Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer Monitor Turns Black After Intel Logo

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2010 10:25:21 PM

Hey guys, my Dad and I built a beasty-of-a-computer as the 7 year old one... Got old?

It is now 2 years old and for the past 6 monthsish I've been having this very annoying problem with the monitor.

After the Intel screen, prompting to hit F8 or F2 for BIOS etc, the screen goes to the black screen with a blinking underscore in the top left. It should gain speed then go down a line and maintain speed then switch to the Windows 7 screen.

However, sometimes it does not gain speed at all in the top left. It just blinks slowly. After that, the monitor just turns off. The light goes completely out and the monitor button that is usually blue for "ON" turns amber for "PC NOT ON."

I usually reboot and it fixes it but sometimes I must reboot more than once for it to work properly.

Can I get any help?
a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2010 11:23:34 PM

I guess a good place to start would be to run a hard drive diagnostic. It sounds like to me the hard drive is having a hard time spinning the platters to load the OS. It could also be your power supply. Cheapest way to go tho would be to run a hard drive diagnostic. You can get those by going to the hard drive manufacturers website and download it.

BurntBread said:
Hey guys, my Dad and I built a beasty-of-a-computer as the 7 year old one... Got old?

It is now 2 years old and for the past 6 monthsish I've been having this very annoying problem with the monitor.

After the Intel screen, prompting to hit F8 or F2 for BIOS etc, the screen goes to the black screen with a blinking underscore in the top left. It should gain speed then go down a line and maintain speed then switch to the Windows 7 screen.

However, sometimes it does not gain speed at all in the top left. It just blinks slowly. After that, the monitor just turns off. The light goes completely out and the monitor button that is usually blue for "ON" turns amber for "PC NOT ON."

I usually reboot and it fixes it but sometimes I must reboot more than once for it to work properly.

Can I get any help?

m
l
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
a c 100 C Monitor
a c 140 å Intel
November 5, 2010 11:24:57 PM

Your computer is having an issue booting up (spending time looking for something or initializing something). If you enter BIOS and select that it will show post, it will tell you what is happening (hanging).
m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2010 2:30:38 AM

Thanks guys, I'll give this all a go tomorrow and see what happens.
m
l
November 15, 2010 7:14:02 PM

I ran the HDD Diagnostic from Western Digital and this is what I got...

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD1500HLFS-01G6U0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WXL608062920
Firmware Number: 04.04V01
Capacity: 150.04 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors.
Test Time: 16:10:51, November 15, 2010

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD1500HLFS-01G6U0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WXL608062920
Firmware Number: 04.04V01
Capacity: 150.04 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 65 (Error Log Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!
Test Time: 16:12:09, November 15, 2010
m
l
November 15, 2010 7:34:14 PM

rolli59 said:
Your computer is having an issue booting up (spending time looking for something or initializing something). If you enter BIOS and select that it will show post, it will tell you what is happening (hanging).

How do I do that?
m
l
November 16, 2010 12:03:30 AM

Help please.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
November 22, 2010 11:20:17 PM

BurntBread said:
Help please.

your drive is bad RMA it ...
November 30, 2010 8:04:10 PM

Best answer selected by BurntBread.
m
l
November 30, 2010 8:04:27 PM

RMA'd my hard drive and got a new one. Runs great again. Thanks.
m
l
!