GTX 275 - Upgrading to 3 Display setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfyParks

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Approx Purchase Date: Would like to purchase in the next week or so.

Budget: Ideally under $100, maybe $150

Usage (least to most important): Gaming (various games, Starcraft 2, Crysis, Bad Company 2, soon to be Black Ops) primarily on one of my two 1680x1050 monitors (upgrading one of those to a 21.5" 1920x1080 monitor as primary gaming monitor), and as a home theater on a 1080P HDTV

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: NVIDIA GTX 275, Corsair 750w

Relevant System Specs: Antec P193, 6 GB DDR3, EVGA x58 Tri-SLI, Intel I7 920 D0

Preferred Websites: Newegg.ca or NCIX.com

Parts Preferences: None really, unless sticking a Radeon and NVIDIA in the same case is a bad idea, which I would assume so :)

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, don't care really.

SLI: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (HDTV), 1920x1080 (21.5" monitor for gaming), 1680x1050

Comments: I currently have a GTX 275, running 2x 1680x1050 monitors off it. I would like to get another video card to have my TV run off of in 1080P for watching movies and basically as a home theater, and then use the other two monitors for gaming and other random things. I want to do this fairly cheaply, but still have it as a good setup. Any help would be appreciated :)

Solution

Yes it would but don't go lower than a GTS250, although running a third monitor from that card whilst playing a PhysX enabled title could chuck up some issues.
You cannot use them together. nVidia doesn't allow ATI drivers on its turf. There are some hacked drivers which make it work. Not much info on that.

You can use the GTX275 can be used as a physX card. But in any case the GTX275 is a very nice card. Why do you want to change it?

HalfyParks

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Wait, so if I install them, the GTX 275 could be used as a physX card on one monitor, and the ATI card would be working for the other two monitors? Would that be with or without the hacked drivers?

Timop

Distinguished
Not without messy modding.

Honestly the 5770 is just throwing out money for a performance downgrade, since the GTX275 SLI supports surround, and your Mobo supports SLI, your best option is another GTX275. Youll be able to use 3 monitors and get near-GTX480 performance.

HalfyParks

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I can't find a second GTX 275 for a reasonable amount, I don't exactly have much money :( Would it be worth getting a cheaper Nvidia card? Would that still allow for PhysX use?

Yes it would but don't go lower than a GTS250, although running a third monitor from that card whilst playing a PhysX enabled title could chuck up some issues.

Solution

Running three screens from two cards that are not the same with one of those cards dedicated to PhysX could result in the PhysX card crashing at times according to some folk who have tried it, using two of the same cards in SLi with PhysX enabled on the second GPU might not allow the three screens to show different images, I'm not sure because I haven't had the ability to try it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS