Your question
Solved

Not sure which motherboard is the best foundation for AM3+

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
October 3, 2011 7:49:11 PM

Hey guys, I am in the process of a new build in a CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced. It's currently a Frankenstein, as I have a lame Foxconn Aloe mobo from a pre-built HP with a Phenom II X4 945 3.0ghz (not oc'd and with stock AMD cooler) with a Radeon HD 4850. I have upgraded the power supply to a Corsair 850W. My next purchase is the mobo+ram and I am a bit torn on the three boards below. I know Asus and Gigabyte are great, as I've used them in the past.

I considered switching to Intel, but I just don't think it justifies adding the cost of a processor, as I would like to buy a nice graphics card quite soon as well (hopefully in the Radeon 6000 family). So, my question is, which of these three boards do you think is the best value for the money? I don't mind spending money if it will land me a rock solid mobo that lasts for years. Also, I DO know they are all AM3+, as I want to prepare for the release of Bulldozer :ange: 

For reference, I'm currently planning to put 8gb of Gskill Ripjaw ram on the board, but I wanted a consensus on the board(s) first.

ASRock

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gigabyte

Asus

More about : motherboard foundation am3

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2011 8:45:11 PM

I'd go for the gigabyte board because I've had a few not-so-great experiences with asus in the past, and it looks cooler out of three too.

And yes the ripjaws will work fine on that board, any dual channel ddr3 kit up to 1866 will infact.
October 3, 2011 11:34:04 PM

wiinippongamer said:
I'd go for the gigabyte board because I've had a few not-so-great experiences with asus in the past, and it looks cooler out of three too.

And yfes the ripjaws will work fine on that board, any dual channel ddr3 kit up to 1866 will infact.

I get ya. Does the Gigabyte board have the EFI bios like Asus? I've heard that new interface is glorious and really intuitive.
m
l
Related resources
October 3, 2011 11:48:10 PM

anxious_galaxyhopper said:
I get ya. Does the Gigabyte board have the EFI bios like Asus? I've heard that new interface is glorious and really intuitive.

A quick google search would answer that one!
Gigabyte does use UEFI but it doesn't work the same as the ASUS. ASUS is supposedly a full UEFI. Gigabyte uses a 'hybrid-efi' It an EFI bootloader with a bios to handle the functions after the Power On Self Test. It allows the the use of drives larger than 2.2 TB, but doesn't have the full gui configuration interface.

[http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20941]
m
l
October 4, 2011 7:33:43 AM

joe_newbuilder said:
A quick google search would answer that one!
Gigabyte does use UEFI but it doesn't work the same as the ASUS. ASUS is supposedly a full UEFI. Gigabyte uses a 'hybrid-efi' It an EFI bootloader with a bios to handle the functions after the Power On Self Test. It allows the the use of drives larger than 2.2 TB, but doesn't have the full gui configuration interface.

[http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20941]

Yeah, I was at a concert on my phone, so laziness took over!

I don't mind if it's a hybrid as long as the interface is intelligible. I am honestly more torn between Gigabyte and ASRock at the moment. For the money, I just don't really see the need to spend the extra $30 just for the ASUS board. Do you have any experience with ASRock?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 8:11:39 AM

Based on my experience of 20 years building high end PCs I too would recommend the Gigabyte mobo over other brands for performance and reliability.
m
l
October 4, 2011 6:56:51 PM

beenthere said:
Based on my experience of 20 years building high end PCs I too would recommend the Gigabyte mobo over other brands for performance and reliability.

Sounds good. It's just been so long since I've built, I feel rusty and out of practice :heink:  The last time I built a custom was when Intel announced dual core processors! So, this is my first AMD build. Is there another Gigabyte board you feel is better, or did I nail it pretty well with that one?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 8:13:19 PM

cheapest AM3+ supported mobo I've seen is $130 from asrock, but it's a 870 chipset one, only up to 16gb memory, and not as much PCIE lanes( slower CF), I think the gigabyte is a pretty good choice
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 8:16:41 PM

Does 990fx have support for PCIE 3.0? Anyone knows?
m
l
October 4, 2011 10:47:35 PM

wiinippongamer said:
Does 990fx have support for PCIE 3.0? Anyone knows?

I'm not sure. Are there any 3.0 devices out yet? I thought the newest was still at 2.1 with the amd video cards.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 10:54:58 PM

The 7000 series of cards will be 3.0, thought I don't think they come close to bottlenecking 2.0 already, maybe the top dual card could take advantage of it.
m
l
October 5, 2011 2:28:35 AM

That could lead to fantastic results. I decided to go with the Gigabyte motherboard. Apparently they are at revision 1.2 for the board. It seems as though Newegg might still have a stock of old revisions. seeing as It's a bit cheaper to drive to a microcenter, do you think they will have old revisions as well?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2011 2:36:57 AM

Why would you want the old revision over the 1.2 one?
m
l
October 5, 2011 3:05:28 AM

wiinippongamer said:
Why would you want the old revision over the 1.2 one?

I DO want the newest revision. I was saying I hear reports that newegg still has a batch of the old revisions and I was asking if you thought a local microcenter may have the newest revisions in stock.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2011 3:31:48 AM

I don't know really
m
l
October 5, 2011 4:33:05 AM

I figure it might be less of a hassle to drive a bit to exchange it as opposed to sending in a board and waiting for the correct revision.
m
l
October 12, 2011 7:28:14 PM

Best answer selected by anxious_galaxyhopper.
m
l