Running UT2004 on my two networked computers

Having a bit of a problem getting UT2004 to work across my network.

All the time one of the machines comes up and says that the reg key is
invalid and it will not run - it says it checked with the server and
it was wrong.

Now I don't want to play online, just between my two computers at
home.

Is there a way around this?

Meltdown

Gineok enlightened us with:
> All the time one of the machines comes up and says that the reg key
> is invalid and it will not run - it says it checked with the server
> and it was wrong.

So basically, you're playing the game on two computers, but you paid
for one.

> Now I don't want to play online, just between my two computers at
> home.
>
> Is there a way around this?

Please, before asking the same question that has been asked here loads
of times, check our FAQ. Your answer is at
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/166

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

"Gineok" <Gineok@gecko.com> wrote in message
> Having a bit of a problem getting UT2004 to work across my network.
>
> All the time one of the machines comes up and says that the reg key is
> invalid and it will not run - it says it checked with the server and
> it was wrong.
>
> Now I don't want to play online, just between my two computers at
> home.

You still have to buy a second copy. One for each computer you plan on running
it on (at the same time, maybe??? check the licsence agreement).

> Is there a way around this?

There is always a way around everything. However it is illegal and will not be
answered here.

Jim

MeltDown wrote on 9/1/2004 5:35 PM:

> Gineok enlightened us with:
>
>>All the time one of the machines comes up and says that the reg key
>>is invalid and it will not run - it says it checked with the server
>>and it was wrong.
>

> So basically, you're playing the game on two computers, but you paid
> for one.
>

>>Now I don't want to play online, just between my two computers at
>>home.
>>
>>Is there a way around this?
>

> Please, before asking the same question that has been asked here loads
> of times, check our FAQ. Your answer is at
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/166
>
> MeltDown

You gotta love the license Nazis in here. You have a whole lot more of
these 'holier than thou' posts coming for that one, guaranteed.

I will try to locate a solution as well. The worthless FAQ that Mr
Attitude posted only tells you that it can be done and not how to do it.

MY GOD. The guy wants to play the game on a couple PCs in his house. He
isnt copying it and posting in on Kazaa or passing it out to friends.
Get over it!!

Jim

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

"Scott" <idontw@ntspam.com> wrote in message
> man you guys are sad....
> To the OP
> just host the server without ADVERTISING
> this way the server never connects to the master server and
> they cant check your cd key
>
> Scott

Actually, as I recall, it does still contact the master server to verify it.

You would have to block the master servers in your hosts file, so that the game
can't find them at all.

Meltdown

Jim enlightened us with:
> You gotta love the license Nazis in here. You have a whole lot more
> of these 'holier than thou' posts coming for that one, guaranteed.

Epic has set certain limitations of what you are allowed to do with
their software. If you do not like these limitations, don't play the
game. They have spent years on building this game, and they deserve to
be paid for it.

> I will try to locate a solution as well. The worthless FAQ that Mr
> Attitude posted only tells you that it can be done and not how to do
> it.

The OP asked "is there a way around this?" and the FAQ answered that
to the fullest: "yes".

> MY GOD. The guy wants to play the game on a couple PCs in his house.
> He isnt copying it and posting in on Kazaa or passing it out to
> friends. Get over it!!

If you don't agree to the license terms, discuss them with Epic, not
with us.

MeltDown

PS: Playing the game on a LAN with one copy is a LOT simpler than
modifying your firewall.

"nigoek" <tnigoek@gecko.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:31:45 +0100, "JC" <.@.somehwere> wrote:
>
> >If it is the windows host file you will find ithere:
> >C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
> >It is a file with not extension, and what it basically is is a directory
> >where windows looks first for IP numbers of knowed server, to make it
> >quicker instead of looking for it. From here you can assign the IP you
> >desire to a given server, if you add an invalid IP, that server will not be
> >reached. This is very usefull also to block undesirable websites.
> >This is an example of a piece of my HOST file
> >
> >127.0.0.1 ad.linkexchange.com
> >127.0.0.1 ad.linkexchange.net
> >127.0.0.1 ad.linkexchange.nl
> >127.0.0.1 adnetwork.bcentral.com
> >127.0.0.1 banner.linkexchange.net
> >127.0.0.1 banner.linkexchange.nl
> >
> >Windows will look for this servers at 127.0.... and there therefore not
> >reach them. My host file has a few thousand blocked sites :)
>
> ok then, what are the ips of the servers responsible for checking the
> reg key?

