Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My Nvidia GPU driver is causing my computer to freeze

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2010 5:20:45 PM

I have a custom built system from late 2008 (specs below). I recently set it up to dual boot with Win XP Pro and Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit on a Maxtor basics 500GB and Western Digital Cavier blue 640GB respectively.

I started out by unplugging the 640GB HDD and setting up Win XP on the 500GB. I then setup Win 7 on the 640GB HDD, which installed a convenient boot manager that allowed me to boot into either OS at start up.

About a week after I set this up, my computer froze randomly while I was watching a video online. I wasn't even able to ALT+CTRL+DEL. After I manually shut down and restarted, it kept freezing at the Windows logo screen, in both OS's.

I suspected that my new HDD drive was to blame. I tried to repair the start up using the recovery manager, but it would display an error message saying that it was unable to repair the problem automatically. I was also unable to do a system restore because I always turn the feature off when I reformat, nor did I have a system image that I could use.

I decided to unplug the 500GB and reformat and reinstall Win XP on my 640GB HDD, which was the set up that I had before the dual boot configuration.

After installation, I was able to install my chipset, network, and sound drivers, but when I tried to install my Nvidia drivers (258.96), the computer kept freezing at the Windows logo screen.

I then tried to switch my GPU to PCI-E slot 2, which resulted in the same freezing at start up.

I rebooted and selected "use last known good configuration". It then loaded to the desktop with the Nvidia drivers improperly configured.

When I tried to open the Nvidia control panel it said, "The Nvidia display extension cannot be created. Possible reasons include: Version mismatch. Reinstalling the drivers may solve this problem". Another window then popped up saying, "Nvidia display settings are not available. An Nvidia graphics card was not detected in your system". Also, GPU-Z didn't show any of my GPU specs, everything just came up blank.

I tried to uninstall the 258.96 drivers and install the 197.45 (April) drivers, which also did nothing.

I fear that my GPU is done for, and because I didn't register it in the first 30 days of purchase, it is not protected under warranty. :(  Could this be a motherboard problem? How would I be able to tell if it was?

I'm out of ideas guys and don't know where to go from here. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My full system specs:

ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo wolfdale 3.16 ghz

EVGA Nvidia Geforce 9800 gx2

4 gigs of Corsair Dominator DDR-2 1066

Antec True power Quattro 850 Watt PSU

Antec 900 case

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2010 5:45:31 PM

Hey Spellbinder,

I had an EVGA 9800 gx2 before that burned out on me, I didn't register it either but EVGA was SUPER AWESOME KIND TO ME and still accepted my GPU and gave me a GTX 285 as a replacement.

Just in case, I would try to get another video card to try out first, just to be doubly sure that it's your GPU.
September 16, 2010 6:49:28 PM

Excellent advice Boris. Thanks.

I will contact them promptly and see what they can do for me. :D 

Btw, how is it possible to differentiate whether your GPU has burned out or whether you are having motherboard trouble?
Score
Related resources
a c 611 U Graphics card
September 16, 2010 8:31:34 PM

spellbinder2050 said:
Excellent advice Boris. Thanks.

I will contact them promptly and see what they can do for me. :D 

Btw, how is it possible to differentiate whether your GPU has burned out or whether you are having motherboard trouble?

The best way would be to try another graphics card. If you don't have a spare, I wonder if you can buy a cheapo card from a local store, try it, then return it to the store for a refund?
Score
September 24, 2010 1:02:07 PM

Best answer selected by spellbinder2050.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 1:05:36 PM

Werent Maxtor's bought out by Seagate? They had shitty HDD's, although I still have my 200gb HDD from them that works.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2010 7:20:36 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!