, but
> nothing helped. Finally, I uninstalled Archive Creator -- and then all of
> my options under "Help and Support" literally disappeared from the screen.
> I finally used System Restore by going a different route (through
> Start>Accessories, etc.), restored to a date earlier than when I had
> installed AC, and then everything worked fine. Recently, I had to reformat
> my hard disk and reinstall everything. So, I decided to try AC again -- and
> had exactly the same results.
>
> So, can anyone recommend an alternative program that will carry out the type
> of functions that AC was actually designed for? I went into such great
> length about AC because it does have exactly what I wanted -- easy to use,
> fairly fast, and can be used to copy both image files and data files (in
> fact, any type) to both CDs and DVDs. I also like using a "tree" of my
> computer files that I can quickly click so that only those files I select
> will be copied. It's unfortunate that AC is obviously completely
> incompatible with my system.
>
> Thanks,
>
> MaryL

A file manager like Powerdesk or ExplorerPlus, which are considerably
more powerful versions of Windows Explorer will do it. Or, if you don't
mind a dos-like command-line interface, xxcopy is brilliant, though
there is a learning curve,there are over 200 cammand variations.
Googl;e for any of them. The first two are like about $US40, xxcopy is
free.

Colin
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:34:26 PM

"Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> MaryL wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone make some suggestons for software that can easily copy large
>> numbers of digital images to CDs and DVDs (and span more than one disk,
>> if
>> necessary)? Following some suggestions from this group, I did buy a
>> program
>> a couple of years ago that I thought was just what I needed -- Archive
>> Creator. I even tried out the demo version first, and every *seemed* to
>> go
>> smoothly. It was only after purchasing the full version (non-refundable)
>> that I learned that it created major problems with my system. I use Win
>> XP-Home edition on a Compaq Presario 8000 computer, and my first inkling
>> of
>> a problem was that System Restore would not work after installing Archive
>> Creator. I made many attempts and communicated with the publishers, but
>> nothing helped. Finally, I uninstalled Archive Creator -- and then all
>> of
>> my options under "Help and Support" literally disappeared from the
>> screen.
>> I finally used System Restore by going a different route (through
>> Start>Accessories, etc.), restored to a date earlier than when I had
>> installed AC, and then everything worked fine. Recently, I had to
>> reformat
>> my hard disk and reinstall everything. So, I decided to try AC again --
>> and
>> had exactly the same results.
>>
>> So, can anyone recommend an alternative program that will carry out the
>> type
>> of functions that AC was actually designed for? I went into such great
>> length about AC because it does have exactly what I wanted -- easy to
>> use,
>> fairly fast, and can be used to copy both image files and data files (in
>> fact, any type) to both CDs and DVDs. I also like using a "tree" of my
>> computer files that I can quickly click so that only those files I select
>> will be copied. It's unfortunate that AC is obviously completely
>> incompatible with my system.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> MaryL
>
> A file manager like Powerdesk or ExplorerPlus, which are considerably
> more powerful versions of Windows Explorer will do it. Or, if you don't
> mind a dos-like command-line interface, xxcopy is brilliant, though
> there is a learning curve,there are over 200 cammand variations.
> Googl;e for any of them. The first two are like about $US40, xxcopy is
> free.
>
> Colin

Thanks for the suggestions. PowerDesk looked "great" for awhile, but I sent
email with a couple of questions -- and learned that it will not span
multiple disks. So, it's back to the drawing board... I still need to look
into ExplorerPlus. The one web site I checked didn't have much information
about it.

MaryL
January 14, 2005 1:34:21 AM

I normally use Nero Burning ROM to back up my photos - I don't like the
idea of spanned disks at all, because of the aformentioned problems
with the "index" disk going bad. Some programs apparently can recover
gracefully from this, but many have no idea what to do if the first or
last disk is bad or goes missing.

I have to say, with the price of media being what it is, I usually just
accept a bit of wastage. I will often leave 50-100 MB empty on a CD-R;
I'll put a couple of months of photos on the disk, and then if the next
month doesn't fit, I just go on to the next disk. It's 10-20 cents a
disk, so what? I'm even getting good quality DVD-R for $0.40 now....
ECM
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:26:31 PM

MaryL wrote:

> "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> >

> > MaryL wrote:
> >>
> >> Can anyone make some suggestons for software that can easily copy large
> >> numbers of digital images to CDs and DVDs (and span more than one disk,
> >> if
> >> necessary)?

