System reboots/wont post

Michcarr

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Still working on an interesting problem.

Currently the system will restart 2-15 times in a row before posting properly and getting into windows 7. Initially I couldn't even install windows. While expanding windows files at 0% the system would always restart. I solved this by using an external dvd drive. While using the external drive it would install.

Once the system does post and gets into windows it will run fine while doing low intensity processes. However, if I try to use the internal dvd to install software it will restart instantly. If I use the external dvd to install software it will get midway through the install before restarting. The system is much more stable when using the USB attached dvd drive.

So far I have put in a different motherboard, tried different gfx cards, tried each stick of ram individually. When I run memtest it stops at 7% and will not continue. I have tried two different dvd drives as well as different connections and ports. CPU temp has been at 30 C idle. After a restart the CPU temp is not elevated.

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

System specs:

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX950-D-B 950W (Yes I know I should have went with a better PSU)

40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5

Solution
it should be clear then. If it's a bad PSU then RMA. The reason it blows up when you have and internal vs usb dvd drive is clear. Look at where these devices gett their power. USB draws power through the M/B and from the 24 pin connector. Where as the ineranal drive is drawing power directly from the PS via a 4 pin connector. They are running off of differenct connectors and I think differenct volt rails. If you can get your hands on a used but know good ps Plug it in and see what happens. could be that your 5 volt for your 4 pic connectors is toasted. The heavily damaged box is could be signs of the PSU getting dropped HARD in shipping wich as we know kills electronics. run to best buy by one of heir cheap antec earthwatss performe the...

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Even though you've swapped M/B try this anyway it's qucik and easy. Touch the south bridge and north bridge heat sink with your fingers when it's locked up. It should be Fairly warm to the touch. IF you can't keep you finger on it cause it's burning hot then it's a bad board. Also put a big ass desk fan blowing directly into the open case. if it magicly works consitantly with that then there is a heat issue.

Have you tried running memtest witth the bare minimum periphias connected? AKA disconet HDD all device but keyboad all video card and use onboad. (only if you have onboad) If memtest freezes with only a skeleton of a set up and youve replaced the M/B already then try an old set of ram somthing cheap that is compatable. Memtest locking up could still be bad ram. Remeber memtest runs IN MEMORMY if ram is bad then memtest may not alwasy run stably.

a common thing i've noticed with gigabyte boards. (My favorite brand) is they will set the clock multiplyer of the cpu wrong. It is usualy set low. This can mess up gigabytes automatic turbo bust feature. (Not the same the as your cpus built in turbo boost) this is on by default set it to standard. AND check to see that C.I.A is OFF this is an auto overclock feature that can cause crashing if set wrong. Both these can be found in the bios under the intelligent overclocking menu

Michcarr

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
The CPU temp is when idle in BIOS. The system isn't locking up, but rather restarting. I think that this is a PSU or RAM issue. It would seem that there is an issue with the RAM not getting enough voltage.

Another interesting detail is that the PSU packaging was very damaged, box crumpled, but the PSU seemed to be unharmed. Should have RMA'd it at the start. I also don't understand why the computer will restart when using the internal DVD but will work when using a USB external.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
it should be clear then. If it's a bad PSU then RMA. The reason it blows up when you have and internal vs usb dvd drive is clear. Look at where these devices gett their power. USB draws power through the M/B and from the 24 pin connector. Where as the ineranal drive is drawing power directly from the PS via a 4 pin connector. They are running off of differenct connectors and I think differenct volt rails. If you can get your hands on a used but know good ps Plug it in and see what happens. could be that your 5 volt for your 4 pic connectors is toasted. The heavily damaged box is could be signs of the PSU getting dropped HARD in shipping wich as we know kills electronics. run to best buy by one of heir cheap antec earthwatss performe the ttest and then return it the same day with some lame excuse or keep it if you are happy with the price they offer.

Solution