BIOS settings are lost when power supply is off

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
I have an old Pentium4 computer that i bought many many many years ago... it' still working and i am using it as a NAS. Only problem is that the BIOS doesnt save the settings when the computer is unplugged. If i just turn the computer off it's ok, but as soon as i turn off the power supply or unplug the power cable, then the next time i will open my computer it will have forgotten all bios settings. I know it because when settings are lost it shows the BIOS as soon as i turn the computer on, and it ask me to set the "CPU Internal frequency" and i have to desactivate floppy disk in BIOS.

The way it looks i think there must be a battery to save these settings when power supply is off, and the battery must be dead. Is there a way to easily replace this battery and what does it looks like ? How to know what kind of battery i need to buy ?

Thanks !

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
I had an old motherboard so i just took the CR2032 out of it and put it on my P4 motherboard.... But the problem is still here :(
I'll try to get another CR2032 battery from a dead motherboard to see if another one would work

suteck

Distinguished
I would buy a new battery and not try using batteries coming out of old junked computers. No telling what power drain they were under while the "dead" motherboard(s) sat around collecting moister and static discharges. Bring the original to a Walmart or any jewelry store and they can match it up for only about $2.