Failing hard drive?

sking

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I had a virus today called the money pak ransom virus. It demanded $300. I did a system restore and it fixed the problem though I have run Malwarebytes. It found 44 things but I don't think they were related to this virus. How can I be sure it is gone?

Also, in restoring to a previous time, the registry has become corrupted on my other drive. (2 drive system) I can't get into windows on it now. I tried running startup repair from a windwos 7 cd and also atttempted doing a restore on it. The restore working ONE TIME, and I was able to get into windows, however as soon as I logged out, I could not reboot into this drive! It is just insane. Why didn't the change hold? After this happened I tried running the setup repaid again, and nothing is working now. I keep getting the Corrput registry 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1 Locale ID 1033

I have googled this and I don't know what to do other than reinstall windows. Could this be as a result of a failing hard drive? It seems to me this is not the case, because both drives were working fine for 2 days. I opening this stupid file attachment in an email I received, then up pops the webpage stating FBI has shut down your PC... Pay us $300. There are plenty of videos on how to fix this over at youtube. How do I fix this corrupt registry?

Restore points does not always work for viruses. You will probably end up having to format the drive and reinstall windows.