djnin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hello,

I have been getting the New CPU Detected problem for a while now and have used every method from changing the CMOS battery to Flashing the BIOS with no luck, and it's killing me as I want to overclock my x4 630 since its holding my 6970 back.

Now the one thing I haven't done is check the CPU pins (I didn't pull out the CPU when I applied a Ninja Sythe 3 heatsink) but I want to make sure everything alright.

My question is, I have no thermal paste around, will I need to apply new thermal paste after taking off the heatsink and reapplying it?

Solution
New heat sink compound is preferred, but not compulsory, especially if you're put some new compound on the heatsink/CPU contact patch recently (like less than a month ago). If it gets dirty however (dusty, etc), wipe off ALL the old compound CAREFULLY (you don't want compound in your CPU socket :/) with a soft cloth/tissue dabbed with a bit of alcohol (not whisky, the stuff you use to clean CD's is fine).

Apply a BB-size amount in the middle of the CPU upon reinstallation, and let the pressure from the heatsink on the CPU spread it to where it needs to go.
It sounds to me like you have overclocked your main system memory.
When you do this it also increases the Front side bus of the cpu. Amd called it HT
Cpu and memory are Synchronic.

So the speed of the cpu will increase to a higher Mhz. That will cause the bios to think a new cpu has been put in.
And yes it`s a good idea to get some more thermal paste, make sure you clean the old stuff off and start fresh for good contact.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
New heat sink compound is preferred, but not compulsory, especially if you're put some new compound on the heatsink/CPU contact patch recently (like less than a month ago). If it gets dirty however (dusty, etc), wipe off ALL the old compound CAREFULLY (you don't want compound in your CPU socket :/) with a soft cloth/tissue dabbed with a bit of alcohol (not whisky, the stuff you use to clean CD's is fine).

Apply a BB-size amount in the middle of the CPU upon reinstallation, and let the pressure from the heatsink on the CPU spread it to where it needs to go.

Solution