Sign in with
Your question

New System Build, Buy Now or Wait ?

Last response: in Systems
November 6, 2010 5:21:32 AM

Hi,
I'd like to change my system soon, but i've been really out of touch with whats going on in the industry, are there new technologies coming out which would make my purchase obsolete too soon or overpriced... ??

basically im looking to spend between 1800 and 2200, when would be the best time to buy ? ( i'd be willing to wait up to 6 months maybe ? )

Thanks !

More about : system build buy wait

a b B Homebuilt system
November 6, 2010 5:32:00 AM

This would really depend on what u use the machine for :p 

Gaming? Forget about waiting as these aren't even quad core optimised and the Rana X3 is about as bang for buck for a gaming rig if u dun do anything else

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bo...
Quote:
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

Encode/Render or any mission critical/CPU intensive task where time = $$ then awaiting Sandy Bridge/Bulldozer sounds like a plan ^^
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 6, 2010 6:10:00 AM

Wait for Sandy Bridge. Faster cores, more work per cycle, still means a lot. More important in non-threaded applications . . . like games.

If SB doesn't prove to give better performance for your apps, then the price of whatever you do buy will be a bit lower.

Seems a win-win. Early 1Q, 2011 is the launch.
m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2010 6:17:52 AM

Yeah i would definetly wait because the new ATI 69XX's are coming out soon hopefuly and like twoboxer said the new sandy bridge which will boost all intel gaming performance

i acctually just built my new system a few months ago and im kinda bummed cause the new cards are cming out and i have a 5870 now
m
l
November 6, 2010 2:57:29 PM

yes this is for a gaming rig.
I hadnt decided yet if i was going with AMD or Intel for the CPU / AMD or Nvidia for gpu, but according what you guys are saying, Intel cpu + AMD GPU would be best if I wait for these new products ?

One thing to consider is that i'd like the best bang for the buck, not necessarely the most high end product ( due to my budget ) , so im hoping that this new generation of product will come in different flavors ( price ranges ).

m
l
November 6, 2010 3:41:25 PM

as far as prices go they will be close to the same though with teh current 6xxx cards they are a little cheaper then the Nvidia's they are built to compete with and perform about as well.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 6, 2010 6:03:52 PM

The "entry price" for an i5 750, GTX 460 (or HD 6850), 4GB memory, 1TB HD, $70 case is roughly $850. At 1920x1200(or 1080) that system will currently outperform any comparably equipped AMD-cpu system in gaming.

From that budget point on, gaming gains cost more per "unit" than when under that budget level. If you go to gaming at 2560 res, you can spend a boatload and I'm not sure there's enough gear around yet to guarantee 30FPS minimum frame rates.

For your budget you can get an outstanding single-vid card 1920 gaming rig, a case that will help keep things cool (inside the case) and quiet, and the psu/mobo needed to allow you to pop in a second vid card if/when future needs demand. And put some money back in your pocket lol.

If you'd like to see a configuration based on current hardware, ask. But I'd advise you to wait for Sandy Bridge.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 6, 2010 8:28:41 PM

Uh, you could use the same graphics and a cheaper AMD CPU/mobo for overall cheaper system or more expensive graphics so I really don't see how. And this has been said alot.

It depends on how old your current system is also. I'm not sure I'd be able to wait if I had a PIII, then again what's another 6 months or so.
m
l
November 6, 2010 9:15:32 PM

My current system is about 3-4 years old, I usually change my computers every 4 years and allow myself 1 upgrade in between each new rig purchase. Current CPU is a Intel Core2 6400 2.13GHz that I OC at 2.40GHz, I can go up to 2.8Ghz but stability becomes an issue, it wouldnt be that bad if it was only for gaming, but i cant afford to have my computer crash when im working in photoshop as I often forget to save and then I have to RAGE about lost hours of work.

I have 4GB Ram and Nvidia GeForce 9600GT ...

I added that vid card and some ram a about 1 year and a half ago.

If I can save enough money on the rig then I'd buy another monitor, leds are getting cheaper but I cant find any leds with vesa holes in the back which is really stupid from the manufacturer not to follow the standards... all they want is advertise the thinest monitors but that sucks for everyone who bought montior arms...

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 6, 2010 9:46:22 PM

You are absolutely correct.

However, I'll stick by exactly what I said. You can question whether you need to spend $850, but once you are there there's no AMD-cpu, COMPARABLY EQUIPPED, that is going to outgame the i5 750.

Which does bring up the point batuchka makes - unless the OP is heavy into multi-threaded apps or gaming, there's no need to spend $1800-$2200.

But in either case, I'd go back to the other recommendation I made. Yes, there is new tech coming. The OP should wait for the Sandy Bridge launch since he is amenable to waiting, and since he is looking to make a sizable investment.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 7, 2010 4:22:45 AM

louno said:
yes this is for a gaming rig.
I hadnt decided yet if i was going with AMD or Intel for the CPU / AMD or Nvidia for gpu, but according what you guys are saying, Intel cpu + AMD GPU would be best if I wait for these new products ?

One thing to consider is that i'd like the best bang for the buck, not necessarely the most high end product ( due to my budget ) , so im hoping that this new generation of product will come in different flavors ( price ranges ).

Rather than take our word for it:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-x4-955,2278-...
Toms has a 2008/2009 review which includes even Yorkfield/Deneb/Heka/Nehalem
The Heka 720BE is looking godly there and its higher clocked 740BE OEM successor is like $89 on Egg?

Have a look where the bottleneck gets passed to once someone actually uses real world high end gaming settings i.e at least 1920 X 1080 with AA/AF :lol:  The findings will clearly shown what the growing literature since then are saying: GPU >>> CPU unless u building a render/encode machine

Toms has stressed over several months in their "Best gaming CPU for the money" monthly articles that $200 for a chip for a gaming rig is "Past The Point Of Reason"
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overcloc...
m
l
November 7, 2010 3:10:12 PM

Hi Batuchka,
I understand GPUs are more important for gaming, BUT I do a lot of photoshop ( im a graphic designer ) also and I tend to be a very hardcore "multi-tasking" person... meaning that my taskbar is always full of apps and my browser always has 20 tabs open....

That being said, in anycase, even if the CPU is not really a big issue for gaming, since there is a new generation coming out it would still be wiser to wait because :
1. Some of the new generation cpu might fit in my budget, im guessing they will release a few cpu within a wide price range.
2. Even if I dont end up getting a Sandy Bridge CPU, their release will probably cause a price drop on all current generation cpus.

Ill make sure to select a CPU within the 200$ limit though, thats a good guideline to keep in mind.

Thanks
m
l
!