alterlvian

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Quest I on IS

Motherboard Max Memory is 16GB
I buy 2x8 GBs - dual channel type - ram
My Video Card has 1gb of ram on the card
64bit OS

Does this create a problem with dual channel?
Would I lose any memory at all because of Motherboard Mem.Max., or would my OS take that extra Video Ram for use?
Wich ram modual will lose some gb in ram due to maxing and overflow. Video or 8x2 16 GB of ram?

Since I reach the max memory, and my Video Card is also taken up some space, there could be a problem. In this situation, the Motherboard would have it's memory maxed, and there might be overflow. There could be a problem with the motherboard NOT registering 1gb of ram from either the Video Card or the Dual Channel 16GBs of Ram.

My plans are to get 2x8 gb dual ram for my max. Then I would get another 8-16 for ramdisk space, so I can give some temp files, a place to go rather than them attacking my ssd.

P.S. (hidden question)
Can I use add extra ram as disk space with ramdisk, IF I already reached my motherboards ram limit?

Solution

Ok I'll try to answer a few questions.

First Video Card memory is completely separate from main memory, the OS won't use it for anything period. The Video Drivers will use it for texture storage and various rendering related tasks.

Now you need to determine what DIMM's your MB takes. 8GB DIMM support is rare right now and typically you only see them on server / workstation class boards, which I can assume yours is not. A high end board will have four slots and a max of 32GB memory if it supported 8GB DIMMs, otherwise it will be 4 slots 16GB memory if it only supports up to 4GB DIMMs.

A 64-bit OS can access 2^64 bits of memory. So any quantity of RAM you have will be usable. Video memory is not added to this total, it has a separate access mechanism.

RAMDisks are unique creatures. I happen to use 1GB of memory as a RAMDisk myself. RAMDisks must be created out of main memory, meaning within that 16GB your board supports. I doubt you'll want to create a 8GB RAMdisk as it's use's are limited, but that's your prerogative. A RAMDisk is faster then any known storage medium, including SSDs. It's' only temporary though, the moment power goes out the data is gone. Their useless for permanent data storage but absolutely amazing as a temporary work space.

I have a 1GB RAMDisk that I remapped the temp folders on Windows 7 to. It maintains my browser cache and acts as the temp disk for installing programs or working with archive files. I really wish Windows 7 would have a native RAMDisk management system rather then me having to use an outside third party tool.

Solution