> > A file manager like Powerdesk or ExplorerPlus, which are considerably
> > more powerful versions of Windows Explorer will do it. Or, if you don't
> > mind a dos-like command-line interface, xxcopy is brilliant, though
> > there is a learning curve,there are over 200 cammand variations.
> > Googl;e for any of them. The first two are like about $US40, xxcopy is
> > free.
> >
> > Colin
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. PowerDesk looked "great" for awhile, but I sent
> email with a couple of questions -- and learned that it will not span
> multiple disks. So, it's back to the drawing board... I still need to look
> into ExplorerPlus. The one web site I checked didn't have much information
> about it.
>
> MaryL

I would think twice about spanning multiple disks, Mary. In my
experience with multiple-disk spanned backups, one has to insert the
first or last disk into the drive for it to read the backup contents,
and then insert the required disk. If for any reason the last disk
cannot be read, you may not be able to recover anything from the disk
set. For this reason, I back up image files disk by disk, each one
stand-alone. Then, if a disk cannot be read, that one is the only one
lost, and file recovery will be much easier than recovering from a
spanned set.

Colin
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:26:32 PM

> MaryL wrote:
>>
>> "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message

>> > A file manager like Powerdesk or ExplorerPlus, which are considerably
>> > more powerful versions of Windows Explorer will do it. Or, if you
>> > don't
>> > mind a dos-like command-line interface, xxcopy is brilliant, though
>> > there is a learning curve,there are over 200 cammand variations.
>> > Googl;e for any of them. The first two are like about $US40, xxcopy is
>> > free.
>> >
>> > Colin
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestions. PowerDesk looked "great" for awhile, but I
>> sent
>> email with a couple of questions -- and learned that it will not span
>> multiple disks. So, it's back to the drawing board... I still need to
>> look
>> into ExplorerPlus. The one web site I checked didn't have much
>> information
>> about it.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> I would think twice about spanning multiple disks, Mary. In my
> experience with multiple-disk spanned backups, one has to insert the
> first or last disk into the drive for it to read the backup contents,
> and then insert the required disk. If for any reason the last disk
> cannot be read, you may not be able to recover anything from the disk
> set. For this reason, I back up image files disk by disk, each one
> stand-alone. Then, if a disk cannot be read, that one is the only one
> lost, and file recovery will be much easier than recovering from a
> spanned set.
>
> Colin

I suspect that I simply don't understand how to facilitate this process.
How do you determine, in advance, which files will fit on a disk? I know
the size of the CDs and DVDs I use, and of course I can see the size of each
individual file. For that matter, it is easy to use Properties to determine
the size of each folder. However, I have numerous folders (some with
various sets of subfolders), and some have many files or digital images of
different sizes. So, is there some relatively easy to determine in advance
(that is, before starting to copy) which specific files and folders will fit
on a disk? I am using XP-Home Edition.

Thanks,
MaryL
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:26:33 PM

> I suspect that I simply don't understand how to facilitate this
> process. How do you determine, in advance, which files will fit on a
> disk? I know the size of the CDs and DVDs I use, and of course I can
> see the size of each individual file. For that matter, it is easy to
> use Properties to determine the size of each folder. However, I have
> numerous folders (some with various sets of subfolders), and some
> have many files or digital images of different sizes. So, is there
> some relatively easy to determine in advance (that is, before
> starting to copy) which specific files and folders will fit on a
> disk? I am using XP-Home Edition.

This program offers a complete display of directory and file sizes. It
won't solve your problem, but may make the eventual solution easier to
see or implement.
http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml

I have a not-pro edition from a while back, free quick and easy. I don't
know if such is still avalable.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Kibo informs me that "MaryL" <carstan101@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER>
stated that:

>I suspect that I simply don't understand how to facilitate this process.
>How do you determine, in advance, which files will fit on a disk? I know
>the size of the CDs and DVDs I use, and of course I can see the size of each
>individual file. For that matter, it is easy to use Properties to determine
>the size of each folder. However, I have numerous folders (some with
>various sets of subfolders), and some have many files or digital images of
>different sizes. So, is there some relatively easy to determine in advance
>(that is, before starting to copy) which specific files and folders will fit
>on a disk? I am using XP-Home Edition.

Not if you want to keep them grouped on the target disk, no.

I am in the process of writing a program to perform this exact task, but
don't hold your breath waiting for it, as I'm only working on it when I
have spare time, which is kind of rare.

(If anyone knows of a tool that can select a group of files to best fit
a specific target disk size, while retaining the original directory
structure, please let me know, as it'll save me from having to reinvent
the wheel.)

January 14, 2005 4:46:22 PM

<usenet@imagenoir.com> wrote in message
SNIP
> (If anyone knows of a tool that can select a group of files
> to best fit a specific target disk size, while retaining the
> original directory structure, please let me know, as it'll save
> me from having to reinvent the wheel.)

The easiest/fastest way is to sort the files by size (large to small),
copy the largest file(s) that fit(s) the remaining space, if it
doesn't fit move to the next smaller file in line until it fits or
there are no smaller files. If there are still files to be written,
proceed with a new disk and begin with the largest unwritten file,
etc. until the total file list has been written.

Bart
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:46:23 PM

"Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message

> <usenet@imagenoir.com> wrote in message
> SNIP
>> (If anyone knows of a tool that can select a group of files
>> to best fit a specific target disk size, while retaining the
>> original directory structure, please let me know, as it'll save
>> me from having to reinvent the wheel.)
>
> The easiest/fastest way is to sort the files by size (large to small),
> copy the largest file(s) that fit(s) the remaining space, if it doesn't
> fit move to the next smaller file in line until it fits or there are no
> smaller files. If there are still files to be written, proceed with a new
> disk and begin with the largest unwritten file, etc. until the total file
> list has been written.
>
> Bart

That won't work with my setup. I have thousands of data files and thousands
of images. They are manageable because I have them categorized into dozens
of folders -- so, I am trying to find a way to click on parent folders
(which are far less numerous in numbers, of course) and copy the entire
contents. As an example of data files, I have all of my WordPerfect files
in one parent folder. They are then categorized by individual courses,
which are further broken down into syllabi, exams, lecture notes, etc.
Digital images are similarly categorized. The largest folders are the ones
labeled "All 2004 photos," "All 2003 photos, etc." Those are used only if I
have problems with the copies that I have edited and stored elsewhere.
However, they are important because those files contain all of my original
images. Images that I use more often are categorized -- trip to Alaska,
family, inventory, etc.

MaryL
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:46:24 PM

"MaryL" <carstan101@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

> "Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message
>>
>> <usenet@imagenoir.com> wrote in message
>> SNIP
>>> (If anyone knows of a tool that can select a group of files
>>> to best fit a specific target disk size, while retaining the
>>> original directory structure, please let me know, as it'll save
>>> me from having to reinvent the wheel.)
>>
>> The easiest/fastest way is to sort the files by size (large to small),
>> copy the largest file(s) that fit(s) the remaining space, if it doesn't
>> fit move to the next smaller file in line until it fits or there are no
>> smaller files. If there are still files to be written, proceed with a new
>> disk and begin with the largest unwritten file, etc. until the total file
>> list has been written.
>>
>> Bart
>
> That won't work with my setup. I have thousands of data files and
> thousands of images. They are manageable because I have them categorized
> into dozens of folders -- so, I am trying to find a way to click on parent
> folders (which are far less numerous in numbers, of course) and copy the
> entire contents. As an example of data files, I have all of my
> WordPerfect files in one parent folder. They are then categorized by
> individual courses, which are further broken down into syllabi, exams,
> lecture notes, etc. Digital images are similarly categorized. The largest
> folders are the ones labeled "All 2004 photos," "All 2003 photos, etc."
> Those are used only if I have problems with the copies that I have edited
> and stored elsewhere. However, they are important because those files
> contain all of my original images. Images that I use more often are
> categorized -- trip to Alaska, family, inventory, etc.
>
> MaryL

Addendum: In continually modify these folders -- I add, delete, and edit
many files on a frequent basis. Therefore, I can't simply copy the folders
"once" and think that I have completed the process. I need to be able to
frequently make current copies.

