Asus P8H61-I running high RPM on chassis Fan

rubenhak

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Hi everybody,

I've build a WHS system using Asus P8H61-I mobo tied with i3-210T cpu. Having troubles with chassis fan. Its rinning very high RPMs and is extremely loud. Turning Q-Fan on chassis fan and changing mode among Silent-Standard-Turbo does not make much difference.

When turning on the system, it starts with around 1200 RPMs, and then keeps adding velocity to around 2000 RPMs which makes it too loud. It is 120mm chassis fan.

I put this mobo into Acer H340 motherboard but do not believe it makes any difference. Basically everything look very cool, running under 40C .

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ruben

P.S. Bios is updated to latest.

P.S.S. is there a way to control fan speed from windows? I tried SpeedFan but it was not able to control fan speed. It also fails to read fan speeds properly.

Considering you have a very cool running CPU anyways, do you reallly need the fan? If it's too loud and bothering you....I would just disconnect it as long as it doesn't impede on your performance.

I've had many issues with case fans not properly setting the correct speed (in bios, in windows...etc), or not working at all.

Are you sure the chassis fan is plugged into the chassis fan header on the motherboard?

One more thing - you have an ASUS board. Have you checked their website to see if there is a program for controlling your fan speed?

rubenhak

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I'm positive that it is connected to chassis fan, as the bios could property read its rotation speed. So far could not find any program that would work with this motherboard from asus web site. There used to be Asus Probe, which does not work with this mobo.

I really need this fan, as i upgraded my Acer H340, which is very small and hold 4 HDDs. Here is the pic:
small_acer_h340_whs_cebit_2551.jpg

rubenhak

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Solved by downloading Asus AI Suite and installing Asus FAN Xpert.
In order to install FAN Xpert, there is a special patch from asus you should install the patch first, reboot, install same patch second time, reboot and then install Fan Xpert.