Sandy Bridge Recall coming?

teh_tourist

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/intel-finds-sandy-bridge-chipset-design-flaw-shipments-stopped/

Oh darn, and I just got rid of my old system too. This might not be too good if I have to wait months for a new processor.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

If you already have the new SB system, you'll just 'stick it out' until the replacement chipsets make their way to the motherboard manufacturers.
If you have one or two SATA drives (hard drives/SSDs/optical drives)... just plug them into the 6Gb/s SATA3 ports (ports 0 and 1). You will have no issue. Issue is only for the four 3Gb/s SATA2 ports. If you have more than 2 SATA drives... put less critical ones on the SATA2 ports. Supposedly the data is safe. If the issue manifests itself, performance will suffer (on that drive) to a point where the drive finally 'disappears' off that channel. You might be able to plut it into a different SATA2 port at that point to 'get it back'.

Some time in March or April, the mobo manufactuers should have supply to do RMAs... we get to find out then what the procedure is. These RMAs are part of the 'billion' dollars (recall and lost sales) Intel is spending/losing due to this problem.

stavro510

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

I just got an e-mail from Newegg. They are now receiving the R3 replacements and shipping them soon. Options are:

A. Regular RMA
Regular RMAs are shipped once we receive your original unit. Once we receive your e-mail, we will create an RMA and send you a free return shipping label. Once we receive the original item from you, Newegg will ship the replacement to the original shipping address.

B. Advanced RMA
Advanced RMAs allow us to ship the replacement to you promptly and gives you 30 days to return the original unit. Once we receive your e-mail, a Customer Service Representative will contact you within 2 to 3 business days to process your RMA. Advanced RMAs require a Credit Card authorization: in the event we do not receive the defective replacement within 30 days from the date the replacement is shipped, the credit card you provide on the phone will be charged in the amount of the product retail price. Please include the best phone number to reach you at in your email but do NOT include your credit card information.

C. Not Interested
If you are not interested in a replacement, or have initiated a replacement with the manufacturer, you can either reply with "C" or "Not Interested" in the subject line, or simply disregard this email.

I went with the Advanced, which is great. Cross-shipping! For free! Gotta love newegg.