MaryL
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 6:44:46 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Paint Shop Pro 9(I think)
is a database that will archive photos to cd. It will also span
multiple cd's. From what I read it will also keep track of which photos
were also deleted from the hard drive and where they are on "offline"
media.

Another program from fototime will also do the same but it will not
span multiple cd's. These are photo management packages... albums,
books, slide shows, etc, with some editing ability also.

Don't know if you were looking for the management part as well.

MaryL wrote:
> "Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message
> >
> > "MaryL" <carstan101@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> > SNIP
> >> Addendum: In continually modify these folders -- I add, delete,
and edit
> >> many files on a frequent basis. Therefore, I can't simply copy
the
> >> folders "once" and think that I have completed the process. I
need to be
> >> able to frequently make current copies.
> >
> > Yes, that's typical, but not what Lionel asked.
> >
> > In your case, you need a program with a database that keeps track
on which
> > CD/DVD the actual image is stored. That will still allow to copy
files and
> > fill the disk as efficiently as possible, but it also requires
frequent
> > exchanges of disks. If the collection and the number of inquiries
is large
> > enough, harddisk storage or a jukebox is the way to go (with
off-line
> > back-ups).
> >
> > Bart
>
> We're now back to "square one." When I started this thread, that is
what I
> was really asking about -- software that would enable me to do just
what you
> have described. Bart and the previous poster were actually
responding to my
> request, and Bart suggested that files could be sorted by size to
easily
> copy. That's why I responded with my addendum (because I have too
many
> folders with numerous files and make too many modifications to do it
that
> way). Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:27:15 PM

MaryL wrote:

> "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> >

> > MaryL wrote:
> >>
> >> "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> >> Thanks for the suggestions. PowerDesk looked "great" for awhile, but I
> >> sent
> >> email with a couple of questions -- and learned that it will not span
> >> multiple disks. So, it's back to the drawing board... I still need to
> >> look
> >> into ExplorerPlus. The one web site I checked didn't have much
> >> information
> >> about it.
> >>
> >> MaryL
> >
> > I would think twice about spanning multiple disks, Mary. In my
> > experience with multiple-disk spanned backups, one has to insert the
> > first or last disk into the drive for it to read the backup contents,
> > and then insert the required disk. If for any reason the last disk
> > cannot be read, you may not be able to recover anything from the disk
> > set. For this reason, I back up image files disk by disk, each one
> > stand-alone. Then, if a disk cannot be read, that one is the only one
> > lost, and file recovery will be much easier than recovering from a
> > spanned set.
> >
> > Colin
>
> I suspect that I simply don't understand how to facilitate this process.
> How do you determine, in advance, which files will fit on a disk? I know
> the size of the CDs and DVDs I use, and of course I can see the size of each
> individual file. For that matter, it is easy to use Properties to determine
> the size of each folder. However, I have numerous folders (some with
> various sets of subfolders), and some have many files or digital images of
> different sizes. So, is there some relatively easy to determine in advance
> (that is, before starting to copy) which specific files and folders will fit
> on a disk? I am using XP-Home Edition.
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL
Powerdesk and ExplorerPlus allow you to right-click on a folder, and
under 'properties' you can see the aggregate size of the files in that
folder.

If you open the folder with a left-click and see the files listed in the
right-hand pane, the total bytes of the files can be seen at centre
bottom. To the left of that you will see 'Objects selected' and the
aggregate bytes. Selecting one or more files with shift/arrow will show
the aggregate bytes of selected files, which you can then copy to your
backup disk For a 700MB cd, I put a maximum of about 660 megabytes, to
allow a bit of headroom for the disk to finish writing. If the entire
folder is less than about 660MB then simply copy the folder to the cd.

Colin
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:28:43 PM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:27:15 +1300, Colin D <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1>
wrote:

>> I suspect that I simply don't understand how to facilitate this process.
>> How do you determine, in advance, which files will fit on a disk? I know
>> the size of the CDs and DVDs I use, and of course I can see the size of each
>> individual file. For that matter, it is easy to use Properties to determine
>> the size of each folder. However, I have numerous folders (some with
>> various sets of subfolders), and some have many files or digital images of
>> different sizes. So, is there some relatively easy to determine in advance
>> (that is, before starting to copy) which specific files and folders will fit
>> on a disk? I am using XP-Home Edition.

