New Computer/ Problem with display

funlicker

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I just built a new computer for my father. As far as I know I connected everything correctly, referring to a guide here on Tomshardware and manuals that came with the hardware.

Specs:
T790gxb3 Biostar mobo
XFX 5770
Anthlon II x3 Rana 445
500gb seagate
2x2gb DDR3 1333 Mushkin
24x Light on CD/DVD drive
Antec 650W psu
NZXT case

When I plug the pc into my tv via hdmi port on the gpu everything works. I tested and installed the OS. My dad is using an old flat panel SyncMaster960a monitor that connects with vga. When I try to connect the monitor to the mobo's VGA port I get no display. The monitor recognizes it's plugged in because it doesn't say "no signal cable" or w/e, but no display. I have no error messages, beeps, or wierd flashing light signals. And like I said everything runs smooth when I connect it via hdmi. Is there some missed connection or compatibility issue or missing driver?

Thoughts?

funlicker

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
can the onboard video be activated and the 5770 be activated at the same time? As far as I know it's activated because I didn't deactivate anything in bios. my concern is that if I connect the monitor via vga through the mobo will I be taking advantage of only the onboard graphics and not the graphics card? Do i have to connect the monitor via dvi or hdmi through the gpu to take advantage of it? My buddy said to just buy a dvi/vga adapter for now and that should work.... is this the way to go? or should i manage to get it to work with the graphics card and still connect it through vga in the mobo?

For once someone came here that had a buddy that gave good advice lol. You need to get a DVI to VGA adapter to use the graphics card and drive your Dad's monitor.

You aren't getting any display from the integrated graphics becuase your mobo is using the graphics card, not the iga.

You cannot use the graphics card through the iga.

funlicker

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I'm an idiot and missed the vga/dvi adapter that came with the gpu in the box x_x.... this is why i hadn't known whether or not i needed an adapter. Anyway I found the adapter in the box and everything works great! Thanks. Sorry for bothering you guys with stupid problems xD.