More Brooklyn Camera Dealer Store Front Pictures

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 12, 2005 10:46:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc (More info?)

I was able to get out today and take a few more pictures. I also had a
large bunch from a couple weeks ago that I had not yet put up. Many of
these came from searching on Brooklyn at the nytimes.cnet.com web site. One
came from the dealer e-mailing me to tell me I had an old picture, and to
come take them at their new location. And some were from tips e-mailed in.
Please keep these e-mail tips coming in. Especially if you discover a new
web site associated with an existing picture. A workable e-mail link is at
the bottom of the web page.

All pictures can be found at: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

As always this is my only announcement of these new pictures. Fell free to
pass on this annoucement to other forums.

The new pictures are mixed in alphabetically by assumed business name. So
here is a summary of the new ones:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0108.htm
Apple Electronics, d.b.a. AppleElectronics.com and AppleCellular.com
259 Avenue X
New location.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0109.htm
bestdigitalonline.com, paylessdigital.com and ubdigital.com. Probably also
d.b.a. as allstarcamera.com.
1151 McDonald Ave.
Address from cnet and bestdigitalonline.com web site. ubdigital.com from
http://www.pricescan.com/vendors/ubdigital.asp. Formerly located at 4718
18th Ave according to
http://www.price.com/vendor_review_display.html?vid=-21...

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0110.htm
bestdigitalonline.com and paylessdigital.com
1151 McDonald Ave.
Close up of entrance.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0111.htm
Big On Digital, d.b.a. bigondigi.com
1641 McDonald Ave.
A newer picture, now with an awning and sign.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0112.htm
Blue Switch Digital Inc., d.b.a. blueswitchdigital.com
673 Coney Island Ave.
Close up of doors.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0113.htm
Buzz 4 Digital, d.b.a. buzz4digital.com
2005 Homecrest Ave.
No address at web site. Address from cnet. The whois address (which I took)
is also a home. No superpages reverse lookup on phone number.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0114.htm
eStore of N.Y. Inc., d.b.a. PlasmaHouse.com
1845 Coney Island Avenue
New location. There were people working behind the shutters. New address
confirmed by phone. See next picture for former location.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0115.htm
eStore of N.Y. Inc., d.b.a. PlasmaHouse.com
6512 Bay Parkway
This is the address on the web site and whois. But there was a fire there
in about October 2004. Now located at 1845 Coney Island Avenue. See prior
picture.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0116.htm
A. Hefco Technologies, d.b.a. HypeAudio.com
1502 Kings Highway
Address from cnet. Web site has above address as mail address, with 1643
McDonald Ave as Brooklyn pickup facility.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0117.htm
NextPlace, Inc., d.b.a. PlasmaKings.com
724 Avenue P
Address from cnet.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0118.htm
NextPlace, Inc., d.b.a. PlasmaKings.com
6735 Ridge Blvd.
Address from whois. (I don't normally put whois addresses up, expect here I
couldn't find another business looking address.)

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0119.htm
PCANDPlasma.com
1915 E. 8th St.
Address from web site, pricescan, and cnet. No address in whois.
718 fax number used to be us1digital.com's.
212 fax number also belongs to us1camera.com

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0120.htm
PriceMad.com
1751 E 10th St.
Address from cnet.nytimes.com. No address at web site. Feb 2004 web site
had same zip code as above. Now web site just says New York, NY. The whois
address is also a Brooklyn home. A google on their 212 fax number finds
Barnetts Computer Warehouse, d.b.a. PCVideoOnline.com, 417 5th Ave.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0121.htm
PriceritePhoto.com
1274 49th Street
Address from web site.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0122.htm
Simon Cells, d.b.a. simoncells.com
1701 Utica Ave.
The only cameras they sell are built into cell phones.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0123.htm
SkyNet Communications, d.b.a. BestBuyPlasma.com
481 Kings Highway
Current location.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0124.htm
SkyNet Communications, d.b.a. BestBuyPlasma.com
6400 18th Avenue
Former location, but is still the address on cnet.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0125.htm
Stop 4 Camera Inc, d.b.a stop4camera.com, a.k.a. HowdyCamera.com
1809 Coney Island Ave.
This is the address on their web site, and is Howdy Camera's web and whois
address.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0126.htm
Stop 4 Camera Inc, d.b.a stop4camera.com
4303 12th Ave.
Address from whois and BBB. Web site has 1809 Coney Island Ave.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0127.htm
Stop 4 Camera Inc, d.b.a stop4camera.com
4303 12th Ave.
Close up of door. These seem to be same people as www.XeStore.us, now out
of business. XeStore's fax was: 718-836-1344