>Powerdesk and ExplorerPlus allow you to right-click on a folder, and
>under 'properties' you can see the aggregate size of the files in that
>folder.

So does the XP version of Windows Explorer.

--
Stephen Poley
Anonymous

"Stephen Poley" <sbpoleySpicedHamTrap@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:27:15 +1300, Colin D <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1>
> wrote:
>
>>> I suspect that I simply don't understand how to facilitate this process.
>>> How do you determine, in advance, which files will fit on a disk? I
>>> know
>>> the size of the CDs and DVDs I use, and of course I can see the size of
>>> each
>>> individual file. For that matter, it is easy to use Properties to
>>> determine
>>> the size of each folder. However, I have numerous folders (some with
>>> various sets of subfolders), and some have many files or digital images
>>> of
>>> different sizes. So, is there some relatively easy to determine in
>>> advance
>>> (that is, before starting to copy) which specific files and folders will
>>> fit
>>> on a disk? I am using XP-Home Edition.
>
>>Powerdesk and ExplorerPlus allow you to right-click on a folder, and
>>under 'properties' you can see the aggregate size of the files in that
>>folder.
>
> So does the XP version of Windows Explorer.
>
> --
> Stephen Poley

Yes, but that only gives the size of a folder -- no way to determine "where"
in a folder to cut off copying once a specific size has been reached, as far
as I can tell.

MaryL
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:28:45 PM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:03:20 +0000, MaryL wrote:

>>>Powerdesk and ExplorerPlus allow you to right-click on a folder, and
>>>under 'properties' you can see the aggregate size of the files in that
>>>folder.
>>
>> So does the XP version of Windows Explorer.
>>
>> --
>> Stephen Poley
>
> Yes, but that only gives the size of a folder -- no way to determine
> "where" in a folder to cut off copying once a specific size has been
> reached, as far as I can tell.

Just select as many files as you wish. Then right click on the selected
group & click properties.

In Win98 you can see the total size at the bottom of the window as soon
as you selct the files in Windows Explorer.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to gmajumdar@freeuk.com
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 1:43:26 AM

"MaryL" <carstan101@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
SNIP
> Addendum: In continually modify these folders -- I add, delete, and
> edit many files on a frequent basis. Therefore, I can't simply copy
> the folders "once" and think that I have completed the process. I
> need to be able to frequently make current copies.

Yes, that's typical, but not what Lionel asked.

In your case, you need a program with a database that keeps track on
which CD/DVD the actual image is stored. That will still allow to copy
files and fill the disk as efficiently as possible, but it also
requires frequent exchanges of disks. If the collection and the number
of inquiries is large enough, harddisk storage or a jukebox is the way
to go (with off-line back-ups).

Bart
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 1:43:27 AM

"Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message

> "MaryL" <carstan101@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> SNIP
>> Addendum: In continually modify these folders -- I add, delete, and edit
>> many files on a frequent basis. Therefore, I can't simply copy the
>> folders "once" and think that I have completed the process. I need to be
>> able to frequently make current copies.
>
> Yes, that's typical, but not what Lionel asked.
>
> In your case, you need a program with a database that keeps track on which
> CD/DVD the actual image is stored. That will still allow to copy files and
> fill the disk as efficiently as possible, but it also requires frequent
> exchanges of disks. If the collection and the number of inquiries is large
> enough, harddisk storage or a jukebox is the way to go (with off-line
> back-ups).
>
> Bart

We're now back to "square one." When I started this thread, that is what I
was really asking about -- software that would enable me to do just what you
have described. Bart and the previous poster were actually responding to my
request, and Bart suggested that files could be sorted by size to easily
copy. That's why I responded with my addendum (because I have too many
folders with numerous files and make too many modifications to do it that
way). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
MaryL
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 2:35:23 AM

In message <k87gu012ifq46kjnoglqpf5o55rv08pvgi@4ax.com>,
Stephen Poley <sbpoleySpicedHamTrap@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>So does the XP version of Windows Explorer.

That's been the case from at least Windows95.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
Anonymous