Can't Access Files

cda1987

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Hello, I recently Reinstalled windows 7. I have a External Hard drive I keep videos, music and Backup Data on, after the reinstall one folder in question denied me access. After researching on the internet, I found out I had to make myself the owner of the folder. I did that, each individual video denies access when trying to play in in vlc. I've tried to make myself owner of the video and successfully did but still wouldn't play.

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL

Any Advice on how to resolve this would be fantastic.

-Cameron

"VLC is unable to open the MRL"

You are evidently trying to play videos that are stored on a remote server, not stored locally. The video files you think you have saved on your external hard drive are probably only hyperlinks to an online resource.

The problem is caused by your firewall. Please see tutorial video here: http://vlchelper.com/vlc-is-unable-to-open-the-mrl/

cda1987

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
I'll try this solution but they are not hyperlinks, why are videos from a cam recorder, and video recordings of games. All the videos are made by myself before reformatting.

Another thing is I've tried to copy the videos / folder to my local Disk and I get a " File Access Denied" Pop up. I've moved ownership over to My account via the security settings. I have many video's of family reunions that are not replaceable.

Another Update.

I noticed when trying to transfer Ownership of a specific video Right click > security > Advance > owner Tab > edit > other user groups > advanced > find now > administrator It doesn't seem to save, after I select new owner.

http://postimage.org/image/prv7a910v/

cda1987

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
This Topic can be closed now, I've figured out what i was doing wrong. Thanks everyone for taking time and looking at this.

How I fixed:

Found this .reg file that added a shortcut to the list when your right click on a file.

Open up notepad

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

copy and pasted that and saved it as a .reg and ran it. Every file I've taken ownership of using the shortcut has worked. :)

mnmsquared

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

I am having the exact same issue. I tried to copy and paste what your registry edit onto not pad, saved it as a .reg and ran it but I get an error message that it is not a registry script. Any help would be appreciated.