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0128.htm
The Zone, d.b.a. thezoneny.com
2284 Flatbush Ave.
New location. Note streamers still up.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:46:17 PM

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
> I was able to get out today and take a few more pictures. I also had a
> large bunch from a couple weeks ago that I had not yet put up. Many of
> these came from searching on Brooklyn at the nytimes.cnet.com web site.
One
> came from the dealer e-mailing me to tell me I had an old picture, and to
> come take them at their new location. And some were from tips e-mailed in.
> Please keep these e-mail tips coming in. Especially if you discover a new
> web site associated with an existing picture. A workable e-mail link is at
> the bottom of the web page.

Wow.
I know most of these places are "trashy"...but this one really takes the
cake:
-----------------
http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0119.htm
PCANDPlasma.com
1915 E. 8th St.
Address from web site, pricescan, and cnet. No address in whois.
718 fax number used to be us1digital.com's.
212 fax number also belongs to us1camera.com
-----------------

Amazing.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:59:47 AM

On 12 Jan 2005, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>Wow.
>I know most of these places are "trashy"...but this one really takes the
>cake:
>-----------------
>http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0119.htm
>PCANDPlasma.com
>1915 E. 8th St.
>Address from web site, pricescan, and cnet. No address in whois.

Yea. There seemed to be some construction work going on. A fellow came out
and relaxed on the chair on the porch. No business was taking place there
when I visited a few weeks ago. I've learned that these people often don't
update their address. Take for example this one:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0115.htm
eStore of N.Y. Inc., d.b.a. PlasmaHouse.com
6512 Bay Parkway
This is the address on the web site and whois. But there was a fire there
in about October 2004.

Now when I phoned them and said I knew there had been a fire and where were
they now he told me, and said the fire was three months ago. Now three
months should be enough time to update a web site. Or would they rather we
not really know their location? What one should do is call these
PCANDPlasma people and find out where they really are. It can't be worse.
Maybe someone can call them and say you saw this picture and you don't
believe it. By now most of these dealers know I'm out there taking their
picture.

Now I got all the pictures I've taken put up. But then when researching
these I found I can do a site search on dealtime.com for Brooklyn and
"Store Location". So I'm now working on a list of more places to take
pictures of. Some of the places don't sell cameras, and I've not decided
how far from digital cameras I want to stray. I certainly don't want to get
beyond electronics. Keeping track of all these people is a lot of work.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
January 13, 2005 1:59:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc (More info?)

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> schrieb
> Now I got all the pictures I've taken put up. But then when researching
> these I found I can do a site search on dealtime.com for Brooklyn and
> "Store Location". So I'm now working on a list of more places to take
> pictures of. Some of the places don't sell cameras, and I've not decided
> how far from digital cameras I want to stray. I certainly don't want to
> get
> beyond electronics. Keeping track of all these people is a lot of work.

Great thing Don ;)
Isn't it risky (dangerous) to take these photos? Look at some fronts! I
wouldn't walk in if I were in town.
Can't believe I did some business with one of them some time ago.
Didn't liked the phone call to verify my order after completing the online
transaction. Guess its necessary for them to sell their accessories.

