No video display if htpc boots with receiver and tv OFF

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
Ok here is my situation:

I have an HTPC with NO graphic card. I use onboard's HDMI output. The HTPC is linked through HDMI to my Onkyo home theater receiver and then from the receiver it output to my HDTV

My problem is that i absolutly need to power on my htpc AFTER i open my receiver and my TV, or else it seems that the motherboard isn't outputting video. If my receiver and HDTV is turned off, it doesnt detect any monitor or tv so it boots without outputting video and the TV will be blue.
It is really just a video problem, since i can still access my computer remotly with VNC server after it boots.

If i open my receiver and my TV and then after that i turn on my HTPC, then everything will work fine.

I checked everywhere in the BIOS, all i found is an option called "Init Display First"
Description is "If more than one display device are installed on the system, this item selects the primary display"

Options are PCI Slot, Onboard, PEG or PEG1. I set it to Onboard since i don't have any graphic card

note: i don't want to buy any video card even if it could solve my problem, i bought the new AMD A6 APU with onboard video to avoid having to buy a graphic card... it's an HTPC i want minimum heat

My motherboard is A75M-D2H and i'm on Windows XP

cswimmer

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I am having a similar issue the display is not being detected unless the receiver ( Yamaha YMC-500BL NeoHD ) and LG HDTV is powered on and set to the pc input before the computer is powered on. Even when I switch inputs with the computer powered on. It will not detect the display again when switching back, unless i unplug and plug the cable back in. The MB is a MSI 880GMA-E45 .. I also am trying to avoid purchasing a Video card -- Running Catalyst 11.9 and Windows 7 Ultimate x64

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I had the same problem, and found an answer on here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=111759I

It didn't resolve the problem completely, but I was able to get everything to work 100% by plugging the HDMI out from my PC to my receiver, and DVI out to a second monitor. At first it detected the DVI as the primary, but after hitting "Detect" it allowed me to set the TV as the primary video source and audio worked as well.

Hope this helps

sensij

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

I'm a couple years behind you, but have run into the same problem. Did you ever find a workaround? I might be able to just leave my receiver on, but would rather have it off when not actively in use.

Thanks