Weather fried mom and dad's desktop

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
so my parents were just fine with their six year old prebuilt from bestbuy, but a recent storm knocked the power out and when it came back on, dead tower. my dad lives on ebay, so they've been going down to the library for the last week to use their computers. they said they have a budget of $1,000 because they don't need to game or anything high tech, but they don't want to get something old either. so...i went on newegg and started putting together a list of parts. i don't have a gpu on here, but i don't think they've ever had descrete graphics before and have never needed it. the machine is mostly for using the internet. what i put together is basically a low key system like we'd go buy at bestbuy again, but i feel like the parts are all better than they'd get at a box store (the antec 900, the velociraptor etc.)

thoughts? compatibility? experiences with any of these parts?

i'm hoping maybe we won't have to wait six years to replace their computer again, but if i put it together this one, they'll be more comfortable (and so will i) with opening it up and changing the parts in a few years.

thanks for any thoughts.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=16014786

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
wishlist is indeed inaccesible but anyways.

If they don't use any difficult apps I'd go something like this

4gb of ram: 70
i5 760: 200
good h55 mobo: 100-150
1tb(or however much they need) f3: 80
60-120gb ssd:150-300 this one is fast and cheap http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227590&cm_re=vertex_2_120gb-_-20-227-590-_-Product
case: whatever they like: 60-100
any dvd drive: 20
400-550w modular psu: 60

That's around 800 if you get the irght combos you can bring it down quite a bit. ANd with that SSD you'll parents will know what a fast computer really is.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
agree on the budget. maybe i'll look into amd, i just haven't built with them in quite a while. i know that would be a cheaper route. how did you show the list of parts? i figured my list wouldn't show up at it was saved under my password.

thanks.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

Yes that is true for i7, but you have a i5 build which runs off of dual channel. Not to mention the Velociraptor is pointless IMO when you can get a spinpoint that runs off of 500gb platters which is much cheaper but no noticeable difference.If you really want to see a boost in performance go for an SSD. Oh and there is no point in buying the full version of Win7 when you can get the oem for 99$

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
thanks for the info on the oem. i couldn't remember about that. i'll get the same stuff as the full version minus some directions? any other difference?

if i get the wireless router mentioned is there any reason that won't work with my parents old laptop? they have that running and i could get them back online that way until i put a build together.

completely fine with something other than a velociraptor, as long as it's reliable. when i put my last build together i went through three seagate drives in a matter of months. they were complete crap. never had an ounce of trouble with the velociraptor, so i was basically factoring in the extra cost for the missing headache, not the speed so much.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
The OEM you don't get support and its tied directly to the motherboard (It is only supposed to be for 1 computer) but if you need you can call microsoft and say that your motherboard fried and they will most likely let you switch it over.

I'm not that keen on wireless internet, I think that N is backwards compatible with G but not 100%.

I would recommend this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

wortwortwort

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I would recommend something like this:

Intel i5 661 ($210)

Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3 ($140)

Corsair XMS3 4GB ($80)

Antec 300 ($60)

Antec Earthwatts 500W ($70)
The Corsair 750TX is overkill. I have that PSU in my i5 750 overclocked to 3.6GHz and Radeon 5870 build. I really doubt that you would be overclocking a computer that is mostly used for internet.

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1GB ($75)

Generic DVD burner ($26)

Windows 7 OEM ($100)

Optional:
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 90GB ($200)
This will improve boot times and loading of programs by quite a bit. It's up to you if you are willing to pay extra.

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212+ ($26)
I listed this as optional, but just get it. It's $25 and will improve the CPU temperatures greatly.

This computer might be overkill if all it is used for is internet...

With the 2 optional items, it comes to $997

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
didn't mean to ignore you, i just want some info on how you picked out the triple core and what the new technology is for amd chips etc. i haven't followed amd for years. i don't know how to make any decision on their chips and i don't want to purchase a build solely on your suggestion, sorry.

i'm fairly comfortable with core i-5 and p55, i just have no idea what that translates to in amd land.

thanks.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Here is a direct comparison between the cpu zoot mentioned and the intel http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/intel_core_i5_661/5.html

BTW: zoot made some great suggestions His build + the SSD would be great for your parents(I know you might think the SSD is overkill for your parents, but SSDs are good for any usage. Boot times, load times, shut down times everything will be more than twice as fast.(should boot into win7 in 20secs which is blazing fast). The overal lag of the pc will also be reduced greatly. Trust me if any pc component will make them happy it will surely be an ssd.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
again, no offense intended zoot. i appreciate the help, just trying to educate myself along the way too.

just purchased the router so i can perhaps get my parents connected back to the net with their old laptop while i figure out a build.

thinking about the ssd.

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Dear mr. Saul Hudson oh i mean William Axl Rose
Amd has equivalent chips to an i5 amd also has really cheap 6 cores its the same stuff for ebaying computer just pick blue or black box less green or more ego