You don't want the IP addresses, you want the domain names of them. I'm sure
with a little bit of searching you can find the names of both the master
servers.

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:29:51 -0400, "Scott" <idontw@ntspam.com> wrote:

>man you guys are sad....
>To the OP
>just host the server without ADVERTISING

Thanks very much for the answer - its appreciated.

Is there some command line switch I need to implement to make this
happen? Or some option to turn off?

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 23:35:38 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Gineok enlightened us with:
>> All the time one of the machines comes up and says that the reg key
>> is invalid and it will not run - it says it checked with the server
>> and it was wrong.
>
>So basically, you're playing the game on two computers, but you paid
>for one.
>
>> Now I don't want to play online, just between my two computers at
>> home.
>>
>> Is there a way around this?
>
>Please, before asking the same question that has been asked here loads
>of times, check our FAQ. Your answer is at
>http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/166
>
>MeltDown

Don't have a meltdown...

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:21:01 -0400, Jim <Jim@no.com> wrote:

>MeltDown wrote on 9/1/2004 5:35 PM:
>
>> Gineok enlightened us with:
>>
>>>All the time one of the machines comes up and says that the reg key
>>>is invalid and it will not run - it says it checked with the server
>>>and it was wrong.
>>

>> So basically, you're playing the game on two computers, but you paid
>> for one.
>>

>>>Now I don't want to play online, just between my two computers at
>>>home.
>>>
>>>Is there a way around this?
>>

>> Please, before asking the same question that has been asked here loads
>> of times, check our FAQ. Your answer is at
>> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/166
>>
>> MeltDown
>
>You gotta love the license Nazis in here. You have a whole lot more of
>these 'holier than thou' posts coming for that one, guaranteed.
>
>I will try to locate a solution as well. The worthless FAQ that Mr
>Attitude posted only tells you that it can be done and not how to do it.
>
>MY GOD. The guy wants to play the game on a couple PCs in his house. He
>isnt copying it and posting in on Kazaa or passing it out to friends.
>Get over it!!

ROTFL!

Well, I appreciate all your efforts you are doing here in this NG, but why
not helping somebody that is not in the line of Epic's licence agreements?
As you are not an employee of Epic, why not to help somebody who doesn't
harm you or anybody else? He has bought his copy of the game. The way you
react here seems for me a little like a net-cop. As said he didn't harm
anybody, just asking for a little help in this community.
Anybody who bought this game has given money to the developers of that
game, so we will hopefully have a UT2005, UT2006 etc.

greets

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

"Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Well, I appreciate all your efforts you are doing here in this NG, but why
> not helping somebody that is not in the line of Epic's licence agreements?
> As you are not an employee of Epic, why not to help somebody who doesn't
> harm you or anybody else? He has bought his copy of the game. The way you
> react here seems for me a little like a net-cop. As said he didn't harm
> anybody, just asking for a little help in this community.
> Anybody who bought this game has given money to the developers of that
> game, so we will hopefully have a UT2005, UT2006 etc.
>
> greets

Because, unfortunately, there is a chance that we could be sued for helping
someone violate copywrite laws, or some BS like that.

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

"count zero" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:55:05 +0100, "smeggedd" <smeggedd@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Errrrmmmmm disconnect from the internet to play on lan. no connection to the
> >server thus no checking of the cd-key.
> >
> >LOL..
>
> Probably isn't that easy... No connection to the internet, no
> verifying the CD key and no game...

It is that easy...it will try to verify the key as an online-enabled key, but it
won't stop you if it can't connect. The installer still verifies that the key
was valid.

cypher10110

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Dont be so dense guys (posting in an archive lol)

For anybody interested you can block the UT2k4 master server pretty easily.

A)
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
open this in notepad

Paste this at the bottom:

127.0.0.1 ut2004master2.epicgames.com
127.0.0.1 ut2004master1.epicgames.com

B)
Alternatively you can add an exception to block this IP:
216.27.56.6
(outgoing and/or incoming - doesnt matter) you can do this on your router or firewall usually.

Combine either of these with a free program called hamachi (google it) and you can play across the web with other friends as if it were a LAN game.