--
Regards
Jürgen

> On 12 Jan 2005, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net>
wrote:

> >Wow.
> >I know most of these places are "trashy"...but this one really takes the
> >cake:

-
> >-----------------
> >http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0119.htm
> >PCANDPlasma.com
> >1915 E. 8th St.
> >Address from web site, pricescan, and cnet. No address in whois.
>
> Yea. There seemed to be some construction work going on. A fellow came out
> and relaxed on the chair on the porch. No business was taking place there
> when I visited a few weeks ago. I've learned that these people often don't
> update their address. Take for example this one:
>
> http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0115.htm
> eStore of N.Y. Inc., d.b.a. PlasmaHouse.com
> 6512 Bay Parkway
> This is the address on the web site and whois. But there was a fire there
> in about October 2004.
>
> Now when I phoned them and said I knew there had been a fire and where
were
> they now he told me, and said the fire was three months ago. Now three
> months should be enough time to update a web site. Or would they rather we
> not really know their location? What one should do is call these
> PCANDPlasma people and find out where they really are. It can't be worse.
> Maybe someone can call them and say you saw this picture and you don't
> believe it. By now most of these dealers know I'm out there taking their
> picture.
>
> Now I got all the pictures I've taken put up. But then when researching
> these I found I can do a site search on dealtime.com for Brooklyn and
> "Store Location". So I'm now working on a list of more places to take
> pictures of. Some of the places don't sell cameras, and I've not decided
> how far from digital cameras I want to stray. I certainly don't want to
get
> beyond electronics. Keeping track of all these people is a lot of work.
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

At risk of sounding like an alarmist (which I ASSURE you I am not--as I'd
LOVE to participate in your sort of "service" and don't shy away from
thugs), but it SERIOUSLY surprises me that you have not met with real
threats, or out-right assault/battery or worse in this process...especially
considering that they know who you are, and what you do.
-Mark
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:58:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc (More info?)

On 12 Jan 2005, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>At risk of sounding like an alarmist (which I ASSURE you I am not--as I'd
>LOVE to participate in your sort of "service" and don't shy away from
>thugs), but it SERIOUSLY surprises me that you have not met with real
>threats, or out-right assault/battery or worse in this process...especially
>considering that they know who you are, and what you do.

But I have. I reported about one. See:
 onwiss@no_spam.com&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fas_q%3Dbrooklyn%26num%3D10%26scoring%3Dr%26hl%3Den%26ie%3DUTF-8%26as_epq%3D%26as_oq%3D%26as_eq%3D%26as_ugroup%3D%26as_usubject%3D%26as_uauthors%3Ddonwiss@no_spam.com%26lr%3D%26as_drrb%3Dq%26as_qdr%3D%26as_mind%3D1%26as_minm%3D1%26as_miny%3D1981%26as_maxd%3D13%26as_maxm%3D1%26as_maxy%3D2005%26safe%3Doff%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#5b0f8fbe67ab7e97" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital/b...

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
January 13, 2005 5:26:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc (More info?)

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
> I was able to get out today and take a few more pictures. I also had a
> large bunch from a couple weeks ago that I had not yet put up. Many of
> these came from searching on Brooklyn at the nytimes.cnet.com web site.
One
> came from the dealer e-mailing me to tell me I had an old picture, and to
> come take them at their new location. And some were from tips e-mailed in.
> Please keep these e-mail tips coming in. Especially if you discover a new
> web site associated with an existing picture. A workable e-mail link is at
> the bottom of the web page.
>
> All pictures can be found at: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

If it were possible it might be useful to list the length of time these
companies have been in business. Some business have started from humble
beginnings in meager facilities and progressed into thriving concerns.
I notice that on your home page you say "infamous Brooklyn storefronts", is
it fair to say that they are all infamous? I don't say these companies are
good or bad but appearances might not tell the whole story.
You might want to put a link to the BBB so people could see which businesses
are members or if there are any current complaints.
Here is the national BBB link: http://www.bbbonline.org/ You may already
know the website for the NY BBB.
Sign,
me
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:33:43 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:26:42 -0600, me <anonymous@_.com> wrote:

>If it were possible it might be useful to list the length of time these
>companies have been in business. Some business have started from humble
>beginnings in meager facilities and progressed into thriving concerns.

