Athlon XP-M as Athlon MP?

Seli

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
According to Wikipedia the Athlon XP-M (mobile) hasn't been disabled for MP(multiprosessor) use, but is this a certain fact that's for all models?

I couldn't find a sure reference about this anywhere, I know initial XP and Duron models weren't locked out from MP as well, so that's why I'm asking.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Silly Dogman, he's talking about Athlon XP-M's and Athlon MP's, what in the world are you talking about....extra cores? All CPU's were single-core back in those days. More of your shot-gun "must answer every thread on THG" :)

And you're correct, the XP-M series wasn't SMP-disabled. Assuming the board will run the specific CPU you're going to use, it wouldn't be a problem to run them in SMP mode. AMD didn't block it in those processors. Now, of course, some SMP boards won't run XP-M's, but you would have to do your homework on that.

endyen

Splendid

Too true mav, though if the board wont run the chip it may be that it is not recognized, can be made to work with a simple bios flash (well on some of those boards, the bios had to be flashed using a floppy, so not so simple as by today's standards)