carl815

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hello,
i have a gateway nv 52 laptop 4 gb ddr2 ram it seems to overheat and crash when using both sticks..the repair person removed one stick now reformated and running on 1 stick or 2 gb..he said all memory and slots pass but when 2 sticks of ram are used it runs too hot anyone hear of this or have a solution?

Add a reply
Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages Quick edit Edit this message
/

carl815

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
he said the sockets passed when tested and the ram passes when tested.. he put one stick in and said it ran fine but no telling how long, he said when both were in it ran to hot and it will crash again so i have been running it with one. he said he believes it to be the mother board ...i believe it's not worth the money to replace it.... wasn't sure of his diagnosis. or should i buy 2 new sticks and try running them together.. my wife says as long as its working like this to leave it alone lol...your rreply opinion would be greatly appreciated...thanks...carl

carl815

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

the tech said he tested the sockets and they passed he said he tested the ram and they passes. he then said he believed it to be the motherboard.. when he put one in it ran and is still running, we are using a cooling pad.. he said when he put the both in it ran too hot and will crash..wasn't sure of his diagnosis, motherboard is expensive and probably not worth the money to replace it. I wasn't sure if i should purchase 2 new sticks and take the chance, to see what happens..he said it is running on one but no telling for how long, and the 2 paired would overheat. thanks for your opinion and i would appreciate a respose ... it helps....

carl815

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

i am not satisfied with the tech diagnosis, you know when you dont know, and you have to trust someone, but i am not tech savy I would like to have this laptop back to specs with 2 rams but if he's right ...crash so i was looking to find out if this was something that people hear of and have found solutions etc.