Any chance I can fix this drive?

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
My desktop is currently taken apart as I am doing my water cooling loop right now. I needed a file I created on my desktop, which was on my desktop's hard drive.

So, I took apart a WD My Book and tried plugging in my HDD into my laptop. Within the first few seconds, the drive started smoking. I unplugged it immediately. I then tried plugging the drive into my brother's computer. His computer wouldn't even boot unless I removed the drive. Stupidly, I do not currently have a backup solution. I think it's time I invested in one...

Anyway, I removed the PCB and this is what I found:

LL

LL

Is there any chance I could fix this drive? Or can I at least retrieve the data off it?

Solution
The drive appears to have sustained an overvoltage on the +12V input? Did you try to power it with your 19V laptop adapter?

If so, then the solution is to snip out the shorted 12V TVS diode. That's the cracked component at the right hand edge of the PCB, at one corner of the SDRAM, and just below the screw hole. The other three damaged components appear to be inductors. At least one of them must be OK, otherwise the drive wouldn't be shorting your computer's power supply.

See http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/TVS_diode_FAQ.html
The drive appears to have sustained an overvoltage on the +12V input? Did you try to power it with your 19V laptop adapter?

If so, then the solution is to snip out the shorted 12V TVS diode. That's the cracked component at the right hand edge of the PCB, at one corner of the SDRAM, and just below the screw hole. The other three damaged components appear to be inductors. At least one of them must be OK, otherwise the drive wouldn't be shorting your computer's power supply.

See http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/TVS_diode_FAQ.html

Solution

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Turns out I was using an 18v power supply to power the external enclosure (which the drive was hooked up to when it started smoking). So yes it was an overvoltage.

How would I go about snipping out the diode? I'm pretty comfortable with electronics, but I've never removing anything like that.

Do you think I'd still be able to RMA after retrieving my data? Thanks so much for your help :)

EDIT: I think it may have been on the +5v input actually, since the diode is marked with a QA

An overvoltage usually damages the 12V input. The 5V input is usually shielded from damage by the 5V switchmode DC-DC converter on the bridge board.

I have identified the components for you:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/temp/TVS_diodes.jpg

My FAQ tells you what to do, including how to measure the diode (multimeter) and how to remove it (flush cutters).

As for an RMA, ask WD. Personally I would think that you should not be entitled to a replacement drive, but WD may choose to waive their disclaimer.

BTW, is that really a WD drive? What is the model number on the drive's label?

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
It's actually a seagate drive. The model number is st2000dl003.

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
It was a Seagate drive, but I was using it in a WD enclosure.

ebanaz

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

I just want to express my gratitude to fzabkar for taking the time and effort to share his knowledge on this subject. I plugged my Seagate 2T GoFlex Desk into my printers 18V power supply . Result dead drive .
This thread and fzabkar's links pointed me to the solution .

In my case none of the components had fried and the 12V TVS diode had a resistance of 28ohms both directions . I thought I would give it a shot anyway and desoldered one end of the diode ( very tiny joint). Plugged it in and it fired up . Thanks again .

Mmmmm as I write this I'm wondering if I just had a bad connection somewhere that reassembly fixed . Couldn't live with the question so I soldered the diode back in . It didn't spin up nothing . Took the diode out it works fine again. THANK YOU . I wish I could buy you a couple of drinks .