I'm going to pass on this. Enough time is involved with this page as it is.

>I notice that on your home page you say "infamous Brooklyn storefronts", is
>it fair to say that they are all infamous? I don't say these companies are
>good or bad but appearances might not tell the whole story.

I forgot about that. I probably should take it off. I don't want to pass
any judgement on the stores here. These days I simply put up all I can
find, and some of them have to be reliable. The page has become famous.

>You might want to put a link to the BBB so people could see which businesses
>are members or if there are any current complaints.
>Here is the national BBB link: http://www.bbbonline.org/ You may already
>know the website for the NY BBB.

I do have the NY site link around here. At one time one could deep link to
their review of a place. Then they changed into a database. I have often
used them to find out the address for a place that is trying real hard to
hide it. Though I didn't use it for this last batch.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:21:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc (More info?)

Hello Don:

While I find your pictures interesting, and in some cases, rather
amusing, I am not sure about the often surprised and shocked reactions
of others. What do they expect?

If you insist on buying something mail order, or over the net, from
vendors with the very lowest price, it isn't very surprising that
their operation is based out of some hole in the wall in a low rent
district. If you want Willoughby-Peerless facilities, expect to pay
Willoughby-Peerless prices.
January 14, 2005 11:34:44 AM

"R. Makul" <k1xv@arrl.net> wrote in message
> Hello Don:
>
> While I find your pictures interesting, and in some cases, rather
> amusing, I am not sure about the often surprised and shocked reactions
> of others. What do they expect?
>
> If you insist on buying something mail order, or over the net, from
> vendors with the very lowest price, it isn't very surprising that
> their operation is based out of some hole in the wall in a low rent
> district. If you want Willoughby-Peerless facilities, expect to pay
> Willoughby-Peerless prices.

Willoughby-Peerless:
http://www.manhattancc.org/marketplace/directory/compan...
For those like myself who don't live in NY.
;-)
me
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 1:21:40 PM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:21:14 -0500, R. Makul <k1xv@arrl.net> wrote:

>Hello Don:
>
>While I find your pictures interesting, and in some cases, rather
>amusing, I am not sure about the often surprised and shocked reactions
>of others. What do they expect?
>
>If you insist on buying something mail order, or over the net, from
>vendors with the very lowest price, it isn't very surprising that
>their operation is based out of some hole in the wall in a low rent
>district. If you want Willoughby-Peerless facilities, expect to pay
>Willoughby-Peerless prices.

Exactly. It's the low overhead the permits the lowest prices. Fancy
facilities and personal attention from salespeople cost money.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 7:47:50 PM

"Oliver Costich" <olc-caNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message

> Exactly. It's the low overhead the permits the lowest prices. Fancy
> facilities and personal attention from salespeople cost money.

You can sell things for even lower prices if you don't actually ship them.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:22:20 AM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:47:50 GMT, "Andrew Koenig" <ark@acm.org> wrote:

>"Oliver Costich" <olc-caNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>> Exactly. It's the low overhead the permits the lowest prices. Fancy
>> facilities and personal attention from salespeople cost money.
>
>You can sell things for even lower prices if you don't actually ship them.

I've dealt with several of the Brooklyn photo stores and never had a
problem. You have to ask questions and put up with some slime, but the
prices are excellent. I received a Nikon 5400 today that I ordered
Monday from Butterfly Photo. Was new with all accessories, and $180
(30%) less than local stores (and no tax). Of course Butterfly is
actually one of the better looking of the group.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:58:49 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Oliver Costich <olc-caNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote:

>I've dealt with several of the Brooklyn photo stores and never had a
>problem. You have to ask questions and put up with some slime, but the
>prices are excellent. I received a Nikon 5400 today that I ordered
>Monday from Butterfly Photo. Was new with all accessories, and $180
>(30%) less than local stores (and no tax). Of course Butterfly is
>actually one of the better looking of the group.

