Moving OS to SSD from HDD

th3_ory

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I just helped my friend install his SSD. He has all his stuff and Operating System in one hard drive. Is there a way to transfer the OS to the SSD and remove the one from the hard drive with out all data.

I was thinking of just copying all the things in the C: drive to another then formatting it then put the things back. Would this work? Is there another way?

HoboCannibaL

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
easiest way to do that, is to back up his current hdd files and do a clean install on the ssd, unplug the sata cable from the hdd when you do this to make sure the os has only one option to install and make sure you adjusted your bios settings from ide to ahci. restart and install the os to the ssd. the rest is the normal os installation procedures.

hope this helps {=^.^=}

th3_ory

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Is there a way just to simply move the OS to the SSD so that the OS settings are saved and no need to install the programs that are already there.

Could we like transfer a huge chunk of the C: drive to another HDD then do a system image. And we can just restore it on the SSD

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Yes you can, you can do it with HDD cloning softwares, which I never tried them, since I always do a fresh install. I don't know any good cloning softwares, so you will have to figure that out. But there are risks while cloning your drives. Make sure you back up your data before cloning, because there could be errors while in the process. But I will recommend a fresh install, it's not really recommend to clone your HDD to the SSD.

HoboCannibaL

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
thats if you are insisting on the cloning, but it is sooooo much easier to do a fresh install, and your ssd will thank you for it to :p just back up your files before you do either...thats the most important part ;)