CD Ejection problem DELL 600m

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 21, 2005 2:18:21 AM

Does nay body else have this prob that their DVD/CD burner player
sometimes just doesnt eject. I try all sort of things like pressing the
button on the side or issuing software eject commands (and even the
Fn-F10 combo on the keyboard). This usually happens when one CD is
already inthere and the prob requires that to be replaced with a new
one. I have to then use the over ride switch by inserting a pin and
making it eject.. what is wrong?

Thanks Affan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 21, 2005 1:35:10 PM

> Does nay body else have this prob that their DVD/CD burner player
> sometimes just doesnt eject. I try all sort of things like pressing
the

What operating system? Linux, for instance, locks the CD tray when a
disk is mounted, so you can't physically eject without first
unmounting.

Failing an answer in that category, damaged disks sometimes "crash" the
drive firmware and the drive usually requires a hard reset
(suspend-resume or power cycle) before you can eject. Sometimes the
same thing can occur if problems happen during burning.
January 21, 2005 9:07:24 PM

I am using Windows XP.. and yeah its similar to what Joe is saying.. is
there any official DELL response?
a b D Laptop
January 21, 2005 11:02:09 PM

"Affan" <affanahmed@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does nay body else have this prob that their DVD/CD burner player
> sometimes just doesnt eject. I try all sort of things like pressing the
> button on the side or issuing software eject commands (and even the
> Fn-F10 combo on the keyboard). This usually happens when one CD is
> already inthere and the prob requires that to be replaced with a new
> one. I have to then use the over ride switch by inserting a pin and
> making it eject.. what is wrong?
>

> Thanks Affan

My 600m does that, too (actually I have 2). I think what happens is when
you insert a CD, a window comes up. It might be a window asking you what
you want to do, or it might be a Windows Explorer window, or a window for
your burning software, etc. As long as you keep that window open, you're
OK. But sometimes, when you close the window and THEN want to eject the CD,
it won't. It's probably got to do with some option on what default software
runs when you insert the CD--but I haven't been able to chase it down,
either.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 22, 2005 11:31:04 AM

I guess some setting should be enabled in the BIOS .

koala wrote:
> Affan wrote:
> > I am using Windows XP.. and yeah its similar to what Joe is
saying..
> > is there any official DELL response?
>
> Disable or upgrade the Sonic Record software - DLA in particular -
You might
> just remove it from run key in registry
> It is known bug - and there is a upgrader on Dell downloads - and a
lot of
> info on Dell's forums.
> I had this on I8600 - probably the same in I600m.
>
> Koala
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 22, 2005 5:28:05 PM

Affan wrote:
> I am using Windows XP.. and yeah its similar to what Joe is saying..
> is there any official DELL response?

Disable or upgrade the Sonic Record software - DLA in particular - You might
just remove it from run key in registry
It is known bug - and there is a upgrader on Dell downloads - and a lot of
info on Dell's forums.
I had this on I8600 - probably the same in I600m.

Koala
February 12, 2005 5:17:50 PM

thanks koala.. that is the prob..
!