First custom computer

Blue Axe

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
I have been on the cyber power site.
I have some questions about adding "devices".

How do I tell how many devices I am allowed to add?

Azza Hurrican 2000 Full Tower Gaming Case with 4 Hot Swappable HDD Cage & (4) 230MM Fans

proposed devices :
i7-950
2x Nvidia GTX 460 2Gb 16x PCIe Video cards
80 Gb SSD drive
2x 1Tb Sata-lll Raid 0 Hard drives
1 24x DVD
1 12x blue ray player
· MOTHERBOARD: * (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
Power supply = 1200 W
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Desired add ons --- Please Comment on anything you have an opinion

Creative Labs SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 24-BIT PCI Sound Card

Killer™ 2100 - Gigabit Maximum Network Performance Online Gaming Network Interface Card

Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: Avermedia AVerTV Bravo Hybrid (ATSC/ClearQAM/NTSC) PCIE Media Center TV Tuner

If there is not "room" for all of this, I shall need know how much room there is?

Solution
How much room for what? PCI expansions? Check the motherboard slots. Make sure none of them are getting covered by double size gpu's
If you meant dvd/cd drives or hdd/ssd, check how many hdd bays you have ect..in the specs for your case.

Just a couple notes though:

-Have you considered building your own computer? Its usually several hundred dollars cheaper and will leave you with more bang for your buck.

-1200w psu is way too much for your computer. Save some money and get a good quality 750w one.

-id get right of the "performance network card", im guessing its an extra $100? It makes almost no difference than the one built in your mobo. It maybe takes up a couple milliseconds off of ping? not worth it at all.

-I wouldnt really...

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
How much room for what? PCI expansions? Check the motherboard slots. Make sure none of them are getting covered by double size gpu's
If you meant dvd/cd drives or hdd/ssd, check how many hdd bays you have ect..in the specs for your case.

Just a couple notes though:

-Have you considered building your own computer? Its usually several hundred dollars cheaper and will leave you with more bang for your buck.

-1200w psu is way too much for your computer. Save some money and get a good quality 750w one.

-id get right of the "performance network card", im guessing its an extra $100? It makes almost no difference than the one built in your mobo. It maybe takes up a couple milliseconds off of ping? not worth it at all.

-I wouldnt really bother with a sound card either. Your mobo has a built in highdef 7.1 audio.

-although you dont have it listed, dont get more than 6gb of memory. 6gb @ 1600mhz will be perfect for a gaming rig like this.

Solution

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
bassically bavman said it all, but also note that custom built PCs are ussually worse quality than homebuilt PCs they ussually cheap out on things like the mobo, case, power supplies(this is dangerous as faulty PSUs can destroy your system) and ram.

Yet despite all this building your own computer with quality parts would still be cheaper.

And about the sound card. Sound cards are tied to the rest of your audio system. If it's good it will go to waste runnin of an onbaord chip and vice versa. So what speakers/headphones do you have?

1) you'll save between $200 and $500 building this yourself. Its not hard!

2) you don't need a sound card. The sound on-board is just fine unless you are a professional music editor/creator.

3) You don't need the network card either. It will make no real difference with the small amount of use a network card has in a modern CPU. The on-motherboard card consumes less than 0.001% of the slowest Sempron processor's time.

The 3-way SLI motherboard is probably overkill

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Bassically all x58 motherboards are good so don't worry about that. If you are seriously into tweaking and overclocking then you'd probably want something a little higher end, but I just mentioned it because people are saying it's overkill while it's one of the cheapest x58 motherboards ^^.

Blue Axe

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

I have seen a lot of advice - to supply adequate power and a quality PS - this looked like good quality, and I had advice to go to at least 950W (so I thought, I would make sure...it was not underpowered)

Ok - no network card

I am "nervous" not to have a dedicated sound card - lol

Yes 6Gb of memory, thanks --- It seems either 6 or 12 and nothing in between? --- I thought "6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair Dominator)"

I do wish to "build one" "sometime", I need to get this one soon, not enough time for the research?

Blue Axe

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

Cambridge 4 point surround (probably bought in 2000)
Need new headphones --- any advice? -lol-

Blue Axe

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

the motherboard (GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 ) got very good reviews, It is my preference to NOT go marginal, but rather not push components past 80% of their capacity...

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

You don't really need any more research.Just read the short guide here on toms. Building a computer is fairly simple some of my friends succeeded easily and trust me they know far from what they should. If they can do it, you sure as hell can too.

And seriously people stop this hype about "you don't need a sound card, onbord is good enough" That's exactly like saying "You don't need a graphics card onboard is good enough" which is absurd.

An audio system ussually consists of three main parts: Digital to analogue converter, amplifier and the drivers(speakers) themselves.

Very comparable to per say a computer system with: CPU, RAM and GPU.

In both cases if one of them is not good enough for the others it will bottleneck and drag the other parts down(however good they are) to it's own level. Pairing a good 100-200usd pair of headphones with an onboard sound chip(and the built-in ampilifier it has) is like pairing a intel i7 980x with a 8400gs and 1gb of ram for gaming. I think you get the picture.

Blue Axe

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

the intel got very good reviews ...

would you recommend the sandforce over the Intel?

say - this product "80GB Corsair Force 80 Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)"
over the Intell x-25m?

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
And as for some good headphones I'm not exactly an audiophile I just like to listen to some good quality audio. If you want some help go to http://www.head-fi.org/ and in the forums just post your budget and usage and they'll try give you the best combination of sound card/amplifier(for your budget probably intergrated)/headphones.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

The new intel x - 25m is good but the first generation ones blow compared to any modern SSDs. I'm not sure which whatever you want to buy from uses but I fear sp12 is right.

I'd suggest the Mushkin Callisto or the G.Skill Phoenix Pro, which are inexpensive versions of the Sandforce 1200