Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge fault..Will switching to SATA III solve all issues?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2011 12:19:19 AM

Are the problems with the Intel SB chipset completely limited to the SATA II ports, and will switching my drives to SATA III affect performance at all?

I have 4 SATA III ports, more than I'll need probably ever on this machine and I see no need to go through the pain in the $%^%# of breaking it down..waiting..then rebuilding. So would I just be fine for good with drives on S3?
February 1, 2011 12:35:58 AM

SATAIII is not affected..

Another option is use a 3rd party SATA controller that you can plug in to your PCI/E controller.

No need to disassemble a working PC
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
February 1, 2011 12:37:38 AM

Yes. As Psycho stated, SATA II is the only affected area because its built into the chipset while SATA III connectors are a third party solution.

Strange though is I thought the SATA controller was on die but I guess there is a use for the chipset still.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2011 12:41:53 AM

Guess the only real negative would be trying to sell it later on though lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2011 2:04:24 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Yes. As Psycho stated, SATA II is the only affected area because its built into the chipset while SATA III connectors are a third party solution.

Strange though is I thought the SATA controller was on die but I guess there is a use for the chipset still.

There are two SATA3 ports on the chipset, but they aren't affected.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2011 4:00:55 AM

OK, once more... I have an Asus P8P67 Pro.

I have need for at least 4 SATA ports on my PC (one SSD, 2 HDD's, one Optical Drive). Now, the SSD and the one HDD will run on the 2 SATA III ports (as they are SATA III rated, obviously).

Does that mean after time there is a chance that my Optical Drive will start going offline due to this problem? And if so, how soon can I expect a replacement of my motherboard? I don't want to take that chance at all, I want for something working as I paid for it, and period.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2011 4:20:53 AM

Toxxyc said:

I have need for at least 4 SATA ports on my PC (one SSD, 2 HDD's, one Optical Drive). Now, the SSD and the one HDD will run on the 2 SATA III ports (as they are SATA III rated, obviously).

Does that mean after time there is a chance that my Optical Drive will start going offline due to this problem? And if so, how soon can I expect a replacement of my motherboard? I don't want to take that chance at all, I want for something working as I paid for it, and period.

I doubt it. That thought crossed my mind too and I switched my DVD-R over to S3 because I had my case popped already. Since and HDD is used far more than an optical drive, and transfers a great deal more data back and forth, I would assume that it would take far longer for that to happen with it (if ever)
m
l
February 1, 2011 7:57:45 AM

the whole sata bug is not that serious. the fault was found inside a test chamber under high temps, i have a feeling you sb folks have a decent airconditioning system, otherwise sell your sb and get yourself one.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2011 11:31:48 AM

Toxxyc said:

Doesn't the p8p67 pro have FOUR SATA III ports? I think that more or less covers your needs.

But yeah, I'd rather have the optical drive on the "bad" ports, as its used far less frequently. Worst case, you can fall back on ASUS' MARVEL controller, or buy a $20 PCI-E SATA controller. I see no reason to ditch your current build if its working fine,
m
l
!