Did they phone to push accessories? What I saw in their inside was a
warehouse. But they could have people on phones elsewhere.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:59:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc (More info?)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:58:49 -0500, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Oliver Costich <olc-caNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>I've dealt with several of the Brooklyn photo stores and never had a
>>problem. You have to ask questions and put up with some slime, but the
>>prices are excellent. I received a Nikon 5400 today that I ordered
>>Monday from Butterfly Photo. Was new with all accessories, and $180
>>(30%) less than local stores (and no tax). Of course Butterfly is
>>actually one of the better looking of the group.
>
>Did they phone to push accessories? What I saw in their inside was a
>warehouse. But they could have people on phones elsewhere.

Yes they sent me an email to call them about my order, which seems to
be a Brooklyn trademark. But they were not aggressive or hard sell.
They simply asked if I had high speed compact flash cards and
batteries. When I said I did, they thanked me and said they would send
the camera out right away. They even sent it Fedex 2-day when I paid
for 3-day. It was the US model with all accessories.

A far cry from some horror stories about US warranties and accessories
not included. Their ratio of negative ratings is one of the better
ones for the Brooklyn group though hardly exemplary. On Pricegrabber,
you have to go $75 higher on a $420 item to get out of Brooklyn.

>Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:25:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc (More info?)

>>>I've dealt with several of the Brooklyn photo stores and never had a
>>>problem. You have to ask questions and put up with some slime, but the
>>>prices are excellent. I received a Nikon 5400 today that I ordered
>>>Monday from Butterfly Photo. Was new with all accessories, and $180
>>>(30%) less than local stores (and no tax). Of course Butterfly is
>>>actually one of the better looking of the group.
>>
>>Did they phone to push accessories? What I saw in their inside was a
>>warehouse. But they could have people on phones elsewhere.
>
>Yes they sent me an email to call them about my order, which seems to
>be a Brooklyn trademark. But they were not aggressive or hard sell.
>They simply asked if I had high speed compact flash cards and
>batteries. When I said I did, they thanked me and said they would send
>the camera out right away. They even sent it Fedex 2-day when I paid
>for 3-day. It was the US model with all accessories.
>
>A far cry from some horror stories about US warranties and accessories
>not included. Their ratio of negative ratings is one of the better
>ones for the Brooklyn group though hardly exemplary. On Pricegrabber,
>you have to go $75 higher on a $420 item to get out of Brooklyn.

I am with you and have purchased a Sony Camcorder, Sony Digital camera
and a ton of other items from Ebay sellers fron these New York Store
fronts and all of them had a ton of positive feedback and established
reputation. Hell of a lot less than the the local computer stores
with their high overhead and ignorant sales people. Over the last
five years I have had absolutly no problems. Then again, I do a lot
of reading and research prior to purchasing. I could care less if the
seller lives in a nut house.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 2:47:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc (More info?)

These pictures are very timely, I had been agonizing over whether to
purchase a Nikon D70 kit from PriceRitePhoto
(http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0121.htm) or from a local
store (http://www.samys.com) which was more expensive but that I know
is legit. Now that I see your pictures I'm even happier that I did.

On the other hand, in fairness, I should mention that our business has
ordered something like $50,000 in monitors from BestBuyPlasma, #123 on
your list (http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0123.htm), and
the service has always been fine. They have always delivered as
promised with no hassles and a minimum of the obligatory pressure about
buying the extended warranty. If I had seen your picture before
placing our first order I doubt if I would have ever purchased from
them. So I guess the moral of the story is, as someone else has
already pointed out, you can't have it both ways. If you expect rock
bottom prices and the appearance of Best Buy it ain't going to happen.

Thanks for the tour of Brooklyn... makes me glad I stick to Manhattan
when I'm in town.
!